Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Converting domestic J Class award to TATL

Old May 25, 15, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

I booked a domestic J Class ticket within Canada for travel later this year, but plan to convert this trip to a TATL once the route I'm after opens up. Aside from the $90 change fee and the extra 40k miles, is there anything I need to be aware of? One issue in particular is whether I'd be able to make this domestic-->TATL conversion after flying the domestic outbound leg.
TIA
Old May 25, 15, 11:01 pm

I don't think you can change it after you fly.

Changes to unused Flight Rewards (e.g. flight date(s), flight time(s), class of service, routing and/or itinerary) may be made up to a minimum of two hours prior to departure. A non-refundable fee of C$90 plus taxes per ticket applies.
Old May 26, 15, 6:27 am

don't see a problem of basically canceling the 50K NA J award -> 90K Europe 1 J award for $90+tax
Old May 26, 15, 8:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jerryhung View Post
don't see a problem of basically canceling the 50K NA J award -> 90K Europe 1 J award for $90+tax
OP indicates that he wants to make the change after he flies the first leg of the Domestic award - so he wouldn't be able to cancel it then.

If he flies the first leg and then books his Europe 1 award from that location -- wouldn't it be a new 90K award? plus he would have already used 50K to book first trip? Or can he just add to his trip from his new location? complicated question.
Old May 26, 15, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ciana View Post
OP indicates that he wants to make the change after he flies the first leg of the Domestic award - so he wouldn't be able to cancel it then.

If he flies the first leg and then books his Europe 1 award from that location -- wouldn't it be a new 90K award? plus he would have already used 50K to book first trip? Or can he just add to his trip from his new location? complicated question.
I thought he only meant it as a POSSIBLE SCENARIO question? hard to say whether he has actually fly it already, since his booked award is LATER this year

One issue in particular is whether I'd be able to make this domestic-->TATL conversion after flying the domestic outbound leg.
Anyway, hope OP will update us afterwards. The 2 awards really have no relation to each other
Old May 26, 15, 10:21 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I guess bottom line is there is no "conversion". Either

1) cancel the whole thing (22 days prior to departure) for $90+tax, get the points back and book a new TATL, or

2) book a new TATL on top of the partially flown domestic (or within 22 days prior to departure). Unused reward tickets (when cancelled) "remain valid for one year from the date of ticket issue if unused, or from the date of first outbound departure if partially used". $90+tax applies for rebooking.

Search this Thread