Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
When I boarded AC 3 YVR-NRT with a friend, I was held back because the SD/FA (can't recall who) needed to see my boarding pass. I said "I'm 1D, he's 1G". That was not good enough.

As I was fishing it out of where I had just put it, the conversation went like:

"Why do you need to see it?"
"It's a security requirement."
"Is it new?"
"No, it's been this way for at least 3 years."
"None of my other flights this month have asked for it"
"Oh you must fly narrow-body a lot"
"4 of them were transatlantic"

That was roughly when I found the BP and showed her, so the conversation ended, but part of that conversation is likely wrong. Because there are 3 possibilities.

1. It's not a requirement
2. It's newer than 3 years
3. Every other crew is neglecting their jobs
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While boarding a flight YYZ/YSB on Saturday morning, FA said "good morning Mr. acysb87,nice to see you again."

Is that not weird?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
A FA on 33 called the 777 a dreamliner when answering a passenger to what equipment we were on
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
When I boarded AC 3 YVR-NRT with a friend, I was held back because the SD/FA (can't recall who) needed to see my boarding pass. I said "I'm 1D, he's 1G". That was not good enough.

As I was fishing it out of where I had just put it, the conversation went like:

"Why do you need to see it?"
"It's a security requirement."
"Is it new?"
"No, it's been this way for at least 3 years."
"None of my other flights this month have asked for it"
"Oh you must fly narrow-body a lot"
"4 of them were transatlantic"

That was roughly when I found the BP and showed her, so the conversation ended, but part of that conversation is likely wrong. Because there are 3 possibilities.

1. It's not a requirement
2. It's newer than 3 years
3. Every other crew is neglecting their jobs
Around the time that BP checks were eliminated for cabin crews working narrowbody flights, the decision was made to keep BP checks on widebodies so that pax could be directed down the correct aisle. Nothing to do with security -- that aspect relies entirely on the gate agents (lord help us). Your observations don't exactly come as a surprise.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Ive given up trying to guess when they will and wont ask for it, I keep it out until I get to my seat. This of course means that I have to put it away at my seat potentially delaying boarding. Its especially possible pointless when Z1-2 are boarding, not that that is always followed.

Unless there are two gates accessible once part the GA who scans it which is, rare I believe, there is no real reason its needed, for the majority of passengers. I am and have been aware of exactly where my seat is in every airplane Ive been on for many years thanks to the beauty of seat maps and OLCI.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by JungleJet
Around the time that BP checks were eliminated for cabin crews working narrowbody flights, the decision was made to keep BP checks on widebodies so that pax could be directed down the correct aisle. Nothing to do with security -- that aspect relies entirely on the gate agents (lord help us). Your observations don't exactly come as a surprise.
Yup. Normally I know which aisle I want and just tell them "I'm in A" or whatever and they'll realize I know what I am doing. But they're just directing traffic down the right aisle, it is nothing to do with security.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Yup. Normally I know which aisle I want and just tell them "I'm in A" or whatever and they'll realize I know what I am doing. But they're just directing traffic down the right aisle, it is nothing to do with security.
In my case, I said "he's 1G, I'm 1D".

She still wouldn't let me past without seeing my BP.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC*E
My understanding was that it has to be shown on wide body planes and this was after a couple of cases when people boarded the wrong flights and didn't realize until after pushback and also after that weird HKG case 7 years ago when that young dude dressed in the old man mask managed to board and get to Canada wearing a disguise.

Supposedly a boarding pass check would have caught that guy
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:02 pm

In my case, I said "he's 1G, I'm 1D".

She still wouldn't let me past without seeing my BP.
Very similar situation for me, I said Im in whatever seat and the BP was demanded.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by abrandnewcar
My understanding was that it has to be shown on wide body planes and this was after a couple of cases when people boarded the wrong flights and didn't realize until after pushback and also after that weird HKG case 7 years ago when that young dude dressed in the old man mask managed to board and get to Canada wearing a disguise.

Do you know how easily I can forge a mobile BP? That's a stupid check. That's the GA's job.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:31 pm

Do you know how easily I can forge a mobile BP? That's a stupid check. That's the GA's job.
While I agree, didnt one of the FTers on this board once get on the wrong plane? Hence I can see the need for a sense check of the flight number ... But only when two aircraft are accessible via the same gate. Granted I dont fly that much ... but Ive only seen this once or twice.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by abrandnewcar

Yeah, I think that is incorrect, assuming you are not just being sarcastic ;-)

First, there is no difference between a narrow body and a wide body when it comes to BP checking with the gate agent. Why would they perform the check on the plane afterwards on dual isle planes but not on single ones?

Second, I could have a boarding pass saying anything ... they aren't checking ID, or scanning it, just a visual check of the BP. The only reason to check is to get people down the right aisle, anything else would be trivial to get around on purpose.

Third, when I flew a TPAC J this year I was chatting with the SD when I boarded because I was travelling with my broken foot. I was first on the plane, and she asked for by BP and I said "I'm in 2A" (or whatever it was) and I didn't want to drop my crutches to fish it out and she said oh that's fine. Waiting for the other PAX to start boarding we were chatting about how many people board and have no idea where they are going on the large wide bodies, hence why they ask.

Fourth, if they are really interested in avoiding people accidentally on the wrong plane there are other ways. For example, when the United EWR and ORD flights board at 6am from the same gate area in YOW they actually complete boarding and then announce the flight destination over the PA before they close the cabin door to catch people on the wrong flight, it happens so often. But the boarding for an AC widebody has gates so spaced apart it isn't like you are going to wander down the wrong jetway; the GA would have to screw up for you to get on the wrong flight.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: *G
As stated, the theory with BP presentation on widebodies is to make sure that pax are directed to the correct aisle - but there is a third possibility - if directed from the door "to the other side" of the aircraft, someone may end up in the catering truck (it's happened).
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by fin 645
if directed from the door "to the other side" of the aircraft, someone may end up in the catering truck (it's happened).
LOL please share more details if you can.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Waiting for the other PAX to start boarding we were chatting about how many people board and have no idea where they are going on the large wide bodies, hence why they ask.

No kidding. I often resist the urge to tell a few fellow passengers that row 35 follows sequentially after row 33 and 34 and is well down from row 6 (or some such).
ChrisA330 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.