Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Please report your specific carry-on bag size/weight enforcement experiences here

Question: Please report your specific carry-on bag size/weight enforcement experiences here

Old May 25, 2015, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Exclamation Please report your specific carry-on bag size/weight enforcement experiences here

This thread will be solely used for posting/reporting our specific experiences.

Please only post your experiences in order to leave it de-cluttered.

The following thread regarding the new cabin baggage rules can be found here.

The new rules on the Air Canada website can be found here.

Information to include in your report/post:

1. Flight #
2. Date/time of flight
3. Check-in in-person at the airport experience (if applicable) - did you run into any hassles? Any problems? No problems? etc.
4. Security bag dragon experience (if applicable) - did you run into any hassles? Any problems? No problems? etc.
5. Which security line used (i.e. Regular, Status/J, NEXUS, etc.)
6. How many carry-on bags and their approximate description/dimensions (maybe even pictures)
7. Your status, if applicalbe
8. Cabin of service (i.e. J/PE/Y - and upgraded?)
9. Connecting or Originating location that your report/post is based on (this is more important early on since it is specific to YYZ before expanding to other stations)
10. AC/ACX/ACR METAL (i.e. 319, 320, 321, 763, 333, 77L, 77W, 77P, 788, DH1, DH3, DH4, CRA, etc.)
11. Other?

Last edited by yyznomad; May 27, 2015 at 8:50 am
Old May 25, 2015, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP may consider whether cnx passenger vs. originating passenger.
i.e. I start YSB. Agents here are good and have never had a carryon bag issue. I am behind security at YYZ and not subject to the scrutiny at security YYZ. Have never been asked at YYZ gate(s)
Old May 25, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by acysb87
The OP may consider whether cnx passenger vs. originating passenger.
i.e. I start YSB. Agents here are good and have never had a carryon bag issue. I am behind security at YYZ and not subject to the scrutiny at security YYZ. Have never been asked at YYZ gate(s)
Done.

Would be great if you guys can post in this thread to separate and distinguish from the discussion thread on this topic. I will be flying mid-week and although my one and only carry-on is small, it still may not fit nicely into the rigid dimensions of the sizer. It would be rather ironic in a way that although my bag fits under the footrest of the classic pods, it may not pass the fit test! I am probably one of the lightest packers here... only one small bag for 5 days overseas.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'd suggest making #10 for what the situation was at the gate - are GAs checking for the stickers and also looking like they're enforcing the policy or business as usual?

1. AC718 YYZ -> LGA
2. May 25, 5PM (delayed)
3. N/A (OLCI)
4. Saw an agent with a sizer just before security (past US CBP). I was heading to the NEXUS line, not hassled, but I was probably never less than 10-15 feet away. Was in a rush due to late inbound, didn't really see her interactions with other pax, although she did ask a family to put their bags in.
5. NEXUS
6. 2 carry-ons, a Tumi Alpha 2 International and an Ogio briefcase. Have been told by others that although the Tumi is nominally 0.25-0.5" too tall, it fits in the sizers. Certainly doesn't look too big. Briefcase is fine.
7. SE
8. J (upgraded)
9. Originated in YYC
10. No additional scrutiny at the gate
11. E90

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 27, 2015 at 8:35 am Reason: Added equipment
Old May 25, 2015, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Air Canada enforcement of personal items

AC is enforcing luggage now at YYZ as we all know. For those that have gone through it, has AC enforced not only the main roller bag size but the smaller personal item?

I know many of us have bags that are too big (roller computer bag in my case), and I'd like to know if AC is being a pain about that too.

Thanks.

*EDIT: Nomad, my post was originally not in this thread but was moved. I did not mean to clutter your thread.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; May 25, 2015 at 10:30 pm
Old May 25, 2015, 10:21 pm

My bag isn't too big (and neither is my 2nd bag), but I'm more worried about the ridiculous weight limits. The local news tonight showed people shoving their bags (sometimes unsuccessfully) in to the sizer, but the interview was with someone who had to check her bag because it was 4 lbs. over.

VERY confusing. Can't I just wear an extra 4lbs of clothes with full pockets?

Dr. PITUK
Old May 25, 2015, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by painintheuk
My bag isn't too big (and neither is my 2nd bag), but I'm more worried about the ridiculous weight limits. The local news tonight showed people shoving their bags (sometimes unsuccessfully) in to the sizer, but the interview was with someone who had to check her bag because it was 4 lbs. over.

Dr. PITUK
Just avoid the check in area and do OLCI. I have not read on here any scales at the bag dragon stations in pre-security. That's my plan anyways. When they enforce that, i'm off to WS. Insurance cannot cover the costs of what would happen if I showed up at the destination without my crap.

*EDIT: Nomad, my post was originally not in this thread but was moved. I did not mean to clutter your thread.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; May 25, 2015 at 10:42 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM), BA Gold, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime), National Exec
Links mixup

Both of your links in the original post point to the AC page.
Old May 26, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PreferJ
Both of your links in the original post point to the AC page.
Fixed. Thanks.
Old May 26, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
No worries.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC S100K
1. Flight #1167 YYZ-YVR 788
2. 5/26/15 18:30, delayed 20:15
3. Check-in at SE counter. Luggage eyeballed for size and weighed "to see if it's close". Provided tags for both pieces (which I did not apply). All very pleasant.
4. No further encounters with any luggage enforcement.
5. NEXUS (upstairs)
6. B&R 119 and briefcase (both conforming for size and weight)
7. SE
8. J (Latitude FP)
9. Originated at YYZ
10. I was actually surprised to have my bag weighed. Was given the impression that I'd be provided some grace for minor weight deviations if necessary.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
1. AC145 YYZ -> YYC
2. May 26, 9:50PM Edit: flight is delayed 10+ minutes. Partly due to..... oversized carry-ons!
3. N/A (checked in with concierge at LGA)
4. Agent and sizer were over by the regular entrance, so didn't really see them.
5. NEXUS
6. 2 carry-ons, a Tumi Alpha 2 International and an Ogio briefcase. Have been told by others that although the Tumi is nominally 0.25-0.5" too tall, it fits in the sizers. Certainly doesn't look too big. Briefcase is fine.
7. SE
8. J (upgraded)
9. Originated in LGA
10. No additional scrutiny at the gate. Who let on the guy with the gigantic backpack? No tag or tape measure needed to see it was clearly way too tall. GA should never have let him on, even pre-crackdown.
11. 320

Thankfully the FA was firm with him, told him to rearrange or it would be checked. He was rude to her, but complied. And now the bag fits without taking up 2 roll-aboards worth of space.

Also, should we be saying what the equipment was on the flight?

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 27, 2015 at 8:35 am
Old May 27, 2015, 4:59 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by painintheuk

Dr. PITUK
I think the 10kg is a limit set by regulators/transport canada. Apparently it's a safety issue, 10kg falling on someone's head is not as bad as 20kg. If they could allow unlimited weight I think a lot of us wouldn't be so adverse to this.

But again, this is still way better than euro airlines where all you get is 1x 7kg carry on.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Also, should we be saying what the equipment was on the flight?
You can add whatever you want on top of the main list.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by cur
I think the 10kg is a limit set by regulators/transport canada. Apparently it's a safety issue, 10kg falling on someone's head is not as bad as 20kg. If they could allow unlimited weight I think a lot of us wouldn't be so adverse to this.
This really belongs more in the main thread discussing the change rather than here.

But no, Transport Canada requires each airline to set limits on carry-on baggage but don't specify the limits themselves. See here.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
You can add whatever you want on top of the main list.
Right, but perhaps I should have said it this way: "I'd suggest we also all report the equipment used on the flight."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.