Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Discounted Fare

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Aeroplan Discounted Fare

Hey guys,

Sometimes when I search for flights on Aeroplan, some destinations appear to be discounted, sometimes 40% discounted an more. Is there a way yo find a list of all currently discounted segments? It's quite long to this randomly. I thinks it's actually called "Great Deals".

Regards,
Old May 23, 2015, 5:27 pm

Can you please give us an example of one of the discounted routes you've come across?
Old May 23, 2015, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Last week a I saw a YUL - ROME, RT for 45,000 points.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by imverge
Can you please give us an example of one of the discounted routes you've come across?
Could it be a market fare that's cheaper than one of the classic flight rewards? Those aren't uncommon
Old May 23, 2015, 5:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Is this Market Fare or ClassicFlight?

Edit: looks like pewpew and I had the same thought but he's faster on the keyboard than me
Old May 23, 2015, 5:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Is this Market Fare or ClassicFlight?

Edit: looks like pewpew and I had the same thought but he's faster on the keyboard than me
The best part is that I started typing before dtracker clarified
Old May 23, 2015, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by dtracker
Hey guys,

Sometimes when I search for flights on Aeroplan, some destinations appear to be discounted, sometimes 40% discounted an more. Is there a way yo find a list of all currently discounted segments? It's quite long to this randomly. I thinks it's actually called "Great Deals".

Regards,

Do you have Aeroplan's dDistinction status as well?

I ask because when I checked some random dates, the discounted amount popped up and while it was a great deal, they were not for the dates I wanted.

I then wasted a lot of time searching Aeroplan's site to see if there was a centralized list of destinations and dates. Nooooooo. That would be too easy.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Do you have Aeroplan's dDistinction status as well?

I ask because when I checked some random dates, the discounted amount popped up and while it was a great deal, they were not for the dates I wanted.

I then wasted a lot of time searching Aeroplan's site to see if there was a centralized list of destinations and dates. Nooooooo. That would be too easy.
I've come across this before too. I saw it for YOW -> SYD once, and it was around 65ish or so I think as opposed to 80 it normally is. It gave a little blurb about sometimes market fares are cheaper then normal fares for a great deal or something. I also have dDiamond but I don't know if this contributed to this discount or not.

Edit: Image, I found one, but I've seen cheaper.

Last edited by donnyk; May 23, 2015 at 7:41 pm
Old May 23, 2015, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Interesting. I've booked some tickets for my dad from his E75K account and have seen Market Fare (with dDiamond) cheaper than E75K priority (double miles), but I don't think I've ever seen Market Fare cheaper than ClassicFlight.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:25 am

Interesting. I've booked some tickets for my dad from his E75K account and have seen Market Fare (with dDiamond) cheaper than E75K priority (double miles), but I don't think I've ever seen Market Fare cheaper than ClassicFlight.
Also just to confirm I have no altitude status, only distinction.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start a thread posting these deals?
Old May 24, 2015, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by donnyk
Also just to confirm I have no altitude status, only distinction.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start a thread posting these deals?
^
Old May 24, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I don't think I've ever seen Market Fare cheaper than ClassicFlight.
Do a search for YYZ-LHR in the off season, Feb.10-17 for example.
A market fare is 30,100 roundtrip. Heck for 56850, you can get PY in one direction! dSilver says 29,100 (hardly a 20% savings - so it would be interesting to see for those dates what a high dStatus gets.

Now of course there is a catch, there is $645 in fees ($269 for SEs)

Revenue ticket is C$841 for those days.

So your points are basically covering $196 (for 30,100) or 0.67cpm

For SEs that would mean, points covering $572, so closer to 2cpm, still pretty bad for Y flights. A dDiamond can probably get 2cpm.

Disregarding the opportunity cost of not earning at least 5000 miles on Tango.

The house always wins.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
The problem with these "discounted" ons are that the SE YQ waiver doesn't apply. Found one of these the other day I forget where it was for but the points price was great, checked the closing price and it was like $600 + 41,000 instead of $130 + 50,000.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by drvannostren
The problem with these "discounted" ons are that the SE YQ waiver doesn't apply. Found one of these the other day I forget where it was for but the points price was great, checked the closing price and it was like $600 + 41,000 instead of $130 + 50,000.
wow... no kidding.... so really, its <1 cpm for everyone.

May as well get a toaster. I wonder how many people they sucker into spending 30,000 points for a <$200 discount

Sneaky, sneaky AC

the ClassicFlight Rewards fuel surcharges for travel between Canada and other international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge
Old May 24, 2015, 4:14 pm
alc

here is the thread that talk about these "Great Deals" promo on Market Fare rewards:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...eat-deals.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.