Earn Your Wings - Fourth Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alc
Last Day, last 4 flights and problem started

- My YYZ-YOW is being return to gate to perform some check they forgot to do on the wing(s). (or something, was half sleep at the time). We are at the gate right now waiting.

- My YOW-YQB being delay due to some delay all the way from YZY as that plane will go from YZY to YQB to YOW to become my YOW-YQB flight. The plane is on its way from YZY to YQB now.

- Even though I had been monitoring the whole month and I should well know this physical plane will become my YQB-YUL, I went to YYZ customer service desk and request a flight change when I first got the notification of the YOW-YQB delay that trigger the miss-connect. Only if I waited for another 10min, the YQB-YUL notification will come in as well.

- Now the YOW-YQB is delay even more and I will miss-connect the new YQB-YUL flight I am on. Old YQB-YUL is now full and I can't get back on that flight (I really need SE desk now, but I am not SE. ) YYZ customer service desk will not make any changes and. advice me to make any further changes only when I am at YOW or YQB. I guess I am lucky as at the time, I thought my YYZ-YOW will be on time.

So, it will now depends when I will arrive at YOW as I might have a miss-connect to the delayed YOW-YQB flight.

It will be fun when I try to explain to the agent at YOW. But all I know is that my request will be that need to be at YQB and YTZ (which include YUL automatically) today, no matter how they route me, even to the moon if they have to.

I will post what my day end up to be when(if) I get home tonight. Now I will try to go back to sleep as I need my head to be clear and not making any more mistake.
With these types of connections, I would never request a reroute until you get to the next airport, because one delay is a misconnect, but two delays is a lucky connection

As I also think I mentioned in a few other places, I would never try anything with such tight connections without being SE. For one, you have a concierge at most airports who can do things for you (at the very least, they can call the SE desk for you while you're in the air). And last year, we were put on a full flight, from Tango fares, causing someone to be bumped off and paid $800, after our original flight was cancelled. It's not explicitly mentioned in the IROP policy, but SEs do have certain privileges in these situations that really help.

If it's your last day, and you don't need to be home tomorrow, I'd just ask them to keep you on the same itinerary, even if it means moving some flights to tomorrow. It's hard for them to argue with that. I'd also ask for a hotel, but that might be pushing it, because in a way, you "caused" this situation by "unnecessarily" changing a flight.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:14 pm
alc

Okay, at YUL, waiting for the flight to YTZ. I had been YOW and YQB already, so I am good now.

I am still killing myself for making that flight change. I had been capturing all gate and flight status since May 7 just to get myself prepare for this. But during that "panic" moment and concern they will rebook me automatically on some direct flight. My brain obviously was not functioning and YYZ Customer Service desk happen right next to me when I rec'd the text that the flight was delay. Anyway, I will call this "rookie mistake". And I do agree with CC, with a number of tight connections in a row, you do need the power of the SE in case of any issue. I took my chances when I make the booking and I got lucky today.

In summary, I am end up back to the same flight that was booked on - the one that become full when I took myself off initially.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Glad to hear it worked out. All I can really suggest is "don't panic"

I had a similar situation in EYWv1. SEA-YVR-YYJ-YVR-SEA. My YVR-YYJ flight was delayed, and I thought I was going to misconnect to YYJ-YVR, so I had YVR move me to a later one (but I had long enough connections that I wasn't worried about the next flight).

Sure enough, my YVR-YYJ was the same plane as my original YYJ-YVR. So instead of getting back on and spending time in the YVR MLL, I got to sit in YYJ for an hour
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
In the United lounge at Macarran. Vegas was good to me last night, free nights and up enough $$$ to cover a significant portion of my EYW spend. YYV/YVR/YYJ tonight.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Schedule change. They moved a YWG-YQR back an hour, and it breaks July 3.

Ugh. Not what I want to deal with right now

At least I got a nice personal phone call
It breaks July 10 too lol.

Not trying to win here, just extending segments on an already planned trip. Got a nice call too. She wanted to book me direct, then was apparently looking at my booking as there's a long pause and she says 'Umm. Are you segmenting running for SE. I guess you don't want direct do you?'

There were few other options though and I was in the car and couldn't look it up. If we modify it after to add back segments, does it break it as an eligible booking?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MtlFire
It breaks July 10 too lol.

Not trying to win here, just extending segments on an already planned trip. Got a nice call too. She wanted to book me direct, then was apparently looking at my booking as there's a long pause and she says 'Umm. Are you segmenting running for SE. I guess you don't want direct do you?'

There were few other options though and I was in the car and couldn't look it up. If we modify it after to add back segments, does it break it as an eligible booking?
I'm not sure if you can modify it again without a change fee. You already accepted something.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not sure if you can modify it again without a change fee. You already accepted something.
I inquired as driving I had little choice to look anything up. She said the change fee would be waived. Just don't want any further changes to not count as an eligible flight.

Will look at the badges this weekend, if it only changes a 200 point drop for the airport I might not worry about it.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Well my first day has been uneventful so far.

I'm already tired though
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Day 2 of 10 has a COUPON REQUIRED.

Sigh
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I've decided to try to keep a triplog. We'll see how it goes...

Triplog
Old Jun 14, 2015, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo

Triplog
^

The legend continues...
Old Jun 14, 2015, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo

Triplog
WAIT. HOLD THE BOAT!! (sorry for the caps, used for emphasis).

"Today, I have decided EYW4 will be completely dry for me. "

WHATTTTTT???
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
WAIT. HOLD THE BOAT!! (sorry for the caps, used for emphasis).

"Today, I have decided EYW4 will be completely dry for me. "

WHATTTTTT???
Yep. Decided I'm going to engage in a year of strength training. Booze only makes my farts strong, not so much my arms...

I should note I'm just tidying up a spreadsheet to publish flights; but I will not publish them before I take them, except for the ones that overlap what CC's doing.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I'm cheering you guys on from either the deck chair or 2A @ 41,000

CC & DC - I'm enjoying the trip logs, waiting for the next installments.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by 24left
I'm cheering you guys on from either the deck chair or 2A @ 41,000

CC & DC - I'm enjoying the trip logs, waiting for the next installments.
Do you have stock photos ready to go when the unexpected events start rolling in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.