Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

passport check at gate for pre-cleared flight???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

passport check at gate for pre-cleared flight???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anotheran2
A passport isn't required if you have government ID which is where I wrote Canadian photo ID (e.g. i've flown within canada with just a driver's license).

The grey area is when you fly over Canada airspace. I've been on a SEA to EWR flight that they did passport checks but I only recall that happening once.
Huh? Why would you even bring your passport for SEA-EWR?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Huh? Why would you even bring your passport for SEA-EWR?
If had the TSA ask for my passport and give my drivers license back at the security checkpoint (just recently too) flying domestically in the US.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
If had the TSA ask for my passport and give my drivers license back at the security checkpoint (just recently too) flying domestically in the US.
I've only had that when I was in SFO international, and my DL was more easily accessible than anything else.

But a passport is not required to fly SEA-EWR, so I'm curious what they'd do when you say "I don't have it. It's a domestic flight."
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I've only had that when I was in SFO international, and my DL was more easily accessible than anything else.

But a passport is not required to fly SEA-EWR, so I'm curious what they'd do when you say "I don't have it. It's a domestic flight."
It was probably because I was in the southern US where they'd never heard of British Columbia.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
It has been at least a decade since I abandoned any expectation of logic or common sense from CATSA, CBSA, TSA or CBP.

Example (1): your boarding pass will be checked at least twice and up to four times in less than five minutes while going through security. Do they really believe that something on it changed in the last 4 yards/5 seconds? Or that I'm not the same person I was 4 yards/5 seconds ago?

Example (2): why am I allowed to bring 99 ml of toothpaste in a 100 ml tube, but if it have 10 ml of toothpaste in a 130 ml tube I am deemed a threat to aviation safety?

Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:17 pm

It was probably because I was in the southern US where they'd never heard of British Columbia.
TSA in SEA sucks. I've had them refuse my Nexus card saying that I needed a passport for a domestic flight.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Originally Posted by yvrdude
I think the issue here is that you will be required to have your passport available when you disembark the plane in Canada in order to clear Canada Customs. If you don't have a passport then AC must fly you back to LAX on their dime. Having a passport when you go through security at LAX is different than having a passport when you enter the plane. If they do 100% check when you board, and if you show up at Canada Customs without one, then you must have disposed of the passport on the plane and this would be relatively easy to check. So... I assume that AC is managing their risk by the 100% check. I would do the same for my company if I had to manage that level of risk.
+1 on the risk management/airline responsibility.

In addition, while it feels like you've "entered the US" once you clear preclearance, you haven't quite really. You're not on US soil. In particular, preclearance of people on a flight is (always? sometimes?) limited to the scheduled destination*, which creates havoc if the flight has a diversion. And US immigration can change its mind -- I did have one flight a couple of years ago where the pilot came on after we landed in IAD and said that in spite of us all going through preclearance, the US authorities had decided during our flight that we needed to all pass through immigration. And there was INS at the plane gate also checking our passports as we deplaned (and then we needed to queue at the normal entry point). No explanations given why.

* I've always wondered about that. Why is diverting a plane of folks to a different US airport a problem, but an individual who has passed through preclearance can go and change themselves to a different flight and/or destination with no problem?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by lostinthewash
Not sure whether Pavlov would be scared or proud
Same people who take off their shoes at security for a domestic flight, I imagine
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not really how it works. More likely, they would think BC is some obscure US state.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
You're both right... you definitely don't need a passport when flying SEA-EWR until you try to produce a foreign DL.

Me @ TSA dude: "but this is a domestic flight, just use my DL to verify my identity"
TSA dude: "you're a foreigner and should have a passport, let me see it."

No idea what would've happened had I driven across with an enhanced DL
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:12 am

Question

Originally Posted by ffsim
You're both right... you definitely don't need a passport when flying SEA-EWR until you try to produce a foreign DL.

Me @ TSA dude: "but this is a domestic flight, just use my DL to verify my identity"
TSA dude: "you're a foreigner and should have a passport, let me see it."

No idea what would've happened had I driven across with an enhanced DL
I remember giving my passport to TSA in Puerto Rico for a domestic flight (although I can't recall if they asked for it), but the guy spent a few minutes looking at my stamps and US visas before letting me through.

Anyway, I guess this just goes to show I should keep carrying my passport
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Same people who take off their shoes at security for a domestic flight, I imagine
I appreciate when people with metal in their shoes do this instead of holding up the line while security scans their feet.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I remember giving my passport to TSA in Puerto Rico for a domestic flight (although I can't recall if they asked for it), but the guy spent a few minutes looking at my stamps and US visas before letting me through.

Anyway, I guess this just goes to show I should keep carrying my passport
You've gone through enough US airports to know that the TSA pretty much makes up rules along the way. Despite their rules on identification documents clearly stating that Canadian provincial driver's licenses are acceptable, they've always asked to see my passport.

In any case, and going back to the OP, it's incredible that a country that established an organization so intent on positively identifying passengers at the security checkpoint doesn't care about the identity of the passenger actually boarding the aircraft.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Sopwith
It has been at least a decade since I abandoned any expectation of logic or common sense from CATSA, CBSA, TSA or CBP.

Example (1): your boarding pass will be checked at least twice and up to four times in less than five minutes while going through security. Do they really believe that something on it changed in the last 4 yards/5 seconds? Or that I'm not the same person I was 4 yards/5 seconds ago?

Example (2): why am I allowed to bring 99 ml of toothpaste in a 100 ml tube, but if it have 10 ml of toothpaste in a 130 ml tube I am deemed a threat to aviation safety?

You should not rolleyes. Tube size plays a big roll in Aviation Security.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by ffsim
In any case, and going back to the OP, it's incredible that a country that established an organization so intent on positively identifying passengers at the security checkpoint doesn't care about the identity of the passenger actually boarding the aircraft.
I agree. If you are going to check ID, the boarding point would be the most logical spot. All other checks do not ensure the passenger and the name on the boarding pass match when boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.