Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: YCC Itinerary Help/Advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: YCC Itinerary Help/Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
And you don't truly have an hour (or hour and fifteen, or whatever). You must be at the gate for boarding a set amount of time before the stated departure time, usually between 15-30 minutes depending on the airline. And then factor in the walk to the departure gate, which can easily take another 5- 10 minutes. That cuts your customs/security clearing window down to probably half an hour at best (for a 20 minute gate cut off), to significantly less at worst, if your gate is farther away, you move slower, someone needs to go to the bathroom, etc, etc.

Don't mistakenly think you have an hour connection time and can waltz onto the plane at T-1 second. Gate agents must close out the flight at ~T-10 or ~T-15 and you will not be allowed to board after that time. You probably have closer to 30 minutes for customs/security/luggage pick up and bag drop, in your scenario.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gchc
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I don't think I travel enough into the US to warrant/hassle of getting a Nexus card...
And yet, here we are, talking about how badly you want to make your flight...

It will get you through domestic security faster as well.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
And you don't truly have an hour (or hour and fifteen, or whatever). You must be at the gate for boarding a set amount of time before the stated departure time, usually between 15-30 minutes depending on the airline. And then factor in the walk to the departure gate, which can easily take another 5- 10 minutes. That cuts your customs/security clearing window down to probably half an hour at best (for a 20 minute gate cut off), to significantly less at worst, if your gate is farther away, you move slower, someone needs to go to the bathroom, etc, etc.

Don't mistakenly think you have an hour connection time and can waltz onto the plane at T-1 second. Gate agents must close out the flight at ~T-10 or ~T-15 and you will not be allowed to board after that time. You probably have closer to 30 minutes for customs/security/luggage pick up and bag drop, in your scenario.
Very true, it seems like a general consensus that I should look at other options in order to make it in time.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
And yet, here we are, talking about how badly you want to make your flight...

It will get you through domestic security faster as well.
Yes I do want to make my flight, however, I am just exploring other options!

I only travel 3 - 4 times a year and they are usually domestic. I have heard that the NEXUS application + fee is only worth it mostly for people who travel frequently; especially to the US. However, I am unfamiliar with the Nexus card, so perhaps I am wrong? Maybe it's even easier than calling Aeroplan to change my itinerary
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Very true, it seems like a general consensus that I should look at other options in order to make it in time.

Yes I do want to make my flight, however, I am just exploring other options!

I only travel 3 - 4 times a year and they are usually domestic. I have heard that the NEXUS application + fee is only worth it mostly for people who travel frequently; especially to the US. However, I am unfamiliar with the Nexus card, so perhaps I am wrong? Maybe it's even easier than calling Aeroplan to change my itinerary
5 years for $50 - if you value your time at all it pays for itself very quickly.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly_yag
5 years for $50 - if you value your time at all it pays for itself very quickly.
I guess I will look into it!

Question now is would I make it in these following scenarios:
  1. I have Nexus + Need to check baggage
  2. I have Nexus + Don't need to check baggage
  3. I don't have Nexus + Don't need to check baggage

I will also contact Aeroplan to see what they think and see what they can do.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Very detailed response again WR Cage! Greatly appreciate it!

How did you find those other flight details? To be more precise and get more information, I will be departing on the 15th of December which is a Tuesday. I have never to the US so I am unfamiliar with their customs security process. How long does security take? I have gone through international security at YVR numerous times and it has always been completed in 10-15 minutes max!
Your welcome.

I found the other flight details from personal experience. In past work lives I had major ongoing projects in DEN that necessitated weekly trips outbound Monday and returning Friday. The DEN flight was at 6:30am, and with nexus I could get to the airport terminal at 5:45am and still make the boarding time.

Also I watch Calgary flights and routes very closely. Likely most other Flyertalkers do the same for their home airports.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Your welcome.

I found the other flight details from personal experience. In past work lives I had major ongoing projects in DEN that necessitated weekly trips outbound Monday and returning Friday. The DEN flight was at 6:30am, and with nexus I could get to the airport terminal at 5:45am and still make the boarding time.

Also I watch Calgary flights and routes very closely. Likely most other Flyertalkers do the same for their home airports.

Ah.. Very interesting!

On another note:

I just spoke with Aeroplan and the very-wonderful agent told me that if the 4:20PM flight the day before is available/open for rewards, then I will be able to switch it over! She said, depending on the agent they will either switch it over for free, or they will charge $90. On the reason when it might be a free switch, she told me that some agents, like herself, understand the situation of missing connecting flights as a result of Airport congestion/security.

After speaking with her, I will be checking weekly to see if there is any options that popup! I will most likely also sign up for the Nexus card as well just in case. ^^

Thanks all for the help!

Last edited by gchc; Jun 3, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I guess I will look into it!

Question now is would I make it in these following scenarios:
  1. I have Nexus + Need to check baggage
  2. I have Nexus + Don't need to check baggage
  3. I don't have Nexus + Don't need to check baggage

I will also contact Aeroplan to see what they think and see what they can do.
NEXUS and carry-on only is the way to ensure this connection.

Ah.. Very interesting!

On another note:

I just spoke with Aeroplan and the very-wonderful agent told me that if the 4:20PM flight the day before is available/open for rewards, then I will be able to switch it over! She said, depending on the agent they will either switch it over for free, or they will charge $90. On the reason when it might be a free switch, she told me that some agents, like herself, understand the situation of missing connecting flights as a result of Airport congestion/security.

After speaking with her, I will be checking weekly to see if there is any options that popup! I will most likely also sign up for the Nexus card as well just in case. ^^

Thanks all for the help!
That's... unusual. I was in a similar situation (I had a 71 minute UA to AC connection at LAX), and the only thing the agent said was "it's a valid connection". Of course I could have paid the $90 if R space had opened up, but screw that. Let them buy a ticket from United as well as from AC instead of just from AC. Maybe SFO-LAX costs them less than $90, but I'm not paying them to save them money.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:00 am
Original Poster

That's... unusual. I was in a similar situation (I had a 71 minute UA to AC connection at LAX), and the only thing the agent said was "it's a valid connection". Of course I could have paid the $90 if R space had opened up, but screw that. Let them buy a ticket from United as well as from AC instead of just from AC. Maybe SFO-LAX costs them less than $90, but I'm not paying them to save them money.
I made sure to confirm with the representative that it would be free. She said it really depends on the agent, some understand that you will not have enough time and it will save them grief/money for the missed flight and would just waive the fee. She also made sure that I understand that I absorb all the overnight hotel costs of re-booking the flight departure to the day before.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
NEXUS and carry-on only is the way to ensure this connection if the inbound from YQF is on-time. If it is delayed due to weather, mechanical, etc. all bets are off.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly_yag
NEXUS and carry-on only is the way to ensure this connection if the inbound from YQF is on-time. If it is delayed due to weather, mechanical, etc. all bets are off.
I am actually more worried about the weather causing a problem.... Alberta problems lol...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.