Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Booked AC Flex, United metal S class assigned, 50% altitude miles

Old May 26, 15, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Booked YYC-SFO on AC.com, flex fare. United plane. Miles came in at only 50% instead of 100% AQM. United booking class is "S". Doesn't AC owe me 100% AQM on this flight since I booked Flex fare with them?
Old May 26, 15, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by kellyl View Post
Booked YYC-SFO on AC.com, flex fare. United plane. Miles came in at only 50% instead of 100% AQM. United booking class is "S". Doesn't AC owe me 100% AQM on this flight since I booked Flex fare with them?
Them's the rules, AC S fare only credits 50% if booked on AC stock crediting to AP. Had you credited to MP given that it was UA metal you would have received 100%.
Old May 26, 15, 10:36 pm

Unfortunately no, and the fact you booked on aircanada.com means you would have passed several pages where you would have seen this. These pages are somewhat buried, but they are there, and you would have clicked on "I accept, Continue" before purchasing, so there isn't much you can do.

Had you hovered over the details for "Flex" you would have seen that the mileage earning is only for flights operated by Air Canada.

On the next page (Review Flight Details) you would have seen the following:

Flight ACXXXX: This is a codeshare flight with United Express/Skywest Airlines. For important information regarding certain rules applied on United Airlines (e.g. baggage allowance and fees), please visit www.united.com. You can also learn more about Aeroplan mileage accumulation for this flight.
The message might have been slightly different depending on if the operating carrier was Skywest, United mainline, etc. but the link would have been the same.

The link above shows that it is the booking fare code, not family (i.e. Tango/Flex) that matters on codeshare flights. If you were booked in AC classes B M U H Q V you would earn 100%, otherwise only 50%. UA S does not necessarily mean you were booked into S on AC.
Old May 26, 15, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, WS Gold
Of course if you had booked the same itinerary on United.ca and requested a 100% eligible fare class you would almost certainly have paid the same price and gotten 100% miles on both AC and UA.

That is what Ac does to try to drive loyalty to their web site.

There is a long and painful thread on this topic, but AC refuses to do anything about it.
Old May 26, 15, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
Of course if you had booked the same itinerary on United.ca and requested a 100% eligible fare class you would almost certainly have paid the same price and gotten 100% miles on both AC and UA.

That is what Ac does to try to drive loyalty to their web site.

There is a long and painful thread on this topic, but AC refuses to do anything about it.
Also I always check BOTH UA/AC web sites because 50% of the time you have savings.
A bit of extra work, but it saves you from being ripped off.
Old May 27, 15, 12:22 am

Programs: AC Super Elite, Bonvoy Titanium
If you book a codeshare, then call in immediately afterwards and ask for the UA fare class, within the 24 hour cancellation period.
Old May 27, 15, 5:51 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Bummer, sorry to hear. Something like this happened to me about 10 years ago when I started flying with Aeroplan, tried crediting flights to UA. They didn't even have equivalency tables for fare classes and airline, you just had to hope afterwards you'd get 100%. Oh man this brings up so many memories over how bad AC and Aeroplan was 10 years ago.

Originally Posted by yvr76 View Post
If you book a codeshare, then call in immediately afterwards and ask for the UA fare class, within the 24 hour cancellation period.
Or just book on united.ca where the fare class is transparent and MP has a very clear easy to understand table of airlines and how their fares will credit.

Still a bummer
Old May 28, 15, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I guess booking on UA specific class is only way to ensure I get full credit, probably at same price as AC, but then I''ll be at risk of having less than 50% of miles booked on AC to earn status.
Old May 28, 15, 11:59 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Thanks everyone - I guess booking on UA specific class is only way to ensure I get full credit, probably at same price as AC, but then I''ll be at risk of having less than 50% of miles booked on AC to earn status.
Aeroplan doesn't have a page like this?
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...ePartners.aspx

If you have a canadian billing address and you do more a large portion of non domestic cdn flights, come to the Mileage Plus Side. E+, domestic upgrades and now free beer+wine on international flights...this mutt couldn't ask for more (other than more GPUs).
Old May 28, 15, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cur View Post
Aeroplan doesn't have a page like this?
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...ePartners.aspx
Yes.

http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/c...ileage_ua.html

S = 50% miles.
Old May 28, 15, 12:09 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Wait, isn't the 50% requirement for AC metal? I don't think booking a codeshare operated by United counts towards the 50% requirement.
Old May 28, 15, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang View Post
Wait, isn't the 50% requirement for AC metal? I don't think booking a codeshare operated by United counts towards the 50% requirement.
Correct. Taken from the AC Altitude site:

"* As part of the number of AQM or AQS required in order to reach Air Canada Altitude status, a minimum number of these AQM or AQS must be earned on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge. AQM earned in conjunction with the purchase of an Unlimited FlightPass also count towards this Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement."
Old May 28, 15, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Yup, that's one of the reasons I'm flying almost exclusively on DL for my NA travel. Better airline than United as well.
Old May 28, 15, 10:59 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Quick rule of thumb.....NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER book UA code shares on AC.com.

If you need to book a flight that involves UA and AC flights in the same itinerary, book it on UA.com. UA code shares seem to map correctly to AC so you know what miles you are getting.
Old May 28, 15, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
deleted

Last edited by AA_EXP09; May 28, 15 at 11:26 pm Reason: EQM not RDM

Search this Thread