Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
FWIW, my only true PY experience has been on Rapidair and I was never charged for drinks, even when I ordered a double of Scotch.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
FWIW, my only true PY experience has been on Rapidair and I was never charged for drinks, even when I ordered a double of Scotch.
Having flown PY before, I have never been charged for a drink either. FA was quite friendly otherwise so I chalk this up to training perhaps.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
Having flown PY before, I have never been charged for a drink either. FA was quite friendly otherwise so I chalk this up to training perhaps.
No, you were just drunk.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I had one flight (TPAC, I think) where the PY FA was insistent that drinks were not complimentary. I determined that I was willing to drink it for free but not pay, but passenger behind took up the debate. The menu is clear they are complimentary but they confiscated the menu after meals were ordered and before taking drink orders. After a debate moderated by a senior FA or SD, the FA came back and clarified that the beverages were complimentary. I think they may have more FAs working PY than they have training/experience in the minutiae.
Aren't all drinks are free in all cabins on TPAC?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Did they give you the crappy JW Black they serve in J or the decent Glenlivet they offer for sale in Y?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Did they give you the crappy JW Black they serve in J or the decent Glenlivet they offer for sale in Y?
"Crappy" JW Black.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes.
Perhaps that is true; but it was PY somewhere, and they were not interested in serving free plonk, despite offering it on the menu. Maybe it was a PLH TCON. Anyway, thanks to another passenger, I got my free plonk.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
"do you have NEXUS?" when deciding to hand out CBSA forms, inbound to YYZ.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by RangerNS
"do you have NEXUS?" when deciding to hand out CBSA forms, inbound to YYZ.
That makes sense. The form is not required for NEXUS holders.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by flyquiet
That makes sense. The form is not required for NEXUS holders.
Very true. Except if you are transiting to elsewhere in Canada in which case OSS has no NEXUS machine so you need to fill out the form. Then the OSS lineup is too long so you end up going through the main hall and not needing the form again.

Did I mention how dumb OSS is at YYZ before? ;-)
Stranger, ridefar and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by padawanflyer
About a month ago, flying YYZ to YVR, had an FA tell me and the guy beside me that use of electronic devices was not allowed during take off and landing and made me put my iPad2 away and him put his phone away. She did this before take off and landing, we were both shocked since that hasn't been true for several years as far as I know. Definitely wasn't the rule on the connecting AC flight just before this one or any of the others I've been on for years...
This was posted in April, but the same thing sort of happened to me yesterday flying YVR to YYZ... the FA made us put our tablets away. I asked if it was due to my seat (exit row in Y on 77W), but he said no, we just "couldn't have anything on our laps during takeoff or landing." I was a little irked, but polite, and just followed up with "oh, I didn't realize that rule is in place... no one has said something in the 40 flights I've taken this year..."... to which he said "well, maybe they didn't see you using it?"

I asked another FA, and he confirmed my assumption which is that I was fine to use it in my seat during take off and landing... it might be a small thing, but we were very delayed because they had issues with the baggage, and then it took us a while to figure out the descent situation coming into Toronto, and I've been billing 60+ hour weeks while doing the transcontinental commute. I hate that I lost close to an hour of productive time because the FAs can't get their stories straight.

I did get in trouble for using a wireless mouse, though. Those are only acceptable to use when "the wifi is fully operational"... and on that plane it was still in testing mode. Though when I checked the policy today I noticed that wireless mice are technically still banned. As are bluetooth headsets on planes without operational wifi.

I hate flying the 77W. I only took it because I was taking a chance at landing an upgrade.

OH. And has ANYONE EVER had success using Gogo Wifi between YYC and YVR? Because it hasn't worked ONCE and the FAs act like I'm crazy when I ask. Because now I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure it out.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by meagicano
OH. And has ANYONE EVER had success using Gogo Wifi between YYC and YVR?
Yes, but it is hit and miss over the Rocks.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vernonc
So on TPAC PE and then connected to PE YVR-YYZ.
Had a couple of drinks with meal, no issue. Two diff FAs served.
Asked for another drink later on, another FA told me that only the first drink is free. So I paid and had another drink.
Check the AC website and the onboard menu, there is no mention of paid drinks in PE. So what gives ?
I dont care about the $7, just seems weird. Was the FA mistaken or making stuff up to discourage me from drinking.
And before any RCHHMP chime in, I was not drunk, very far from it.
So I did write in to inquire about the drink policy in PE with this example. Got an apology, token compensation and a confirmation that drinks in PE are complementary.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Are we doing curious things the flight crew says?

"Sorry for the delay getting off, it was due to a late inbound aircraft from Laguardia; that route is always busy"

If you know that, and I know that, why doesn't operations know that? And more to the point, why would they both unload at one of the non-hermaphrodite gates and board at a domestic only, and thus have to burn another 10 minutes dragging the 320 around the pier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.