FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Upgrade space suddenly vanishes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1681726-upgrade-space-suddenly-vanishes.html)

Adam Smith May 21, 2015 10:50 am

Upgrade space suddenly vanishes?

I have to go to NYC on Monday, last-minute thing.

Looked up fares on AC.com for AC584 (YYC-EWR), told my assistant what to book. Using the "Display only fares eligible for upgrade" for feature, it said with a Latitude fare (only Y fare that's left) that I would be upgraded.

Assistant phones the TA, books it right away, I go to request my upgrade and bam, I'm waitlisted. Still 3 J seats showing on the seat map, doesn't appear to be any more tickets sold in Y since they sold mine.

I've never seen that happen before. Any ideas on why this happened or whether I'll actually get my upgrade? I really don't want to sit in Y on that flight and might look at switching to a connecting flight to LGA, but the ideal is still to sit in J on the direct.

Stranger May 21, 2015 10:52 am

Likely someone bought the last Z seat in the meantime.

How long between you saw the seat available and the assistant booked?

(This is why I would never rely on an "assistant" BTW.)

superangrypenguin May 21, 2015 10:52 am

Originally Posted by adam.smith (Post 24849990)
I have to go to NYC on Monday, last-minute thing.

Looked up fares on AC.com for AC584 (YYC-EWR), told my assistant what to book. Using the "Display only fares eligible for upgrade" for feature, it said with a Latitude fare (only Y fare that's left) that I would be upgraded.

Assistant phones the TA, books it right away, I go to request my upgrade and bam, I'm waitlisted. Still 3 J seats showing on the seat map, doesn't appear to be any more tickets sold in Y since they sold mine.

I've never seen that happen before. Any ideas on why this happened or whether I'll actually get my upgrade? I really don't want to sit in Y on that flight and might look at switching to a connecting flight to LGA, but the ideal is still to sit in J on the direct.

Perhaps the fare class dried up? Z class dried up?

Sean Peever May 21, 2015 10:54 am

likely z dried up.

also possible (not as likely) that someone with a Y decided to upgrade.

Dorian May 21, 2015 10:54 am

More likely that booking that single Latitude ticket kicked in an automatic process to kill of one or more Z seats.

Stranger May 21, 2015 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Dorian (Post 24850019)
More likely that booking that single Latitude ticket kicked in an automatic process to kill of one or more Z seats.

I have never seen that happening.

superangrypenguin May 21, 2015 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 24850051)
I have never seen that happening.

Ditto. I have seen Z=1, booked Latitude and then upgraded..

Dorian May 21, 2015 11:03 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24850057)
Ditto. I have seen Z=1, booked Latitude and then upgraded..

It happens for sure.

When Y=1 it means that it is almost certainly being oversold. That oversell can impact how many seats will be sold in business class which can kick out the lower business fares, or even all of them.

Stranger May 21, 2015 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Dorian (Post 24850071)
It happens for sure.

When Y=1 it means that it is almost certainly being oversold. That oversell can impact how many seats will be sold in business class which can kick out the lower business fares, or even all of them.

If Y is oversold they normally open up upgrade space rather than reduce it. Might be moving from Z to R, sure.

But it makes no sense for AC not to collect credits and to end up giving the OP an opup.

Adam Smith May 21, 2015 11:10 am

There was no Z/P for sale, only Latitude and Business Flexible, but it was still showing that I would be upgraded.

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 24850003)
How long between you saw the seat available and the assistant booked?

(This is why I would never rely on an "assistant" BTW.)

Probably under 3 minutes from when I saw it on my screen to when she had the TA booking it.

I would love to not have to use my assistant or our completely useless TA and just book it myself on the website, but sadly policy doesn't allow for that.

Dorian May 21, 2015 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 24850098)
If Y is oversold they normally open up upgrade space rather than reduce it. Might be moving from Z to R, sure.

But it makes no sense for AC not to collect credits and to end up giving the OP an opup.

You're confusing what makes sense versus what actually happens.

Dorian May 21, 2015 11:15 am

Originally Posted by adam.smith (Post 24850118)
There was no Z/P for sale, only Latitude and Business Flexible, but it was still showing that I would be upgraded.

Then you either made a visual mistake or ACIT failed again.

Stranger May 21, 2015 11:15 am

Originally Posted by adam.smith (Post 24850118)

Lise bit you it seems.

Stranger May 21, 2015 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Dorian (Post 24850131)
You're confusing what makes sense versus what actually happens.

:D

margarita girl May 21, 2015 11:20 am

Seems you didn't get the memo. AC doesn't want you in sitting in biz class if you didn't pay for it!