Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: YVR to LHR - Business Class Worth The Points?

Question: YVR to LHR - Business Class Worth The Points?

Old May 25, 15, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-75K Diamond CP
YVR to LHR - Business Class Worth The Points?

Hi - I am new to this forum and have found some of the posts interesting and educational.

My question - my wife and I are flying YVR to LHR next May. I have the points to book and would love to fly business. The cost of the tickets is going to be almost $2K (thanks to the carrier surcharge). If I try and book the same flights through AC it is just over $10K. Is using 180K points worth it??

Kent
Old May 25, 15, 4:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Hi Kent,

Welcome to FT!

Even with the fuel surcharges etc, you're saving $8K for 180K points, which is over $0.04 per mile. I think most on here will tell you that if you can do more than $0.02-0.03 per mile, you're getting good value. I certainly would.

Long-haul business class is almost always a good use of points.
Old May 25, 15, 4:18 pm

Just went through a similar decision process as you, except booking in LH F. Anything over 2 cents a point is a nice metric.

You could also look into booking on carriers with low/no fuel surcharges. For example, helped a friend the other day book YYZ to BCN through IST on TK. Very minimal taxes and surcharges there.
Old May 25, 15, 4:25 pm

I agree with Adam Smith, $0.0444 is good value.

That said, you could also increase the cash value of those points by trying (keyword) to fly on UA metal through SFO (probably admissible routing?) or ORD (definitely admissible). Adds a connection but the fees would be much lower. Of course, in part because of that, availability will be much more limited.
Old May 25, 15, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by barneyg_ View Post
I agree with Adam Smith, $0.0444 is good value.

That said, you could also increase the cash value of those points by trying (keyword) to fly on UA metal through SFO (probably admissible routing?) or ORD (definitely admissible). Adds a connection but the fees would be much lower. Of course, in part because of that, availability will be much more limited.
Heck, you'd probably save almost a thousand dollars if you paid for tickets to SFO and flew United from there.
Old May 25, 15, 7:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by yvrgary View Post
Heck, you'd probably save almost a thousand dollars if you paid for tickets to SFO and flew United from there.
True, albeit at the cost of 5+ hours of travel time plus the hassle of dealing with US CBP, the risk of a connection, the issues with a connection built from two different PNRs etc...

Then again, I'm more sensitive to time and hassle than dollars, but the OP may feel differently.

Although I do feel like that may be a strategy that's best reserved for someone with a bit more experience, and possibly FF status, than OP might have.
Old May 25, 15, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by adam.smith View Post
True, albeit at the cost of 5+ hours of travel time plus the hassle of dealing with US CBP, the risk of a connection, the issues with a connection built from two different PNRs etc...

Then again, I'm more sensitive to time and hassle than dollars, but the OP may feel differently.

Although I do feel like that may be a strategy that's best reserved for someone with a bit more experience, and possibly FF status, than OP might have.
No argument here. Someone recently asked me why on earth I was flying Vancouver to Scotland through Istanbul, and it hadn't previously occurred to me that that might seem unreasonable.
Old May 25, 15, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by yvrgary View Post
No argument here. Someone recently asked me why on earth I was flying Vancouver to Scotland through Istanbul, and it hadn't previously occurred to me that that might seem unreasonable.
Someone on the BA forum has a sig line that fits perfectly: "New York to London via Bangkok - there is some other way?"

I myself did ATL-CLT-LAX-PHX-YYC this weekend just as a mileage run. I could have done ATL-DFW-YYC as the most direct route. At check in in ATL the agent said to me when she saw my route: "Did you get this ticket for $5 to justify doing this many flights?"
Old May 25, 15, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by A5Audiguy View Post
Hi - I am new to this forum and have found some of the posts interesting and educational.

My question - my wife and I are flying YVR to LHR next May. I have the points to book and would love to fly business. The cost of the tickets is going to be almost $2K (thanks to the carrier surcharge). If I try and book the same flights through AC it is just over $10K. Is using 180K points worth it??

Kent
what's the alternative, flying economy with points? neither the cash portion nor the points are that much different and you'll be much more rested after sleeping on a flat bed. to me it's a no-brainer.
Old May 26, 15, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by A5Audiguy View Post

Kent
Others have made good points. I think that if you can find 2 business class tickets on the same flight for that price - take it! In my experience, you won't have much longer to book it before those seats are taken.

Have a great trip!

Dr. PITUK.
Old May 26, 15, 12:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I would use the guides and try and bump the YQ down, but if you're fine with it. Then yea always go for the business class.

I like to use the points for things I otherwise wouldn't pay for. Just booked a trip to LA/Houston to see some soccer games, cash ticket was over $600, used points instead. Flying J class at Christmas to south america, normally would buy Y, but when using points, spoil yourself.

Search this Thread