Flight pass dilemma

Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50
Flight pass dilemma

Faced with a dilemma here:

Mrs. Chaptwo and I both bought Asia flight passes last year.

The problem we have is that Mrs. Chaptwo is expecting. And she can't fly.

We've written to revenue services, customer relations and Calin's office asking for an exception to extend the flight pass. We've communicated with the twitter team and spoken to a number of different elite line agents. I've offered to pay double the extension fee and the only thing we've received in return is a form letter outlining the fees.

Does anyone have a solution to reach a sympathetic ear ? All we'd like to do is spend more to extend it. I've extended my FP as I can fly. But as for Mrs. Chaptwo, we'd hate to see money go down the drain. She's even called the Japanese call centre to give it a shot.

Any advice besides telling me I'm SOL (which is what it feels like) would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by chaptwo
Faced with a dilemma here:

Mrs. Chaptwo and I both bought Asia flight passes last year.

The problem we have is that Mrs. Chaptwo is expecting. And she can't fly.

We've written to revenue services, customer relations and Calin's office asking for an exception to extend the flight pass. We've communicated with the twitter team and spoken to a number of different elite line agents. I've offered to pay double the extension fee and the only thing we've received in return is a form letter outlining the fees.

Does anyone have a solution to reach a sympathetic ear ? All we'd like to do is spend more to extend it. I've extended my FP as I can fly. But as for Mrs. Chaptwo, we'd hate to see money go down the drain. She's even called the Japanese call centre to give it a shot.

Any advice besides telling me I'm SOL (which is what it feels like) would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Hmm. Weird. Can't you just call in for a 3 month extension? I know you have to pay, but I thought you could extend these things?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Hmm. Weird. Can't you just call in for a 3 month extension? I know you have to pay, but I thought you could extend these things?
Mrs. Chaptwo is expecting during the 3 month extension period, so it wouldn't suffice. Thus the dilemma.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:01 pm

Perhaps booking some flights on it, showing the check-in agent a letter from the doctor barring flying (which would have them on the phone lickety-split with the medical department), and being denied travel would do the trick?

Unfortunately, sometimes the bureaucratic intransigence is so bad that AC won't act until such a matter ends up before, or is credibly threatened to find itself before the CTA.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Air Canada allows low risk pregnant women to fly up until their 36 week of pregnancy, so if Mrs. Chaptwo doesn't want to fly before 36 weeks Air Canada will not care/see a reason for the need for an extension.
If it is a high risk pregnancy or other medical issues you could look at the medical insurance of the credit card used to book the flight pass to see if the monetary loss could be recouped (with a medical note etc.).
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mountaingrl
Air Canada allows low risk pregnant women to fly up until their 36 week of pregnancy, so if Mrs. Chaptwo doesn't want to fly before 36 weeks Air Canada will not care/see a reason for the need for an extension.
If it is a high risk pregnancy or other medical issues you could look at the medical insurance of the credit card used to book the flight pass to see if the monetary loss could be recouped (with a medical note etc.).
Thank you very much for the suggestion.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:26 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I've had medical issues and written in as well to have it extended. No luck, but I wasn't expecting AC to budge, so I wasn,t surprised. I didn't expect them to make any exceptions, just figured I'd try
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
This would open up a whole set of precedence issues for AC. You buy the flight pass with the risk of knowing it must be used and AC allows for a 3 month extension. I believe you could try to pay for a name add/change for another traveler but I do not see another option here.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Wings100
I believe you could try to pay for a name add/change for another traveller but I do not see another option here.
Not clear from OP but if they each bought 6 credit 1 traveller passes, then I do not believe you can change name of the 1 traveller.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by canolakid
Not clear from OP but if they each bought 6 credit 1 traveller passes, then I do not believe you can change name of the 1 traveller.
Same thing for the 4 credit, 6-month promotional World Traveler J passes. I suspect it's one of those, as the 1-year (+3 month) passes wouldn't be as hard to schedule around a (non-high-risk) pregnancy.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
If it is a 2person pass, the other person (presumably the op) has the option of using the remaining credits.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:11 am
alc

In case you end up can't get an extension that work for you, here are some suggestions following that conclusion:

- do a weekend get away to somewhere using the pass now (assuming she still can travel now), so at least you get the AQM, not a total loss.
- contact Customer Relation after the Flight Pass is expire, and ask if they can consider some goodwill miles (non AQM). I got 10K for my wife when she was expecting while we already plan and purchase the flights (YYZ-HKG rt)

Good luck
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:33 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by chaptwo
We've written to revenue services, customer relations and Calin's office asking for an exception to extend the flight pass.......Does anyone have a solution to reach a sympathetic ear ?
If you write to the CEO and the answer is no then you really have no chance of finding a sympathetic ear from a lower level employee. The highest ranking employee told you no. Use the pass or lose it.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by ABG
If you write to the CEO and the answer is no then you really have no chance of finding a sympathetic ear from a lower level employee. The highest ranking employee told you no. Use the pass or lose it.
Funny, eh, he is a male. At AC it seems most policies are made by males and males do not get pregnant so...

I will mention that LAN, as official policy, extends your FF status for pregnancy/maternity. Question: Does AC?

Such simple things AC seems incapable of comprehending.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by ABG
I'm inclined to agree with this. If you had started at the bottom and worked your way up you might have found someone who was willing to do something! But now that the CEO's office has said no it will be very hard to find an employee willing to go against that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.