Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can't change booking from Tango to PE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

I just tried to change a booking on AC004 from Tango to Premium Economy, assuming I could just pay the fare difference. Phone agent told me this is not allowed and the entire ticket needs to be cancelled and rebooked and quoted $2,054 to do this (the fare difference BTW, is $270 each way). I tried to do the change myself online but AC.com fails at the last step after entering my CC info claiming the booking wasn't made on AC.com (it was)

Is this guy for real or is the moron shift on right now because it's 3am?

Last edited by eigenvector; May 24, 2015 at 12:55 am
Old May 24, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: AC SE
Call again, you were unlucky. Plenty of confirmation here on the board that upgrading your fare is allowed.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've gone Tango to Flex, Flex to Business several times and it's never been a problem. Lots of people do this for business travel, where they want to up what their corporate policy allows.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
HUCA. Sometimes the phone agents will refuse if the ticket is issued by a TA - they will ask you to go back to the TA.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
I had this happen to me a few months ago. I tried to change it online (I booked it on AC's site) but all other fares was greyed out for me even though I could see via a dummy booking there were obviously fares available. I called in and was quoted significantly more than the fare difference and change fee. Called again the next day received the same quote (~$2000/person) so I was not interested. I can't remember the exact conversation but he explained to me it was all he could do then suggested I wait to see if I would be offered an LMU (which I was). It wasn't my top priority at the time so I just moved on.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
I had two different experiences with two different bookings made through my company's travel agent. The first one over the phone. I called the day before my flights and asked the agent about upgrading my return flights from Tango to Flex. She put me on hold while she inquired about the fare difference and then came back to me with the price to pay. I gave her the payment information and she put me on hold again. The call dropped but I noticed that the reservation had been upgraded (via aircanada.com). So I did not call back. Unfortunately once the miles were posted a couple of days later I noticed that the change never took place (I also never was charged).

The second attempt occurred at the airport. On the day of my flight, I went to the ticketing desk and asked to get my reservation upgraded from Tango to Flex. The agent told me that because the reservation had been made through a TA she did not have access to the fare. She asked me to go through my TA. I found that weird, but did not insist.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by radnub
I had this happen to me a few months ago. I tried to change it online (I booked it on AC's site) but all other fares was greyed out for me even though I could see via a dummy booking there were obviously fares available. I called in and was quoted significantly more than the fare difference and change fee. Called again the next day received the same quote (~$2000/person) so I was not interested. I can't remember the exact conversation but he explained to me it was all he could do then suggested I wait to see if I would be offered an LMU (which I was). It wasn't my top priority at the time so I just moved on.
I've only ever been able to do this over the phone.

Were you upgrading to a Latitude fare and found that the agent quoted you something way more than what you see online? If so, you have to ask the agent to work with the "resource desk" so they can honor what's online. I'm not sure if it's the same as upgrading to PE, but you didn't mention what fare in your post, hence my question

Technically they don't even have to do that b/c the online Latitude fares are...well, online only fares. However, I have not had an issue. It can take 30-45 minutes though.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: BA silver, AC *s p, A3, EI, KL, & UA nobody!
Thumbs down Failed in an attempt to change a 'B' fare booking to 'P'

- Similar experience to other recent posts.

Via the phone I attempted to upgrade / change an existing AC booking for 1 sector from 'B' to 'P'. Routing EDI/YYZ/BDA/YYZ/EDI. As EDI/YYZ and return is in 'N', (premium rouge) the on-line booking system books other sectors into 'B' which I understand is standard.

I wanted to change the BDA/YYZ leg from 'B' to 'P' - plenty availability showing on 'Expert Flyer'. Following 2 periods of being placed on hold by the agent, I was advised that this was not possible unless the entire the ticket was cancelled and re-booked! Telephone call ended at that point!

I may now try again if 'P' is still showing.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by edinv
- Similar experience to other recent posts.

Via the phone I attempted to upgrade / change an existing AC booking for 1 sector from 'B' to 'P'. Routing EDI/YYZ/BDA/YYZ/EDI. As EDI/YYZ and return is in 'N', (premium rouge) the on-line booking system books other sectors into 'B' which I understand is standard.

I wanted to change the BDA/YYZ leg from 'B' to 'P' - plenty availability showing on 'Expert Flyer'. Following 2 periods of being placed on hold by the agent, I was advised that this was not possible unless the entire the ticket was cancelled and re-booked! Telephone call ended at that point!

I may now try again if 'P' is still showing.
Unfortunately with a through-fare which is priced from origin to destination - you can not split the segments into different types of flights. This has never been the case. You almost can't even pay at the airport as they will also try to re-price. I know it makes no sense but I think that is why they have same day LMU's as this at least gives them some ability to upgrade people without having to re-price.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: BA silver, AC *s p, A3, EI, KL, & UA nobody!
Thumbs up Thanks for this info!

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Unfortunately with a through-fare which is priced from origin to destination - you can not split the segments into different types of flights. This has never been the case. You almost can't even pay at the airport as they will also try to re-price. I know it makes no sense but I think that is why they have same day LMU's as this at least gives them some ability to upgrade people without having to re-price.
- Many thanks for your explanation. I shall keep fingers crossed for LMUs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.