FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Question: Can children 'redeem' aeroplan miles for others? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1673393-can-children-redeem-aeroplan-miles-others.html)

SAllen Apr 19, 2015 8:35 pm

Can children 'redeem' aeroplan miles for others?

Looking at aeroplan's T&C, it would seem even infants can have their own accounts and earn miles. But my question is, can they redeem miles for an adult? say their parent...?

Bonaventure Apr 19, 2015 8:42 pm

Yes..

superangrypenguin Apr 19, 2015 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by SAllen (Post 24690031)
Looking at aeroplan's T&C, it would seem even infants can have their own accounts and earn miles. But my question is, can they redeem miles for an adult? say their parent...?

Why not? You can redeem miles for your kid too..

Adam Smith Apr 19, 2015 8:49 pm

The infant will only start to earn miles once they have their own ticket, which I think is when they're 2? That's how long my Aeroplan account has been active. Not sure what my parents did with all the miles I earned when I was a kid, I think they might have just accumulated in the account, but you can redeem for anyone you want from any Aeroplan account.

vernonc Apr 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by SAllen (Post 24690031)

Absolutely. My kids have been earning and redeeming miles with my guidance since they were 2.

SAllen Apr 20, 2015 9:31 pm

Thanks all. That's great. I thought an infant can't make decisions and thus cannot redeem miles. Does he/she even have a password!

jerryhung Apr 21, 2015 6:51 am

Bonus on kid's account, super long expiry, until they're 18 I think?

I transfer some AMEX MR to children account :)

superangrypenguin Apr 21, 2015 7:54 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 24696925)
Bonus on kid's account, super long expiry, until they're 18 I think?

I transfer some AMEX MR to children account :)

Hmm. I thought the names had to match though?

canadiancow Apr 21, 2015 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24697193)

Who says they don't? :p

jerryhung Apr 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24697193)

Confirmed: AMEX -> anyone's Aeroplan #

superangrypenguin Apr 21, 2015 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 24699354)
Confirmed: AMEX -> anyone's Aeroplan #

Thanks ^ For some reason I remember a "Confirmed" thing being listed and something about the names matching. Maybe that was SPG? Anyways, thanks :)^

jerryhung Apr 21, 2015 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24699457)
Thanks ^ For some reason I remember a "Confirmed" thing being listed and something about the names matching. Maybe that was SPG? Anyways, thanks :)^

AMEX -> SPG requires EXACT name match, I'm almost certain

AMEX -> Avios, I'm not quite sure. But BA's household account kind of provides a workaround

YHZ_Flyer Apr 21, 2015 6:01 pm

I have been collecting Aeroplan miles since I was 3. I actually still have some miles in my account from many years ago.

superangrypenguin Apr 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 24700476)
AMEX -> SPG requires EXACT name match, I'm almost certain

AMEX -> Avios, I'm not quite sure. But BA's household account kind of provides a workaround

My wife asked me this tonight and I have no idea. I was talking about this thread with her (yes, she's on the receiving end of all of your posts! (the FT community) :D

If MR to AE names don't have to match, what about the VISA Aerogold? Do the names have to match? Thanks!

jerryhung Apr 21, 2015 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24701114)
My wife asked me this tonight and I have no idea. I was talking about this thread with her (yes, she's on the receiving end of all of your posts! (the FT community) :D

If MR to AE names don't have to match, what about the VISA Aerogold? Do the names have to match? Thanks!

Beats me on the TD/CIBC side, I think that one doesn't need match either, but since it's not instant like AMEX is, plus you provide it at application, it's a bit risky to not provide the accurate Aeroplan # in case of future investigation

Heck, it took 3 months/statements for TD to correctly input my Aeroplan # to credit my 25K miles... imagine if it's ANOTHER Aeroplan # of mine in the system somewhere...that will mess up things :D