Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Too many eUpgrades taken from account

Old May 27, 15, 1:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond

Flew a 3 segment run one itinerary.

LAX-YYC
YYC-YWG
YWG-YXE

Booked into M-Class with flight pass and had 8 eupgrade taken from my account. They took 4 credits for the LAX-YYC and another 4 credits for the YYC-YWG segment. When I spoke with the SE line when booking the flight I was told it would be 4 credits for the entire itinerary. When I check at the Preview eUpgrade requirements for your itinerary site it also says M class is 4 creidits.

Email just came back eUpgrades Reporting <[email protected]> email saying they took the right number of credits - 4 for each segment. This has happened before and whenever I file they fix, is this new? Or just a mistake?

I was reading through the terms and conditions for eUppgrades and found this tidbid, totally unrealated to my issue but found it interesting, it's at the end under Additional Rules -

Additional rules

eUpgrade Credits are not redeemable for cash or other consideration and may not be bartered or sold. Air Canada will consider void any eUpgrade Credits that have been bartered or sold. Air Canada reserves the right to terminate the Air Canada Altitude privileges of members who sell or barter their eUpgrade Credits, or who repeatedly fail to pay eUpgrade Add-ons.
eUpgrade Credits are the property of Air Canada. Air Canada reserves the right to, without notice, (a) modify the terms and conditions related to eUpgrade Credit usage and eUpgrade Add-ons, (b) add, modify, or delete eligible booking classes, and (c) cancel any upgrade request made in violation of the terms and conditions listed here, and (d) change upgrade priority rules. Upgrades are never guaranteed, and awarding of upgrades is subject to operational considerations which are at Air Canadas sole discretion.

How does one fail to pay the eUpgrade Add-on and how much leeway does one get to repeatedly fail???
Old May 27, 15, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by YVRorange View Post
How does one fail to pay the eUpgrade Add-on and how much leeway does one get to repeatedly fail???
Interesting. In your case, and i've done what you've done once last year, it should be 4. However, to answer your specific question, I'm going to assume it's the add-ons that are charged for non SE members that are charged for certain destinations. Perhaps they pay the $500/$750 and then do a chargeback? Then AC kills all of your eupgrade credits? As far as how much leeway? No idea, have never paid these surcharges.
Old May 27, 15, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by YVRorange View Post
Flew a 3 segment run one itinerary.

LAX-YYC
YYC-YWG
YWG-YXE

Booked into M-Class with flight pass and had 8 eupgrade taken from my account. They took 4 credits for the LAX-YYC and another 4 credits for the YYC-YWG segment. When I spoke with the SE line when booking the flight I was told it would be 4 credits for the entire itinerary. When I check at the Preview eUpgrade requirements for your itinerary site it also says M class is 4 creidits.
How long was the stop/connection between LAX-YYC AND YYC-YWG?
Old May 27, 15, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post
How long was the stop/connection between LAX-YYC AND YYC-YWG?
Yes, it's a single itinerary, but could the ticket have a broken fare or an official stopover?
Old May 27, 15, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
I've had this happen before when I had an overnight layover. Are you still within 48 hours of completing your trip? If so you can call AC reservations and a lead agent/supervisor can make manual adjustments to your upgrade credits (and they tend to be quite helpful). But after 48 hours IIRC they don't have the ability and you will have to submit a request.

Eupgrades were always based on the ''lesser of'' calculation so the correct amount should be 4. unless you had a stopover, then it would be calculated as a new itinerary.

Last edited by kwflyer; May 27, 15 at 2:17 pm
Old May 27, 15, 1:49 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Yes, it's a single itinerary, but could the ticket have a broken fare or an official stopover?
Winter is coming.
Old May 27, 15, 2:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
My longest layover was less than 3 hours... I guess I'll AC and see what happens. Thanks everyone!
Old May 27, 15, 3:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Looks like this is being changed to be 8 credits when booked into M-class apparently the Preview site is wrong...?

They are putting in a ticket for me to have the 4 credits returned and get this all fixed on their end.

Email back from eUpgrade Reporting sent me a link to the eUpgrade site which shows it should be 4 credits.... round and round we go (=
Old May 27, 15, 5:49 pm

I think you should have been charged 8. What were you charged?
Old May 27, 15, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post
I think you should have been charged 8. What were you charged?
He says he was charged 8 in his original post. How did you get to 8 and not 4?
Old May 27, 15, 5:53 pm

I finally see the issue. Lax-Ywg is over 1500 miles, and charges 8

The issue is lax-Yxe is less than 1500 miles.... I'd wager that the AC system doesn't include YWG-YXE in the distance calculation because it was a single class aircraft.

Search this Thread