FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Is a bartender a new MLL enhancement ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1677103-bartender-new-mll-enhancement.html)

pkfk13 May 3, 2015 3:14 pm

Is a bartender a new MLL enhancement ?

Currently in YOW MLL.

The bar seems to be mainly closed. The usual wall of bottles has the door closed, and there is only a scotch, port, and a couple liqueurs out. All other bottles locked up ??

Is this some new "enhancement" to the MLL ?

superangrypenguin May 3, 2015 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by pkfk13 (Post 24759438)
Currently in YOW MLL.

The bar seems to be mainly closed. The usual wall of bottles has the door closed, and there is only a scotch, port, and a couple liqueurs out. All other bottles locked up ??

Is this some new "enhancement" to the MLL ?

I was just there like 2 days ago. And as YXXflyer can attest to, I did "the usual". If they are getting rid of it I will be very displeased. Ask the MLL agent please! I'm back there in 2 weeks...the world is coming to an end!! ;)

jcamp028 May 3, 2015 3:46 pm

When I was there last month everything seemed normal. Maybe they just had a run this weekend and ran out of a lot?

KenHamer May 3, 2015 5:10 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Was there a credit card reader, or do you need a handful of twoonies?

aircanada_loyal May 3, 2015 6:03 pm

Does it have to do with the Sens not making it to the playoffs?

gcashin May 3, 2015 6:30 pm

Seems like they're in the process of going to a tended bar setup everywhere, so not sure whether this may have something to do with it. In YEG this week, they had a portable bar set up in front of where the liquor was normally kept, so you couldn't help yourself. The attendant said the change was permanent. Was there some type of bar setup there instead of the self serve bar?

superangrypenguin May 3, 2015 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin (Post 24760133)
Seems like they're in the process of going to a tended bar setup everywhere, so not sure whether this may have something to do with it. In YEG this week, they had a portable bar set up in front of where the liquor was normally kept, so you couldn't help yourself. The attendant said the change was permanent. Was there some type of bar setup there instead of the self serve bar?

UGH. :( Unreal. They seem to be targeting where alcohol is consumed the most. YYC/YEG makes sense, YOW also makes sense...sigh :td: I hope you're wrong, but you're probably right :eek:

worldtraveller73 May 3, 2015 9:27 pm

They must have decided that they are haemorrhaging costs through the alcohol.

The YVR MLL International has downsized their wines glasses so much, that I thought they were liqueur glasses. :rolleyes:

yyznomad May 3, 2015 11:39 pm

Sorry AC - but if you are moving to bartenders system wide, I will consider this as degradation of quality.

But my opinion means squat. So whatever.

You will never live up to Asian carrier quality if you go this route.

KenHamer May 4, 2015 3:23 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Seems pretty obvious that once tended bars are implemented throughout the system it's a very short step to charging for drinks.

They may claim that they are trying to compete with CX and the like, but almost every action they take suggests they are actually trying to compete with US carriers.

Wings100 May 4, 2015 4:35 am

A different take

I could actually see this as a positive....

Less inebriated passengers boarding flights (esp. YYC-YYZ)
It could be an Altitude perk down the road (they now give drink coupons) - think of the bartering that could occur online and in person
And yes, it would cost less

superangrypenguin May 4, 2015 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Wings100 (Post 24761615)
I could actually see this as a positive....

Less inebriated passengers boarding flights (esp. YYC-YYZ)
It could be an Altitude perk down the road (they now give drink coupons) - think of the bartering that could occur online and in person
And yes, it would cost less

Drink coupons?? Is this a joke? What is the AC lounge now? Like prom night??

I don't see how this helps the issue you speak of. Nothing prevents a passenger to go to chilis or another watering hole and having more to drink. That's what a credit card is for. To me, this is AC cheapening out.

ffsim May 4, 2015 5:59 am

It's totally "AC cheapening out"

They seem so unsure about the direction they want to take, it's dizzying. They charge premium prices yet shore up their budget services. Ugh

LittleYHZ May 4, 2015 6:02 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 24760966)
Sorry AC - but if you are moving to bartenders system wide, I will consider this as degradation of quality.

But my opinion means squat. So whatever.

You will never live up to Asian carrier quality if you go this route.

SQ put a tended bar in Hong Kong.

superangrypenguin May 4, 2015 6:06 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 24761828)
It's totally "AC cheapening out"

They seem so unsure about the direction they want to take, it's dizzying. They charge premium prices yet shore up their budget services. Ugh

Yep and their own bartenders admit to it when asked!

And I agree to what nomad said. AC will never be like an Asian carrier. I have talked about this to a few service directors. All of them laughed when I told them about this. They mostly cited that their work colleagues have bad attitudes and they even bring the service directors mood down. So really?? Asian carriers as the new standards. Maybe when penguins can fly....wait a second.....