Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Hundreds of passengers waiting for ONE straggler

Hundreds of passengers waiting for ONE straggler

Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan 50K
Thumbs down Hundreds of passengers waiting for ONE straggler

Yesterday, BGI - YYZ a full plane was boarded and ready for departure. The captain then announced that one person hadn't boarded so they need to off-load the luggage. Understood. We wait, and wait and then FA announced they found the passenger "wandering in the terminal" and we all needed to wait while they got "him through security." How silly is that.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mlbmlb
Yesterday, BGI - YYZ a full plane was boarded and ready for departure. The captain then announced that one person hadn't boarded so they need to off-load the luggage. Understood. We wait, and wait and then FA announced they found the passenger "wandering in the terminal" and we all needed to wait while they got "him through security." How silly is that.
What's your point? The airline started to off load the luggage, but it was deemed that it was quicker to just get him through security (or less costly to AC for rebooking etc). This is a fact of traveling.

I hate it like you do, but it's all part of flying on any airline
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Nothing airline can do. Shame the pax and throw something At it when it boards.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Nothing airline can do. Shame the pax and throw something At it when it boards.
At 'it' ? D
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Don't they usually get an ovation when they finally board?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by The Lev
Don't they usually get an ovation when they finally board?
You're kidding right? I give them a very different "welcome", especially if they sit next to me.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Apr 18, 2015 at 10:19 pm Reason: them, not then.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mlbmlb
This actually happens quite a bit on my TATL flights. Usually it is due to misconnects, but on occasion we do get an aloof passenger.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
What's your point? The airline started to off load the luggage, but it was deemed that it was quicker to just get him through security (or less costly to AC for rebooking etc). This is a fact of traveling.

I hate it like you do, but it's all part of flying on any airline
Why would AC be responsible for rebooking a passenger who did not arrive at the gate before boarding cut-off? (unless he is late due to mis-connection)
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:28 pm

We only know what mlbmlb says that the crew told the passengers. That may or may not reflect all facts and circumstances of the situation.

And the crew who announced it probably wasn't the one who found the "wandering passenger".

There are so many layers between us and the facts and circumstances... And, frankly, I don't take everything for the truth and nothing but that comes through the speakers of an aircraft.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Why would AC be responsible for rebooking a passenger who did not arrive at the gate before boarding cut-off? (unless he is late due to mis-connection)
Do they really not rebook you without a fee in this case?

When I missed my YVR SEA flight at the Do for reasons that will remain at the Do (duh, obvious), they just gave me a ticket for the next day...
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

When I missed my YVR SEA flight at the Do for reasons that will remain at the Do (duh, obvious), they just gave me a ticket for the next day...
You're an E75K on a Latitude fare. That is probably not the same as in this case.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You're an E75K on a Latitude fare. That is probably not the same as in this case.
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks cow, I completely forgot about the fare class for that one. ^ On a flex fare I have also been rebooked free of charge. I'm not sure if that's SOP though. And i'm not sure if being a lowly E75K matters....two flights in my life i've missed now...<sigh>
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
I've had AC close the door on me as I was already through security and was running late due to a 1h delayed connection. I've also seen AC hold planes for ppl. I agree with ppl above, could've took more time to find the bag or, for the larger planes, offload the steel containers to find the bag than getting the person onboard. Pilot's decision.

If you don't like it, it's best to get off the plane because that pilot could also be the one flying the plane and making life or death decisions
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Is there something in the fine print that obliges the airline to offload a bag if the passenger is a no-show? If it takes a prohibitively long amount of time, why wouldn't they leave it on the plane and hold it there for the passenger who will presumably arrive on a later flight?

I've never missed an AC flight (except due to mis-connects), so fortunately I've never had to deal with this situation. It's good to know some flexibility is exercised but Tango & Flex are non-refundable tickets. If you don't show, AC is not obligated to give you anything.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:46 am

Out of BGI ? They hold flight and you are surprised ? Routes to / from sun destinations I have come to expect delays, all things considered low impact cost wise to airline, you might miss a connection if you don't live in YYZ but since it's a hub they just put you on next one

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.