Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade space suddenly vanishes?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 11:30 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Dorian
Then you either made a visual mistake or ACIT failed again.
I think we know which of those is roughly 1,000,000 times more likely! But in all seriousness, I checked it very carefully and the website was definitely showing I'd be upgraded. Otherwise I would have booked a different flight.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Seems you didn't get the memo. AC doesn't want you in sitting in biz class if you didn't pay for it!
That's okay. I've looked at the alternatives and I can actually do a Z/P fare through YYZ to LGA for $150 cheaper. So if I make that change, I'll still sit in J, but actually spend less money. Good work, AC, cheapening the J cabin yourselves!
Old May 21, 2015, 11:33 am

As an SE on a latitude fare, you should at the top of the upgrade list (status +fare class). I've had it happen to me (3-4x) and my upgrade has always cleared.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by adam.smith

That's okay. I've looked at the alternatives and I can actually do a Z/P fare through YYZ to LGA for $150 cheaper. So if I make that change, I'll still sit in J, but actually spend less money. Good work, AC, cheapening the J cabin yourselves!
Don't worry, they know what they are doing.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mromalley
As an SE on a latitude fare, you should at the top of the upgrade list (status +fare class). I've had it happen to me (3-4x) and my upgrade has always cleared.
Yes, I'd agree the likelihood is good, but my concern is the off chance that someone actually buys the J seats (unlikely, in my experience) or gets upgraded ahead of me.

Don't worry, they know what they are doing.
Right, right, because they're so profitable! Positive net income for two years in a row!
Old May 23, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

For what it's worth, in the end I changed to go through YYZ to LGA, staying on Latitude fare with confirmed upgrade to J.

Interestingly, the AC website also showed available for upgrade with no Z space, but this time it was in fact true. So Z0 P0 R1? Whatever, I'm in J and don't have to wait to the last minute to find out whether I won the aerolotto.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Yes, I'd agree the likelihood is good, but my concern is the off chance that someone actually buys the J seats (unlikely, in my experience) or gets upgraded ahead of me.

Right, right, because they're so profitable! Positive net income for two years in a row!
AC keeps hoping Oil Prices stay low.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by flybit
AC keeps hoping Oil Prices stay low.
They don't hope, it is their business plan.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:25 am
Flying Blue Director

They don't hope, it is their business plan.
Actually, it's laughably far from it.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: *$ Green
I have to go to NYC on Monday, last-minute thing.

Looked up fares on AC.com for AC584 (YYC-EWR), told my assistant what to book. Using the "Display only fares eligible for upgrade" for feature, it said with a Latitude fare (only Y fare that's left) that I would be upgraded.

Assistant phones the TA, books it right away, I go to request my upgrade and bam, I'm waitlisted. Still 3 J seats showing on the seat map, doesn't appear to be any more tickets sold in Y since they sold mine.

I've never seen that happen before. Any ideas on why this happened or whether I'll actually get my upgrade? I really don't want to sit in Y on that flight and might look at switching to a connecting flight to LGA, but the ideal is still to sit in J on the direct.

Mystery has been solved by the AC*SK 4HM.

Edit: Not sure when you return, but seems like there's a few routes through YYZ with Biz-lowest available still.

Edit2: Only the devil buys flex.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks, SK 4HM, except the problem is that when I booked it, that was showing the nice blue image and "Seats available for upgrade"

But I'm all set, rebooked YYC-YYZ-LGA today, upgraded on both legs. And for the return tomorrow, I was able to ugprade Flex right away when I bought it last week.

You're right that Flex sucks, but they keep racheting the travel policy tighter here, so I didn't have a choice. But the day they make me fly Tango is the day I finally quit!
Old May 25, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: *$ Green
Thanks, SK 4HM, except the problem is that when I booked it, that was showing the nice blue image and "Seats available for upgrade"

But I'm all set, rebooked YYC-YYZ-LGA today, upgraded on both legs. And for the return tomorrow, I was able to ugprade Flex right away when I bought it last week.

You're right that Flex sucks, but they keep racheting the travel policy tighter here, so I didn't have a choice. But the day they make me fly Tango is the day I finally quit!
Do you get to buy the M flex fares at least?

Hopefully AB gets better... how's the election hangover going there? I'm going back for stampede. Hopefully everyone will be drinking their troubles away lol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.