Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Getting AC Reservations to see ITA/Google Flight options

Old May 21, 2015, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE

I am looking to book a J ticket to ZRH at the end of August.

Google Flights and ITA show a great option (AC to CDG and LX to ZRH on the outbound and LH to MUC and AC to YYZ on the return) that doesn't show up on the Air Canada website. It's a good $1,300 cheaper than what's showing on the website. I can see the fare class/code and rules on ITA, and the exact flights, but when I call AC they can apparently only see what's on the website.

Normally I'd try a travel agent, but I have an unused travel credit that I'd like to use and so AC reservations is the only option.

Is there some way to communicate to the AC reservations agent what to look for or explain to them how to construct this in a way that gets the fare that ITA produces? I asked the agent to construct it segment by segment but she insisted that this would produce separately-priced tickets for each segment.

Any advice appreciated.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've done this as recently as last night.

'Hi, I'd like to book a ticket for one passenger. I have flight numbers and fare classes. My Aeroplan number is 123456789. On June 14, I want AC 123 YYZ-CDG departing at 1830 in K class. On June 15, LX 234 CDG-ZRH departing at 1130 in S class, ..."

Then when you're done, they price it out, and it should match to within $10.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE
Worked like a charm, thanks - the third time I tried!
Old May 21, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RevvedUp
Worked like a charm, thanks - the third time I tried!
Classic HUCA
Old May 21, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've done this as recently as last night.

'Hi, I'd like to book a ticket for one passenger. I have flight numbers and fare classes. My Aeroplan number is 123456789. On June 14, I want AC 123 YYZ-CDG departing at 1830 in K class. On June 15, LX 234 CDG-ZRH departing at 1130 in S class, ..."

Then when you're done, they price it out, and it should match to within $10.
You might give them the complete fare code, not just the fare class.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
You might give them the complete fare code, not just the fare class.
That's never been necessary.

Last night though, he priced it out about $150 higher than me, so I asked him to verify the fare classes, and he said they matched mine. Then I asked for the fare breakdown, and he realized he hadn't matched what I told him and confirmed with him

For the next booking I did with him, after putting in all the segments, he asked me, "Did you get $1234?" rather than "This comes out to $1234."

He knew who was boss
Old May 21, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
HUCA is the way to go, you have to get someone who knows what they are doing.

I've done it many times from YVR - somewhere - somewhere - AMD and back. The ac system forces a lufthansa codeshare even though there are AI flights and codeshares available (someone at AC told me that's how they have designed the system). The way the AC system wants to book is always a couple grand more. Calling in and booking with someone in the know can be worth it.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:17 pm

I just did it again.

Fed her the flight numbers and fare classes, then had a bit of a chat about where I got the fare classes from and that she figured I'd "have" an Aeroplan number after all that.

But she actually won the record for fastest EYW booking

I've never had a problem feeding this stuff to a phone agent.

In this case though, it priced out $35 cheaper than ITA. That always scares me, but the ticket looks fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.