Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Accumulation on UA Codeshare Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

Hello,

I recently booked a crossborder itinerary through AC.com for SFO-YVR-YOW-YYZ-YVR-SFO. The SFO-YVR and YVR-SFO legs are operated by United with an AC codeshare flight number.

The entire itinerary was booked in Flex in V and W, including the SFO-YVR and YVR-SFO legs.

While V and W earn 100% miles for AC-operated flights AND UA-operated flights, I just saw that they only earned 50% for me because of the UA codeshare.

This seems extremely misleading on AC's part. Does anyone have any experience dealing with AC on such an issue? Should I even bother?
Old May 29, 2015, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Just give up. (based on experiences I read on here). Learn from the experience and be doubly careful next time. I have a bucket of sand for you to pound on...
Old May 29, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Just give up. (based on experiences I read on here). Learn from the experience and be doubly careful next time. I have a bucket of sand for you to pound on...
That's what I figured / feared. The difference in this case is just 800 miles, and now that I'm based in SFO, I'm probably switching to UA next year anyways.

Nevertheless, I want to make my displeasure known to the AC representatives on this board because I feel that this borders on deceptive. Yes - after some research, I now see that there is a link buried in the disclosure that addresses mileage accumulation specifically for codeshare flights. But when a fare class is 100%-accumulating on both AC and UA but only 50%-accumulating when marketed by AC and operated by UA, and there is no way to avoid it except by calling in, that's just not a customer-friendly approach to doing business. Shame on you, AC!
Old May 29, 2015, 10:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
One has to wonder why AC refuses to have a 100%-earning fare map to a 100%-earning fare on codeshares.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AC888
Nevertheless, I want to make my displeasure known to the AC representatives on this board because I feel that this borders on deceptive. ... Shame on you, AC!
Deceptive is maybe a strong word, but yes, it's absolutely shameful. If someone's paying more for a Flex ticket, they shouldn't be required to dig through AC's site to see if the codeshared flight will qualify for 100% miles.

Sadly, this forum is filled with similar experiences:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...te-change.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...skywest-7.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...eved-50-a.html
Old May 29, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by pewpew
One has to wonder why AC refuses to have a 100%-earning fare map to a 100%-earning fare on codeshares.
Remember when Tango (and reduced earning) was introduced on trans-border itins, one of the excuses was that it is done to "align booking classes with our star alliance partners".
Old May 29, 2015, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by AC888
Hello,

I recently booked a crossborder itinerary through AC.com for SFO-YVR-YOW-YYZ-YVR-SFO. The SFO-YVR and YVR-SFO legs are operated by United with an AC codeshare flight number.

The entire itinerary was booked in Flex in V and W, including the SFO-YVR and YVR-SFO legs.

While V and W earn 100% miles for AC-operated flights AND UA-operated flights, I just saw that they only earned 50% for me because of the UA codeshare.

This seems extremely misleading on AC's part. Does anyone have any experience dealing with AC on such an issue? Should I even bother?
start booking with UA, at least you will know your fare class when you book.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:43 pm

UA has as much to do with this as AC, but AC should be up front and call it Tango fare if not 100% for the code share part flight. It's not a 'flex' fare

UA on other hand has moved a lot of fares to the 50% bucket on trans border and they are not cheap fares. My last Houston flight was over $1,100 return to hit fare with 100% miles on UA.

Between AC lying and UA bs star alliance is really becoming worst of the 3 in North America. Too bad Westjet is happy to price /service in AC's shadow and not compete.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by xLuther
UA has as much to do with this as AC, but AC should be up front and call it Tango fare if not 100% for the code share part flight. It's not a 'flex' fare
This is the problem - the stupid labeling of fares as Tango and Flex - call it K,L,T,G,Y whatever - AC's "flex" terminology doesnt translate anywhere - so one cant really blame other airlines (not just UA) for mileage based on the exact letter fare code - and not some stupid flex/tango grouping.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rankourabu
This is the problem - the stupid labeling of fares as Tango and Flex - call it K,L,T,G,Y whatever - AC's "flex" terminology doesnt translate anywhere - so one cant really blame other airlines (not just UA) for mileage based on the exact letter fare code - and not some stupid flex/tango grouping.
Why should a customer be required to know the fare codes which give 100% miles? AC should just make sure that when it sells a Flex codeshare fare it maps to a 100%-yielding partner fare. They have all the info needed to do this.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ffsim
Why should a customer be required to know the fare codes which give 100% miles? AC should just make sure that when it sells a Flex codeshare fare it maps to a 100%-yielding partner fare. They have all the info needed to do this.
Ben, is there a reason this isn't done?
Old May 29, 2015, 9:55 pm

Just AC lying and marketing a fare that they know does not have benefits associated with a 'flex' fare

At very least false and misleading advertising infraction.

Don't list as 'flex' as defined by AC fare listings
Old May 30, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xLuther
Just AC lying and marketing a fare that they know does not have benefits associated with a 'flex' fare

At very least false and misleading advertising infraction.

Don't list as 'flex' as defined by AC fare listings
100% agree!
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: AP*SE SPG-PLAT
AC accumulation on UA codeshare

With the current state of affairs AC has axed most of the US routes that I typically fly. In order to take advantage of the Manulife insurance that AC has been providing I have been continuing to book the my flights on AC with a 014 ticket number. I have been booking flex fare typically through ORD but I have only been receiving 50% of the points because UA says that its discounted fare. Shouldn't I be getting 100% because I'm booking flex?
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:21 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by zsm1928
I have been booking flex fare typically through ORD but I have only been receiving 50% of the points because UA says that its discounted fare. Shouldn't I be getting 100% because I'm booking flex?

< Moderator hat on >

zsm1928​, I've merged your thread here since, as you can see, this is not a new issue. By the way, this thread was the first that came up when I did a quick Google search..........

< Moderator hat off >

Since the background is not explained in detail here, I'll explain.

Mileage accumulation depends on the fare class of the operating carrier (i.e. UA), not the marketing carrier (i.e. AC).

You could book a Latitude fare, but if it books in to K with UA, you would only get 50% miles. (Although that particular scenario is highly unlikely)

This is true of all carriers. You can book business class P with AC (earns 150%), but if you have an intra-Europe P segment on LH, it will only earn 50%.

Sometimes it's relatively easy to know in advance - usually if AC says you're in P on a codeshare of an LH metal segment, you'll be in P. With UA, it's not so easy.

If you want to know exactly what mileage accumulation you're going to get, you can book directly with UA.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 27, 2021 at 1:23 am Reason: Corrected typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.