Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

My AC-VIA Rail Protection Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My AC-VIA Rail Protection Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by sokolov
You may be better off going to the next stop on Truro, but then I don't know if you can board there with your AC boarding pass.
Truro is a regular stop for The Ocean, so you should be able to board there. Some stops are what are called flag stops, where they only stop to pick up or drop off passengers on advance notice. I think it's 24 hours notice, but it depends on which train/route it is.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by karlpenney
I don't think a FIM is required. When my son's YGK-YYZ flight was cancelled a couple weeks ago he simply traded his AC BP for a VIA ticket at the train station. I will try to check with VIA to see if there are any restrictions.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...q9BLZBsI7T3dbW

if there are segments that follow the disrupted segment, i think that it would be wise to call AC to prevent cancellation of ticket because one took the train instead.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aznfreak007

if there are segments that follow the disrupted segment, i think that it would be wise to call AC to prevent cancellation of ticket because one took the train instead.
AC does not auto-cancel when you no-show if you're checked in. That could change with Amadeus running DCS, but that's not the case yet.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Truro is a regular stop for The Ocean, so you should be able to board there.
The question is not if you can board there but if you can board there with your AC boarding pass. Truro is not XDG.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
The question is not if you can board there but if you can board there with your AC boarding pass. Truro is not XDG.
from the document below, it should be a yes provided that one travels on a matching route with a FIM (AC or non AC issued ticket) or a boarding pass from a AC issued ticket

Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC does not auto-cancel when you no-show if you're checked in. That could change with Amadeus running DCS, but that's not the case yet.
My return is on the same ticket as the outbound. If I'm checked in for the YYZ-YGK segment, but don't fly it, can I still keep the return? An agent said to just let them know and they would set the coupon status to something, but I didn't catch the term she used.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: *$ Green
FRFT (forfeit).
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Do you need a FIM?

I had an actual train ticket handed to me by the concierge, but I was doing YYZ-YGK-YYZ on the same day and the latter was the cancelled flight. But I was pretty sure you could just trade your boarding pass. If my flight is cancelled, I'm not driving to the airport to get a FIM, then driving to the train station. I'm just going to the train station.
I don't think a FIM is required. When my son's YGK-YYZ flight was cancelled a couple weeks ago he simply traded his AC BP for a VIA ticket at the train station. I will try to check with VIA to see if there are any restrictions.
Do you need a FIM?

I had an actual train ticket handed to me by the concierge, but I was doing YYZ-YGK-YYZ on the same day and the latter was the cancelled flight. But I was pretty sure you could just trade your boarding pass. If my flight is cancelled, I'm not driving to the airport to get a FIM, then driving to the train station. I'm just going to the train station.

To be honest, I think you do. But I can see how a VIA agent will not tell a passenger to return to Pearson to get a paper FIM when there's a snow storm outside...

Plus I think now they may just check the flight status online.

Now, what I want to see is someone repro their YULYVR on VIA rail 🤣
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
To be honest, I think you do. But I can see how a VIA agent will not tell a passenger to return to Pearson to get a paper FIM when there's a snow storm outside...

Plus I think now they may just check the flight status online.

Now, what I want to see is someone repro their YULYVR on VIA rail 🤣
that someone would smell awfully bad and tired when he arrives at the destination after spending over 5 days on a economy seat without access to shower.
SparseFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Now, what I want to see is someone repro their YULYVR on VIA rail ��
Does the reprotection agreement honour class? I.E. if I have a J ticket for YYZ-YVR, will an AC boarding pass translate to sleeper class on The Canadian?

Or is the agreement only valid in the Eastern triangle?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My return is on the same ticket as the outbound. If I'm checked in for the YYZ-YGK segment, but don't fly it, can I still keep the return? An agent said to just let them know and they would set the coupon status to something, but I didn't catch the term she used.
Pre-Amadeus, I would have said "you're fine". But I don't know how AC has Amadeus configured to work, and several days (I assume you're not doing an immediate turn in YGK) is long enough for the reservation system to run its own logic.

FRFT (forfeit).
You're one of the few FTers I continue to learn from. <3

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Does the reprotection agreement honour class? I.E. if I have a J ticket for YYZ-YVR, will an AC boarding pass translate to sleeper class on The Canadian?

Or is the agreement only valid in the Eastern triangle?
I know for a fact it honors class. But I don't know if it honors transcons.

I had a bit of a fight over YGK-YYZ on a business class ticket, because that segment was (obviously) in Y. I sat in Y on the train. I couldn't use my credit cards because, at the time, VIA didn't have electronic card readers. And my cards don't have the raised numbers for the imprint machine. Not that I was really happy spending cash on a 3 hour train ride that should have been a 15 minute flight.
SparseFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:10 am

Now, what I want to see is someone repro their YULYVR on VIA rail ��
The question there is if they're booked in Signature Service on a widebody (ie: AC's highest 'class' of domestic service), do they get to ride the Prestige Cabin on The Canadian (VIA's highest class of service)?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:13 am

A few months ago I booked YHZ-YYZ-YGK for Feb 29 that was to get us to YGK in the morning. With recent schedule changes there is now just one late night YYZ-YGK flight on that date. I asked an AC agent if we would be able to use our AC tickets to take VIA from Toronto to Kingston instead, but she didn't know. My son has used the VIA agreement a couple times recently due cancelled flights. I'm wondering if it can also be used for a schedule change situation like this one?
Have been through this many times, and while the answer keeps changing I believe the following is true and confirmed with VIA agent when had to do this week.

1). you need the itinerary printed out AND the BP , whatever AC says (they always say BP but VIA says not true).
2) AC can in fact book the train for you and give you a ticket or at least the locator., Only concierges have ever done that for me.
3) They can also give you a FIM, but again only concierges ever do.
4) the flight has to be cancelled according to AC to be able to do, and they will not give you a FIM or ticket if not actually cancelled. Having said that concierges have helped when very delayed for example and have managed to get a ticket from VIA with BP and itinerary even when not actually cancelled.
5) Via have always said #1 - but AC story changes every time have to invoke. 6) if you want to do, have to get a physical ticket from VIA agent at station unless a concierge books a revenue for you and prints out paper ticket for you.

So, if you are cancelled at mid nite and want the 6.40 am train, you have to be queuing in whats a long queue by 5.55 am to actually use this.

Otherwise, do what I now do which is book the train ticket and claim the refund cost from AC of the cancelled segment if, when you get to train station, no time or personnel to exchange for a 'free' ticket.

Finally, AC have never credited me with the segment or AP miles despite having asked numerous times, though its clear they should.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: AC E35 / Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
The linked AC.com page no longer mentions VIA Rail. Anyone have any recent experience?

I am also curious if the agreement works in reverse? What if your train is cancelled? The rail line from YOW and YUL to YTO is currently blocked near Belleville by protests and VIA is cancelling trains as a result.
--
13F
Don't think so, seems like a one-way agreement. VIA has not offered any reprotection thus far onto other transportation. They have just been cancelling and refunding people.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:09 am

VIA used to charter private buses or operate on a reciprocal basis w the motor coach carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.