Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is a bartender a new MLL enhancement ?

Is a bartender a new MLL enhancement ?

Old May 3, 15, 4:14 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: YOW
Programs: AC E75; A3 *G; SPG PLAT; NEXUS
Posts: 116
Is a bartender a new MLL enhancement ?

Currently in YOW MLL.

The bar seems to be mainly closed. The usual wall of bottles has the door closed, and there is only a scotch, port, and a couple liqueurs out. All other bottles locked up ??

Is this some new "enhancement" to the MLL ?
pkfk13 is offline  
Old May 3, 15, 4:30 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Posts: 19,284
Originally Posted by pkfk13 View Post
Currently in YOW MLL.

The bar seems to be mainly closed. The usual wall of bottles has the door closed, and there is only a scotch, port, and a couple liqueurs out. All other bottles locked up ??

Is this some new "enhancement" to the MLL ?
I was just there like 2 days ago. And as YXXflyer can attest to, I did "the usual". If they are getting rid of it I will be very displeased. Ask the MLL agent please! I'm back there in 2 weeks...the world is coming to an end!!
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old May 3, 15, 4:46 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YOW
Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Posts: 705
When I was there last month everything seemed normal. Maybe they just had a run this weekend and ran out of a lot?
jcamp028 is offline  
Old May 3, 15, 6:10 pm
  #4  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 6,189
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Was there a credit card reader, or do you need a handful of twoonies?
KenHamer is offline  
Old May 3, 15, 7:03 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: YOW, LHR, SIN
Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Posts: 613
Does it have to do with the Sens not making it to the playoffs?
aircanada_loyal is offline  
Old May 3, 15, 7:30 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: YYC
Programs: UA 1K, AC E50, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,970
Seems like they're in the process of going to a tended bar setup everywhere, so not sure whether this may have something to do with it. In YEG this week, they had a portable bar set up in front of where the liquor was normally kept, so you couldn't help yourself. The attendant said the change was permanent. Was there some type of bar setup there instead of the self serve bar?
gcashin is offline  
Old May 3, 15, 7:37 pm
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Posts: 19,284
Originally Posted by gcashin View Post
Seems like they're in the process of going to a tended bar setup everywhere, so not sure whether this may have something to do with it. In YEG this week, they had a portable bar set up in front of where the liquor was normally kept, so you couldn't help yourself. The attendant said the change was permanent. Was there some type of bar setup there instead of the self serve bar?
UGH. Unreal. They seem to be targeting where alcohol is consumed the most. YYC/YEG makes sense, YOW also makes sense...sigh I hope you're wrong, but you're probably right
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old May 3, 15, 10:27 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 4,330
They must have decided that they are haemorrhaging costs through the alcohol.

The YVR MLL International has downsized their wines glasses so much, that I thought they were liqueur glasses.
worldtraveller73 is offline  
Old May 4, 15, 12:39 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 29,291
Sorry AC - but if you are moving to bartenders system wide, I will consider this as degradation of quality.

But my opinion means squat. So whatever.

You will never live up to Asian carrier quality if you go this route.
yyznomad is offline  
Old May 4, 15, 4:23 am
  #10  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 6,189
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Seems pretty obvious that once tended bars are implemented throughout the system it's a very short step to charging for drinks.

They may claim that they are trying to compete with CX and the like, but almost every action they take suggests they are actually trying to compete with US carriers.
KenHamer is offline  
Old May 4, 15, 5:35 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Posts: 926
A different take

I could actually see this as a positive....

Less inebriated passengers boarding flights (esp. YYC-YYZ)
It could be an Altitude perk down the road (they now give drink coupons) - think of the bartering that could occur online and in person
And yes, it would cost less
Wings100 is offline  
Old May 4, 15, 6:48 am
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Posts: 19,284
Originally Posted by Wings100 View Post
I could actually see this as a positive....

Less inebriated passengers boarding flights (esp. YYC-YYZ)
It could be an Altitude perk down the road (they now give drink coupons) - think of the bartering that could occur online and in person
And yes, it would cost less
Drink coupons?? Is this a joke? What is the AC lounge now? Like prom night??

I don't see how this helps the issue you speak of. Nothing prevents a passenger to go to chilis or another watering hole and having more to drink. That's what a credit card is for. To me, this is AC cheapening out.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old May 4, 15, 6:59 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YUL
Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Posts: 5,421
It's totally "AC cheapening out"

They seem so unsure about the direction they want to take, it's dizzying. They charge premium prices yet shore up their budget services. Ugh
ffsim is offline  
Old May 4, 15, 7:02 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Programs: AC Elite 50K
Posts: 367
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Sorry AC - but if you are moving to bartenders system wide, I will consider this as degradation of quality.

But my opinion means squat. So whatever.

You will never live up to Asian carrier quality if you go this route.
SQ put a tended bar in Hong Kong.
LittleYHZ is offline  
Old May 4, 15, 7:06 am
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Posts: 19,284
Originally Posted by ffsim View Post
It's totally "AC cheapening out"

They seem so unsure about the direction they want to take, it's dizzying. They charge premium prices yet shore up their budget services. Ugh
Yep and their own bartenders admit to it when asked!

And I agree to what nomad said. AC will never be like an Asian carrier. I have talked about this to a few service directors. All of them laughed when I told them about this. They mostly cited that their work colleagues have bad attitudes and they even bring the service directors mood down. So really?? Asian carriers as the new standards. Maybe when penguins can fly....wait a second.....
superangrypenguin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: