Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Best LHR to Canada hard product (J)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best LHR to Canada hard product (J)?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 5:19 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I'm looking at booking LHR-YEG, but the direct flight isn't available for my dates, so I have to pick between connecting through the rapidair triangle, YYC or YVR. For someone of average height, which J product is generally better, the 763, the A330, or the 77W?
Old May 23, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pewpew
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I'm looking at booking LHR-YEG, but the direct flight isn't available for my dates, so I have to pick between connecting through the rapidair triangle, YYC or YVR. For someone of average height, which J product is generally better, the 763, the A330, or the 77W?
Choosing between the A330, 763, and 77W isn't too hard because they all feature the same Classic Pod in J. Don't go through YVR because you will get the 777HD and the J product is much less private, and you have less space. I personally would choose the 77W because there is some space to walk around during the flight, and the self serve bar area.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
My vote is for the 77W. It's a newer plane and generally nicer, bigger bins, better bathrooms, etc. You'll also definitely have your own air vent, if that matters to you (none on the 333, mixed bag on the 763).
Old May 23, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
77. Can't you route on the 787 Through yyz? Also, the HD does yvr lhr?
Old May 23, 2015, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
It looks like the 787 only did YYZ-LHR until April 30 . I suppose I could try routing YYZ-ZRH/CPH/YVR though.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Going through YYZ adds at least an hour to the journey, if not more. Plus dealing with YYZ. I wouldn't add that hassle just to fly the 787, even if it were possible.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Going through YYZ adds at least an hour to the journey, if not more. Plus dealing with YYZ. I wouldn't add that hassle just to fly the 787, even if it were possible.
It's not: P is zeroed out for any dates that work for me
Old May 23, 2015, 6:01 pm

I'd book through YYC to maximize pod time vs. YYZ/YUL, even if it means a Y DH3/DH4 to YEG. I prefer the 333 option into YYC rather than the 763 as I find it quieter, and bins etc generally seeming newer/nicer (since they are, significantly so).

And it seems like the shortest travel time too, though I'm aware some don't value that too highly for whatever reason.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Keep in mind that if you connect in YYZ for the 777 because you want more space to walk around and such, you'll have to connect on a 4 hour A320 or E90 flight to end up in YEG....

My vote is for the A333 via YYC. You can pick the side of the cabin with a private aisle, its airy because of the lack of middle bins in the forward cabin, and YYC is, in my opinion, a way better airport to connect in than YYZ. Smaller, faster, less walking, etc. Plus, its nice to get off the TATL flight and only have 35 minutes or so left to Edmonton (and not a 4 hour transcon), even if it is on a dingy old DH3.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:58 pm

Avoid transient YYC , the airport is mess, plus transiting it remains a joke. It was not designed to handle the concept. On top of that MLL is on limited access during peak until who knows when,

Tarmac staging of the dash planes plus new added bonus bus ride to terminal depending on which YEG - YYC shuttle flight ... well YYC was never a good airport to transit , it's now avoid at all costs

For YEG-LHR either fly the direct or through YYZ, don't have an issue with YYZ anymore, semi decent to transit except for long walk from domestic to international when both the express and regular moving sided walks act up, which seem like every time I go through there.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by xLuther
Avoid transient YYC , the airport is mess, plus transiting it remains a joke. It was not designed to handle the concept. On top of that MLL is on limited access during peak until who knows when,

Tarmac staging of the dash planes plus new added bonus bus ride to terminal depending on which YEG - YYC shuttle flight ... well YYC was never a good airport to transit , it's now avoid at all costs

For YEG-LHR either fly the direct or through YYZ, don't have an issue with YYZ anymore, semi decent to transit except for long walk from domestic to international when both the express and regular moving sided walks act up, which seem like every time I go through there.
Read the original post, the direct isn't available on the dates OP needs.

The transit isn't super-pleasant in YYC, but it's probably still shorter than YYZ. There's also a lot less than can go wrong to delay you on YEG-YYC than YEG-YYZ, meaning you can feel more comfortable booking a tighter connection and therefore spending less time on the total journey.

And as pointed out by nave888 and winnipegrev, you get more time in the pod vs sitting on a 320/E90.

YYC is a clear winner.

And nave888 did make a good point that I forgot in my original post re being able to pick an A side seat and have the aisle to yourself if you take the 333 or 763, but I would still go for the 77W.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 23, 2015 at 11:29 pm
Old May 23, 2015, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by pewpew

Any flight via YYC over YVR
Old May 24, 2015, 7:47 am

The transit isn't super-pleasant in YYC, but it's probably still shorter than YYZ. There's also a lot less than can go wrong to delay you on YEG-YYC than YEG-YYZ, meaning you can feel more comfortable booking a tighter connection and therefore spending less time on the total journey.

And as pointed out by nave888 and winnipegrev, you get more time in the pod vs sitting on a 320/E90.

YYC is a clear winner.

And nave888 did make a good point that I forgot in my original post re being able to pick an A side seat and have the aisle to yourself if you take the 333 or 763, but I would still go for the 77W.
Nothing is worth the pain of transiting YYC in it's current state, never been as bad, I have been force to twice this year. fortunately my boss has authorize I can over ride up to $400 a flight on our Concur system and remove YYC as a valid option

It's joke and to be avoided
Old May 24, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
Can you provide some facts? I recently transited intl to domestic at yyc. Took a total of 20 minutes from leaving plane to clearing security on domestic side. Wasn't painful at all and far more convenient than Yul, yyc, yyz or Yvr.

Originally Posted by xLuther
Quote:

YYC is a clear winner.

Nothing is worth the pain of transiting YYC in it's current state, never been as bad, I have been force to twice this year. fortunately my boss has authorize I can over ride up to $400 a flight on our Concur system and remove YYC as a valid option

It's joke and to be avoided
Old May 24, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: AC SE
I'd take the YYC connection. While the airport is a mess with the renos, it's still much quicker to transit than YYZ. The MLL renos are past the worst part, so it's actually looking much better now and there's more room than before. LHR-YYC maximizes time in pod. Also, if you go through YYZ, you have much higher chances of delays due to weather (e.g. thunderstorms), air traffic, etc, vs. YYC, which tends to get fewer weather and ATC related delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.