Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 833: ATC over Belgium Closed due to power failure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 833: ATC over Belgium Closed due to power failure

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
Look familiar?

Hope you're holding up well at BRU! Remember, there are worse places to be stuck - better places too, but let's not focus on those.
LOL

AC 833 should be departing at 1AM according to the website, though who knows what sort of stuff is actually going on at the airport . Hope you're able to get back quickly!

Also, they really can't reroute a lot of the passengers since Air Canada serves Brussels only from Montreal, though as mentioned above some passengers could reroute through Frankfurt or London.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Flight delayed. Again.

According to Air Canada's Flight Status page now 01:40 local time, expected to arrive YUL 03:56, May 28

Except, it still has not departed.

Last edited by 24left; May 27, 2015 at 5:54 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Flight cancelled

Just posted on AC.com

Old May 27, 2015, 7:38 pm

Rescheduled as AC2133 departing at 14:00.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:02 pm
Formerly known as tireman77
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
I'm hearing J pax were shuttled by taxi to FRA. Does this make sense? Why weren't they rebooked on the UA flights to connect in EWR/ORD? Seems like major stupidity and bad planning on AC's part...
In the lounge, J passengers/SEs were offered the choice of a minivan to FRA and an arrival at YYZ of 17:30. The offer was made at 11:45. At that time no one knew exactly when the airport would open, exactly when all those flights were going to actually get out of there, and I was sure the crew would time out.

Getting a Hotel in Brussels tonight would have been impossible. As for UA... EVERYONE was in the same boat. Nothing was landing or taking off and no one knew exactly when.

In hindsight, it was a good decision.

Oh and edit: How exactly do you want AC to plan for a situation like this? And since Swissport operated the AC counter... the reaction was theirs. But I still think they made the right choice.

Last edited by PLeblond; May 27, 2015 at 8:08 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Assuming one manages to get a hotel room, any idea if it would be covered under a typical credit card trip interruption insurance?
Old May 28, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Oh and edit: How exactly do you want AC to plan for a situation like this? And since Swissport operated the AC counter... the reaction was theirs. But I still think they made the right choice.
I agree that this is pretty much unplannable. And the offer made is probably the best possible in that timespan. Was the offer in the lounge made by the concierge?

I am surprised at the Swissport comment though. I wasn't there when AC833 was cancelled on May 14, but according to my wife everyone was queuing up at the AC ticket booth next to passport control for the B gates, not at check-in. Given that it's AC's passengers, I'd expect the airline to be dealing with re-routing, not Swissport which has no authority on AC seats.

@ffsim: I'd expect so, yes. Worthwhile calling in to you your CC before making any expenses though so there is a claim and you can confirm coverage.

@PLeblond, I expect/hope you weren't among the 500 passengers that slept in the terminal....
Old May 28, 2015, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
I agree that this is pretty much unplannable. And the offer made is probably the best possible in that timespan. Was the offer in the lounge made by the concierge?

I am surprised at the Swissport comment though. I wasn't there when AC833 was cancelled on May 14, but according to my wife everyone was queuing up at the AC ticket booth next to passport control for the B gates, not at check-in. Given that it's AC's passengers, I'd expect the airline to be dealing with re-routing, not Swissport which has no authority on AC seats.

@ffsim: I'd expect so, yes. Worthwhile calling in to you your CC before making any expenses though so there is a claim and you can confirm coverage.

@PLeblond, I expect/hope you weren't among the 500 passengers that slept in the terminal....
What I meant is that, to my knowledge, AC does not have staff at BRU. They are contracted via Swissport. Like in many places. Its makes sense with only 1 daily.

It was done in the lounge. I do not believe it was an official 'concierge'. The official one had taken the day off (Good decision on their part). I cannot imagine trying to explain this at the gate with 200 people all asking 100 questions. They had a printout with about 10 names on it.

Either way, great job on their part.

And no, I did not sleep in the terminal.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They had a printout with about 10 names on it.
Was that only paid J, or also some upgrades?

Including P, or not?
Old May 28, 2015, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Was that only paid J, or also some upgrades?

Including P, or not?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I know a few were SE's and some just paid J, not even AP.

We deplaned and I was talking to an SE who decided to try and get to the nicer A lounge for the (probable) long wait. I did not see hm again, so people probably dispersed. I assume some of them also called the concierge office, but what can you do? One person cannot take calls from 30 people, and do their job. I assume they may have done a walkthrough at the gate looking for specific people but the Terminal B area was a Cluster-You-Know-What, because the 3 UA flights (IAD-EWR-ORD) were boarding at that time too. It was an absolute, zoo, as you can imagine.

People in the lounge were complaining to the agents at the desk in the lounge. The lounge people were very polite and some flyers did not get it. I actually 'intervened' a few times to a group of people just to say: "Hey... There are No flights. To anywhere, from anywhere, and no one know when they will be able to resume. Your only alternatives are a car or a train. Period."

These things happen when you fly. Not much you can do about it, and I certainly can't blame anyone for how this was handled.

Last edited by PLeblond; May 28, 2015 at 6:56 am
Old May 28, 2015, 9:36 am

http://atwonline.com/air-traffic-con...lgian-airspace

An air traffic control technical failure closed Belgian airspace Wednesday morning, which caused hundreds of flights to be either canceled or diverted.

The problem began at 0945 local time Wednesday morning. Eurocontrol recently tweeted there will be a “gradual restarting of systems that will start at 12UTC with some flights to/from Brussels.”
Old May 28, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: A3*G
why was the flight (2133) delayed again from 14:00 to 17:00?
Old May 28, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Ghentleman
The entire airspace up to 23000ft over Belgium is closed until 17:30 local (CET). No flights can land/take off. At least 10000 people are stuck at BRU. The failure happened at 9:45 CET when most TATL flights had left.
Belgium isn't in the CET timezone right now it's in CEST (Central European Summer Time). Much in the same way Toronto is currently EDT and not EST.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travel agent
why was the flight (2133) delayed again from 14:00 to 17:00?
Yes. Its still in the air at this moment. Finally took off at 17:28 local time.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We deplaned and I was talking to an SE who decided to try and get to the nicer A lounge for the (probable) long wait.
Which lounge would that be?

At BRU, I normally go to the SN Brussels lounge. Is there another one in the non-Schengen side?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.