Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Save 10% on flights to Europe and the Middle East

Old May 25, 15, 9:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

While it's not personally addressed, I'm still wondering why I received it. I don't fly Tango or Flex on my international routes.

For fun, I thought I'd see how the deal nets out using LHR in September as an example (yes, some destinations have lower surcharges/fees. Not the point)

Sept 24-29
Total costs:
No discount Flex $1,376
With promo 10% off base fare $1,303

A $73 savings is not going to motivate me. So perhaps I'm not the right target for the email.
Old May 25, 15, 9:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Gotta love it. Only in the airline industry could a 5.4% discount be called a 10% discount.

I know, I know, it's 10% off the base fare, excluding taxes and surcharges, but it just goes to show that although the most egregious examples of deceptive pricing have been outlawed in the industry, the practice remains alive and well.

I have a small amount of sympathy in excluding government-imposed fees, AIFs, etc, from the discount, but fuel surcharges remain as criminal as they have been since the first day: integral to the service provided by the airline, not set by any outside body and nothing but another way to fleece unsuspecting customers.
Old May 25, 15, 10:16 pm

Knock 10% off a z fare I would book right now, who gives a damn about freaking tango fare discount to Europe , maybe YWG ( have to go there this summer, family thing)
Old May 25, 15, 10:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by xLuther View Post
Knock 10% off a z fare I would book right now, who gives a damn about freaking tango fare discount to Europe , maybe YWG ( have to go there this summer, family thing)

OK, so you were more "emphatic" about the same thing. LOL.

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
....I'm still wondering why I received it. I don't fly Tango or Flex on my international routes.
....A $73 savings is not going to motivate me......
Old May 26, 15, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
For fun, I thought I'd see how the deal nets out using LHR in September as an example (yes, some destinations have lower surcharges/fees. Not the point)

Sept 24-29
Total costs:
No discount Flex $1,376
With promo 10% off base fare $1,303

A $73 savings is not going to motivate me. So perhaps I'm not the right target for the email.
Funny, I've wanted to check out Dubai for some time and cant wait to ride the 787-9. Was about to book AC flex last week for $1,350 and got sidetracked. Went back to book today and saw this. Saved $100. ... Now I just have to spend the next 6 months mentally preparing for a Y seat over that distance. ... What the hell have I done.
November DubaiDO anyone ... ???

Search this Thread