Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Limo service at YYZ for domestic to international transfers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Limo service at YYZ for domestic to international transfers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Just got to the YYZ Intl MLL. Was met coming off the plane from YYC by a very nice concierge with an iPad saying "MR. SMITH". I asked which one and it was me. Randomly selected for the BMW service for my connection to CDG.

Very pleasant. Thanks to AC for an interesting new experience.
AC doesn't give away P/Z fares and I bet if we had access to the numbers, you'd find that most paid J are actually P/Z and a big chunk of the cabin goes to Aeroplan and upgraders. Not many people, even high-flying executives or very wealthy people, are going to pay the massive premium often asked for C/J.

Yield is an extremely complex calculation and it's ludicrous to make a blanket statement like people on P/Z fares shouldn't get limo service. A few weeks ago I was looking at YYC-YYZ-BOG return and could have had full J for under $3K. That route doesn't cost AC a lot more to operate than the YYC-YYZ-CDG I'm on right now, which was >$6500 for a Z fare. So I guarantee you my Z ticket on this itinerary is a far higher yielding ticket for AC.

This is where someone jumps in and says "but P/Z usually sells for not a lot more than Latitude!" True, but again, the proportion of the Y cabin that's sold on Y/B fares is quite low relative to Tango and Flex. Apples to oranges.

I don't know exactly who they'll want to target this at if they do decide to make it permanent, but saying that no one who flies a P/Z fare should get it is ignorant.

Last edited by Braindrain; Jun 4, 2015 at 11:02 pm Reason: Edited for language
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Just got to the YYZ Intl MLL. Was met coming off the plane from YYC by a very nice concierge with an iPad saying "MR. SMITH". I asked which one and it was me. Randomly selected for the BMW service for my connection to CDG.

Very pleasant. Thanks to AC for an interesting new experience.

Also, to those up-thread who keep sh!tting on P/Z fare buyers, would you knock it off? AC doesn't give away P/Z fares and I bet if we had access to the numbers, you'd find that most paid J are actually P/Z and a big chunk of the cabin goes to Aeroplan and upgraders. Not many people, even high-flying executives or very wealthy people, are going to pay the massive premium often asked for C/J.

Yield is an extremely complex calculation and it's ludicrous to make a blanket statement like people on P/Z fares shouldn't get limo service. A few weeks ago I was looking at YYC-YYZ-BOG return and could have had full J for under $3K. That route doesn't cost AC a lot more to operate than the YYC-YYZ-CDG I'm on right now, which was >$6500 for a Z fare. So I guarantee you my Z ticket on this itinerary is a far higher yielding ticket for AC.

This is where someone jumps in and says "but P/Z usually sells for not a lot more than Latitude!" True, but again, the proportion of the Y cabin that's sold on Y/B fares is quite low relative to Tango and Flex. Apples to oranges.

I don't know exactly who they'll want to target this at if they do decide to make it permanent, but saying that no one who flies a P/Z fare should get it is ignorant.
Don't worry. The only people shitting on PZ are those that can only afford STKL etc.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dinotoon
I booked my partner an aeroplan (y) ticket from Yxe-yyz-BCN. I'm already in BCN so he is travelling alone. He was quite surprised when he walked off the plane (with a 4 hour layover) and there was a concierge waiting for him. They drove him to the lounge in a BMW. The funny thing is, he has no status and shouldn't even have had lounge access on the aeroplan ticket. It
Sure made his day!! I've seen three pictures already! Now if only I could get the same service....... 😉
If you booked using your AE points, then his ticket likely showed as S100K status, specially if he did not enter his own AE number.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That would require a name match (or at least a partial name match).

I've booked tickets for people and they definitely didn't show up as S100K.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Just got to the YYZ Intl MLL. Was met coming off the plane from YYC by a very nice concierge with an iPad saying "MR. SMITH".
That's one of the things I do not like about this, I wish there were more discrete ways to contact passengers chosen for this and other things.

Every-time I see anyone at an airport with my name on a placard, I just keep walking, pretending I never saw them or the name.

I know where I am going and where I need to be, anyone who really needs to contact me already knows how to contact me.

Granted, "Mr. Smith" is a pretty common and innocuous name, mine is not.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:00 am

Damn I wish I had kept walking on Friday. That would have been a lot less embarrassing.

But then I guess you're making them wait there until everyone is off the plane, and then they get confused.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
But then I guess you're making them wait there until everyone is off the plane, and then they get confused.
Like I said, if anyone *really needs* to get in contact with me, they already know how to do so.

Some random person standing somewhere (that has not been previously arranged with myself) at an airport holding some placard with my name on gets ignored.

So, since the activity we're talking about here isn't previously arranged, they're more than welcome to keep standing around, I don't care if they get confused or not.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by jaysona
Like I said, if anyone *really needs* to get in contact with me, they already know how to do so.

Some random person standing somewhere (that has not been previously arranged with myself) at an airport holding some placard with my name on gets ignored.

So, since the activity we're talking about here isn't previously arranged, they're more than welcome to keep standing around, I don't care if they get confused or not.
You'd ignore someone in a concierge uniform holding a sign with your name on it? What if your connection was cancelled and you hadn't received the notification yet?

If you're Mr. Smith and see your name on signs all the time I could understand. Given that jaysona isn't very common, you're less likely to be confused with someone else....
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:44 pm

I've also never had a sign without my first name on it. My last name is fairly common too (to the point a concierge once thought she got the wrong one on the flight because I didn't look old enough).

But with my first and last, I know they're looking for me.

But when I'm coming off my final segment, I don't necessarily want to stop and wait. Obviously at a connection point, I'm going to assume it's related to onward travel.

But if my one segment arrives on schedule, and I haven't requested anything, I'm willing to bet there's been a misunderstanding somewhere, and I might not feel like taking the time to sort it out.

I've never ignored my name, but I can easily envision a situation (1am arrival, etc.) where I'd consider it.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've also never had a sign without my first name on it. My last name is fairly common too (to the point a concierge once thought she got the wrong one on the flight because I didn't look old enough).

But with my first and last, I know they're looking for me.

But when I'm coming off my final segment, I don't necessarily want to stop and wait. Obviously at a connection point, I'm going to assume it's related to onward travel.

But if my one segment arrives on schedule, and I haven't requested anything, I'm willing to bet there's been a misunderstanding somewhere, and I might not feel like taking the time to sort it out.

I've never ignored my name, but I can easily envision a situation (1am arrival, etc.) where I'd consider it.
Could be some kind of emergency and they want to help in some fashion.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
What if your connection was cancelled and you hadn't received the notification yet?
I'd know about and have made arrangements by the time the plane arrives at the gate.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
if its Air Canada holding up your name, you know its bad news, and a embarrassing screw up that's about to get worse.

This new "car service" in YYZ should be great, if AC contracts it out to competent people.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Don't worry. The only people shitting on PZ are those that can only afford STKL etc.
Just because I can afford paid J does not mean I will use it to fly on AC (or even buy it at all due to corporate travel policy.)
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Just because I can afford paid J does not mean I will use it to fly on AC (or even buy it at all due to corporate travel policy.)
I often feel sorry for a person who has paid full J on AC when there are so many great airlines to choose from.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by why fly
I often feel sorry for a person who has paid full J on AC when there are so many great airlines to choose from.
There are many great airlines, just don't always fly where one has to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.