Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Altitude 2015 - upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Altitude 2015 - upgrades

I didn't want to put this in the master thread or derail the other one, so I started this new one, hope that's ok.

------
Q: Now that we're well into the 2015 program, have you noticed any changes in your travels with respect to clearing upgrades when you request them and/or clearing them at the gate?
------

A: For me, I have noticed drastic changes. I note a few empty seats now in the J cabin, and I am clearing upgrades much easier. As one extreme datapoint, I could upgrade YYZ YYC for tomorrow at T-24 and clear the upgrade. That absolutely SHOCKED me. I've been #1 on the upgrade list for flights such as YVR YYZ (you can ask where you are on the list from the GA or during check in). I used to be #4 onwards on certain routes.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
The SEs who do a lot of overseas trips are saving their eUps for those trips and skipping domestic/transborder.

I can only assume this as that is what I am doing. I have already crossed the pacific twice with a minimum of two more times this year. I need to keep those eUPs for that reason.

I am sure that is more common than uncommon
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lcohen999
The SEs who do a lot of overseas trips are saving their eUps for those trips and skipping domestic/transborder.

I can only assume this as that is what I am doing. I have already crossed the pacific twice with a minimum of two more times this year. I need to keep those eUPs for that reason.

Good point. I've read that more than once on FT.

Are there no SE's who only do domestic travel? Are they so few and far between?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I have seen no changes yet.

The percentage of upgrades I get in advance or at the gate have been the same as previous years.

I have not seen a difference yet in the number of people in J. It always seems full.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm in the same boat as lcohen999.

I suspect even those SE's who travel mostly domestically do at least some international travel (e.g. for vacation), so even they might also be inclined to save their eUpgrades for the "occasional" trip. If two of you go on vacation, you will burn most of the eUpgrades you earn for the year on one return longhaul trip.

Unless you are buying Latitude or at least M fares, your eUpgrades won't take you far domestically either - especially given how many flights you'd need to be on if you qualify purely on domestic flying.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Lev
I'm in the same boat as lcohen999.

I suspect even those SE's who travel mostly domestically do at least some international travel (e.g. for vacation), so even they might also be inclined to save their eUpgrades for the "occasional" trip. If two of you go on vacation, you will burn most of the eUpgrades you earn for the year on one return longhaul trip.

Unless you are buying Latitude or at least M fares, your eUpgrades won't take you far domestically either - especially given how many flights you'd need to be on if you qualify purely on domestic flying.
I get the point and thank you for the reply, but just for the record, M U and H fares are now hi-flex domestically.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC SE 200K, SPG PLAT, HH DIAMOND
Good point. I've read that more than once on FT.

I'm one of the SE's that does only domestic and transborder. I go overseas once every two years and all the rest is domestic and I qualify on miles and segments, but miles first as our policy allows paid J over 4 hours so I enjoy my monthly west coast trip.
Still trying to get my next ORD trip approved but they're frowning on the YYZ-DEN-ORD itinerary to get me over 4 hours...
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I am definitely seeing a difference (compared to the 1 month I had status in 2014). I was able to upgrade on AC153 YYZ-YVR during March Break at T-2. Also able to upgrade from YYZ-NAS at T-2. I'm 2/3 on upgrades this year.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, 2MM, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Diamond
I have also noticed much easier upgrades ^, unfortunately I am now skipping some, eg last month YYZ-YYC was in cheap flex so did not want to loose 15 eUG points
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999

That's exactly what I'm doing. Heck, I'm flying YYZ->LHR on Thursday, and I decided to take the day flight so that I don't need to blow my upgrades on that. I need the upgrades for the 12+ hour flights ...
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Good point. I've read
I'm domestic only, but most is domestic long-haul. Flew about 60 segments last year to get there.

I think clearing upgrades is easier this year. I'm 4/4 domestic long-haul for my non-status nominees and 2/2 for same-day non-status travel companions.

I agree many are probably saving credits. I plan to use them until I run out.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC SE
Don't ever fly much in winter, so no real data yet, but just bought 2 short notice flights YYC-YUL/YYZ in the last week. All 4 legs had R space at the time of booking. Buying low flex inside 5 day window was able to upgrade immediately. As an E50 pre co-pay, wouldn't have bothered to upgrade domestic, saving for long-haul and also conditioned to have low odds behind the SE's. Guess the reduced number of e-ups for SE has had the opposite effect, making domestic upgrades more available?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Previously I would upgrade yyc-yvr flights but now I buy tango and save the credits for my monthly yvr-hkg trips.

1 month in and I'm already out of credits. I think for every 4 round trips I'll be able to upgrade 1.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Thumbs up

I'm seeing big changes. Successfully upgraded two flights so far on AC7 & AC8.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I have given up on domestic upgrades completely.
I got wait listed both YVR - HKG and NRT - YVR last month.
The later did not clear until check in (I did not get any email confirming upgrade but at check in, I was given a J BP). Both international J cabins were full.

Originally Posted by cairo604
Previously I would upgrade yyc-yvr flights but now I buy tango and save the credits for my monthly yvr-hkg trips.

1 month in and I'm already out of credits. I think for every 4 round trips I'll be able to upgrade 1.
The question is, are you going to by J when you run out like AC is predicting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.