Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Definition of stopover and <24h connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Definition of stopover and <24h connection?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Definition of stopover and <24h connection?

Apparently Aeroplan allows for one-way awards to have a <24h connection but not a stopover. So I am wondering, if doing this <24h connection, how does it work for the checked-in luggage? Can you have luggage checked-in not all the way? Like YYZ-FRA-24h-ZRH and pick up your checked-in luggage in FRA to leave it there, and the next day (<24h) take the flight to ZRH without checking in luggage? Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Generally it's checked through to the next <~8h connection unless that's overnight.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
You can check all the way through or "short check" to one of your connection locations. Just need to specify carefully when you're checking in (and good idea to look at the bag tags and make sure they have the right airport on them).
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:42 am

The above 2 posts contradict each other. Which comment is correct.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Not really. The way I read it one comment suggests an overnight connection does not necessarily see luggage checked in all the way through, the other says you can short check-in the luggage.

But I agree, more comments and experiences are welcome!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:40 am
alc

I had done short check before. Just ask the check-in agent specifically where you want your check-in to.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by winebug
Not really. The way I read it one comment suggests an overnight connection does not necessarily see luggage checked in all the way through, the other says you can short check-in the luggage.

Good, act on it.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:56 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by winebug
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer

Nope, I meant that if your connection is less than something like 8 hours (though it may be shorter; I think AC mentions the specific length of time in their tariffs), it'll be checked through. If it's overnight, it usually won't be, even if it's something like a 00:01 arrival and 06:00 departure.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
pewpew was talking about the "default" action. I was talking about what you can request. So different, but not contradictory
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by pewpew

Nope, I meant that if your connection is less than something like 8 hours (though it may be shorter; I think AC mentions the specific length of time in their tariffs), it'll be checked through. If it's overnight, it usually won't be, even if it's something like a 00:01 arrival and 06:00 departure.
Where did you get this information? This hasn't been my experience with long/overnight connections, although admittedly they have all involved airlines other than AC.

-BA FCO-LHR (overnight)-YUL: luggage checked through, no handling of it until received in YUL.

-AC YQB-YYZ, connecting to LO-WAW: daytime connection over 8 hours (8:15 I think); luggage checked through, no handling of it until received in WAW (although it was put on the earlier LO flight, so had to go to lost luggage office to pick it up ).

-TK ZRH-IST (overnight)-YYZ (overnight connecting to AC)-YQB: checked through, no handling of it in IST, had to pick up and keep it overnight in YYZ. Technically, the bag was checked through at YYZ (tagged to YQB), I just couldn't leave it at YYZ overnight. Dropped it off, with same tags, the next morning.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Twickenham
Originally Posted by pewpew

Where did you get this information? This hasn't been my experience with long/overnight connections, although admittedly they have all involved airlines other than AC.

-BA FCO-LHR (overnight)-YUL: luggage checked through, no handling of it until received in YUL.

-AC YQB-YYZ, connecting to LO-WAW: daytime connection over 8 hours (8:15 I think); luggage checked through, no handling of it until received in WAW (although it was put on the earlier LO flight, so had to go to lost luggage office to pick it up ).

-TK ZRH-IST (overnight)-YYZ (overnight connecting to AC)-YQB: checked through, no handling of it in IST, had to pick up and keep it overnight in YYZ. Technically, the bag was checked through at YYZ (tagged to YQB), I just couldn't leave it at YYZ overnight. Dropped it off, with same tags, the next morning.
I've generally had agents refuse to check overnight. As an aside, the contract of Carriage entitles you to get your luggage at every x hour layover (and I think x = 8 but might be 6). But you do notice that only one of your examples is AC-related, right ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.