Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada expanding its service to Copenhagen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada expanding its service to Copenhagen

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by The Lev
Now we just need AC to add a reasonable number of codeshares to other destinations in Europe and beyond with SAS from CPH (and Swiss from ZRH/GVA). Don't know why they have this seeming obsession with funneling everyone through FRA and MUC (OK - maybe it's the profit sharing agreement with LH and UA).
I agree that the codeshares often make the fare computation easier. However - a quick look at the fare routings for most AC fares into Scandinavia allow a CPH connection onto SK flight number as part of the normal fare setup. Thus, the codeshare would not help at all.

It is however great to get the AC YYZ CPH frequency higher.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ensco

CPH not the dominant SK hub any more, hasn't been for a while. From wiki....

SAS flights from ARN: Aalborg, Alicante, Amsterdam, Ankara (begins 30 June 2015), Athens, Barcelona, Bergen, Berlin–Tegel, Billund, Birmingham, Brussels, Budapest, Chicago–O'Hare, Copenhagen, Dublin, Düsseldorf, Edinburgh, Faro, Frankfurt, Geneva, Hamburg, Helsinki, Hong Kong (begins 10 September 2015),[33] London–Heathrow, Málaga, Manchester, Milan-Linate, Milan-Malpensa, Moscow–Sheremetyevo , Munich, Newark, Nice, Oslo–Gardermoen, Oulu, Palma de Mallorca, Paris–Charles de Gaulle, Prague, Riga, Rome–Fiumicino, Saint Petersburg, Stavanger, Tampere, Thessaloniki, Tromsř, Trondheim, Turku, Vaasa, Vilnius, Zürich
Seasonal: Bastia, Biarritz, Bodř, Bologna, Bristol, Cagliari, Chania, Dubrovnik, Gazipaşa, Innsbruck, Malta, Naples, Olbia, Palermo, Pisa, Pristina, Pula,, Sarajevo, Split, Tel Aviv–Ben Gurion, Venice–Marco Polo

SAS flights from CPH: Aalborg, Aarhus, Aberdeen, Ĺlesund, Alicante, Amsterdam, Ankara (begins 6 June 2015), Athens, Barcelona, Beijing-Capital, Bergen, Berlin-Tegel, Billund, Birmingham, Bologna, Bremen, Brussels, Bucharest-Otopeni, Budapest, Chicago-O'Hare, Dublin, Düsseldorf, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Gdańsk, Geneva, Gothenburg-Landvetter, Hamburg, Hanover, Helsinki, Linköping, London-Heathrow, Luxembourg, Málaga, Manchester, Milan-Linate, Milan-Malpensa, Moscow-Sheremetyevo, Munich, Newark, Newcastle, Nice, Oslo-Gardermoen, Palanga, Palma de Mallorca, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Poznań, Prague, Pristina, Rome-Fiumicino, Saint Petersburg, San Francisco, Shanghai-Pudong, Stavanger, Stockholm-Arlanda, Stuttgart, Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion, Tokyo-Narita, Trondheim, Venice, Vilnius, Warsaw-Chopin, Washington-Dulles, Wrocław, Zürich
Seasonal: Bastia, Biarritz, Cagliari, Chania, Dubrovnik, Faro, Gazipaşa, Ivalo, Kiruna, Montpellier, Naples, Kittilä, Palermo, Pisa, Pristina, Pula, Salzburg, Split, Thessaloniki
Not sure how you conclude CPH is no longer the main hub, when it still features flights to quite a few more destinations than ARN, according to the list you posted?
Old May 4, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I like connecting at CPH as an alternative to my usual LHR and FRA... so for me, great news.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by Stranger
Not convinced. CPH appears to be the SK main hub, not ARN. Plus, ARN is further away. Most of Scandinavia is well served from CPH.

Anyway, looking at my patterns and final destinations, I have travelled to CPH once, BGO twice, OSL twice and GOT twice. Never to ARN... At least as a final destination. I once connected, going I think from OSL (but maybe GOT) to CDG.

(Apart from our last trip to BGO, this was all before AC started CPH though.)
CPH is definitely more convenient for Scandinavia as a whole. Good connections to almost everywhere by flight or train.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
I wish I understood AC's decision to focus solely on serving the Nordics via CPH (this isn't new, it's been true for 40 years). At a minimum, they should be adding ARN rather than increasing capacity at CPH.

ARN (and OSL for that matter) is almost as big as CPH, and Sweden is both much bigger, and far more important as a trading/tourism country for Canada, than Denmark is.

I get that CPH is a slightly better Star Alliance connecting airport, but it's a marginal advantage, given the increase in European service across the board.
Given how small Scandinavia is, I'm surprised there's as much service as there is.

On a semi-related note, why is SAS not part of the trans-Atlantic JV with AC/UA/LH/etc.?
Old May 5, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
LOL +1 on this - We're not even talking the same thing. ARN and such are like an hour flying from CPH. GIG -> LIM is serious distance. GIG flights would not negatively impact LIM flights under any circumstances... They're so far apart! Thats like saying adding a flight to IST is going to Impact Dublin. Not likely.

It is interesting to note though that AC seems to be boosting a lot of its Euro destinations this fall. AMS got another run, CPH just got another run, Rome is going to run for 2 extra months 3 days from YYZ and 2 days from YUL instead of 3X to Milan.

It will be most interesting to see what AC itself has to say about its strategy tomorrow.
From what I've read, much of the recent profitability of North American airlines is due to capacity restraint during the (slow) economic recovery. With all this addition/expansion of service by AC, is anyone else worried they haven't learned their lesson and will be back in trouble when the next downturn hits?
Old May 5, 2015, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Arcanum
With all this addition/expansion of service by AC, is anyone else worried they haven't learned their lesson and will be back in trouble when the next downturn hits?
worried... hoping....
Old May 5, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
Who in business anywhere has "learned their lesson" exactly? We live in a time of financial lunacy.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:02 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by Arcanum
From what I've read, much of the recent profitability of North American airlines is due to capacity restraint during the (slow) economic recovery. With all this addition/expansion of service by AC, is anyone else worried they haven't learned their lesson and will be back in trouble when the next downturn hits?
It's a good question, one many analysts ask us. Without getting into a debate on the merits of our expansion plans, if you like I can shed some light on this. The truth is we were underperforming in comparison to the American carriers. They had six legacy carriers and merged to create three of the largest in the world, while we were stagnant at 56-58 widebodies for much of the last decade. Our schedule, network, natural geographic position (e.g. flying from a US city to Asia usually requires one to fly over YYZ or YVR anyway, and if you're making a connection YYZ/YVR are much more pleasant airports through which to connect than JFK or ORD or SFO), etc., all lends credence to our growth plans - which you can see is targeting international (vs regional) expansion and more sixth freedom traffic. Over the past five or six years, our new routes have seen roughly a 90% success (vs 50% about a decade ago), and many (such as CPH) are seeing added capacity YoY. There are certainly those that love to deride us (and the Leafs...after all, it is the national pastime in Canada ), but I would certainly hope those same people are able to objectively look at the industry and our rising place in it.

Using the American carriers as examples of capacity reduction isn't a great benchmark as the markets, assets, etc. are different. We're also keenly aware of the cyclic nature of this industry and do have many plans in place in case of an industry downturn which would allow us to weather the storm, such as swing capacity and cheap or paid-off aircraft.

Hopefully that gives a little insight into why we are doing what we're doing!
Old May 5, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Now they just need to put the 787 back on the route!
Old May 5, 2015, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Wait what?

I have a July booking that's still on the 788. Although I'll admit you made me just go look it up
Old May 5, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Wait what?

I have a July booking that's still on the 788. Although I'll admit you made me just go look it up
I think its 788 service until end of October then goes back to 763
Old May 5, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Wait what?

Haha, sorry. It's a frequent route for me, but past fall 15 it's reverting back to the old pods.

Old May 5, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE,MM
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
It's a good question, one many analysts ask us. Without getting into a debate on the merits of our expansion plans, if you like I can shed some light on this. The truth is we were underperforming in comparison to the American carriers. They had six legacy carriers and merged to create three of the largest in the world, while we were stagnant at 56-58 widebodies for much of the last decade. Our schedule, network, natural geographic position (e.g. flying from a US city to Asia usually requires one to fly over YYZ or YVR anyway, and if you're making a connection YYZ/YVR are much more pleasant airports through which to connect than JFK or ORD or SFO), etc., all lends credence to our growth plans - which you can see is targeting international (vs regional) expansion and more sixth freedom traffic. Over the past five or six years, our new routes have seen roughly a 90% success (vs 50% about a decade ago), and many (such as CPH) are seeing added capacity YoY. There are certainly those that love to deride us (and the Leafs...after all, it is the national pastime in Canada ), but I would certainly hope those same people are able to objectively look at the industry and our rising place in it.

Using the American carriers as examples of capacity reduction isn't a great benchmark as the markets, assets, etc. are different. We're also keenly aware of the cyclic nature of this industry and do have many plans in place in case of an industry downturn which would allow us to weather the storm, such as swing capacity and cheap or paid-off aircraft.

Hopefully that gives a little insight into why we are doing what we're doing!
Thanks for chiming in. Glad to see your post didn't set off a bunch of spiteful rhetoric.

I'm interested in your reference to the analyst community. What kind of specifics/details do you give them re your expansion plans and contingency arrangements?
Old May 5, 2015, 7:37 pm
Flying Blue Director

Thanks for chiming in. Glad to see your post didn't set off a bunch of spiteful rhetoric.

I'm interested in your reference to the analyst community. What kind of specifics/details do you give them re your expansion plans and contingency arrangements?
Me too, I'm rather surprised actually!

I can't speak to that directly, but I would invite you to listen to our analyst calls/webcasts when we announce our quarterly results. You can find the link here: https://www.aircanada.com/en/about/investor/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.