Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

My AC-VIA Rail Protection Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My AC-VIA Rail Protection Experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by drvannostren
This is interesting, didn't know it existed either. It's probably not gonna help many people but it's a great way for AC to be able to calm things down after a cancellation or two. I would've loved if we could've gotten our employees from YQY/YHZ to YQM via train perhaps, not sure if it exists though.

Also, this is useless for those of us out west I'd think.
But it doesn't indicate anything about just Ontario/QC...
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
This is interesting, didn't know it existed either. It's probably not gonna help many people but it's a great way for AC to be able to calm things down after a cancellation or two. I would've loved if we could've gotten our employees from YQY/YHZ to YQM via train perhaps, not sure if it exists though.

Also, this is useless for those of us out west I'd think.
Via discontinued it's service East of Turo quite a while back (2004ish). As well as the company that owns the line from Turo East has just received permission to decommission the line to Sydney. So sadly won't ever be an option
Old Apr 4, 2015, 12:32 pm
Suspended

The only time I tried to use it a couple of years ago, VIA was 100 Percent booked for at least 36 hrs. So I rented a car which wasn't covered by AC but the cc covered the expense.

Last edited by FlyerTalker683455; Apr 4, 2015 at 1:51 pm
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
But it doesn't indicate anything about just Ontario/QC...
I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to use VIA if your YVR-YKA QK trip gets cancelled. But good luck actually finding a train -- they only run twice a week in the winter, and three times a week in summer!

The Corridor is probably only where it would actually make any sense whatsoever.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Thank you OP for sharing your experience. ^

I knew the AC-VIA Rail service/agreement existed but I did not know it was that easy. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Last edited by DNAwizard; Apr 4, 2015 at 4:12 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 4, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Very interesting, did not know this existed. Thanks SAP!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by AC681
Via discontinued it's service East of Turo quite a while back (2004ish). As well as the company that owns the line from Turo East has just received permission to decommission the line to Sydney. So sadly won't ever be an option
Via never discontinued its Ocean service east of Truro. You can still book a sleeper from Montreal through to Halifax. Unfortunately a few years ago the Ocean was cut back from six days a week to its current three days a week. As for Sydney, there hasn't been a passenger train to that city for many years.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Nice option, thanks for sharing. No AP segments/miles on VIA, correct?

FYI, MP does provide mileage credit ZFV-EWR.

Speaking of UA, all 3 of their SYR-ORD flights yesterday operated on time/early i.e. another option is to drive 2 hours south. Lots more cnx. to LAS. Double bonus - no ROUGE!

Last edited by Antonio8069; Apr 5, 2015 at 7:33 am Reason: addition
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Antonio8069

Speaking of UA, all 3 of their SYR-ORD flights yesterday operated on time/early i.e. another option is to drive 2 hours south. Lots more cnx. to LAS. Double bonus - no ROUGE!
If you're reaccommodated for irrops on a non *A carrier, you should get original routing credit.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by pitz
Any idea if the opposite exists, ie: a long-haul VIA trip is cancelled (say, Edmonton to Prince Rupert -- a trip that I hold a reservation on for the summer) -- can a VIA ticket be taken to AC for the trip? Or even more recently, with the Toronto-Winnipeg trains being cancelled -- can those tickets be taken to AC for a flight?

The online literature makes most of its references to taking the train if the plane is unavailable, but what if it is the train that is unavailable? I haven't been able to find any details of the "agreement" that works in reverse.
highly doubt so, because VIA's agreement are typically with motorcoach companies (i.e. as individual tickets - if there is existing scheduled service or bus charter)
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069

UA has a codeshare arrangement with Amtrak on the NEC. Only if the trip was provided with a UA flight code, you would get MP credit. If its just Amtrak ticket on its own, MP mile would not be credited. Think this rule changed approx 2 years ago.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: VIA Rail - Premier, Fairmont, Cunard - Diamond, AC - Mere mortal
There may be a loose agreement with Air Canada helping out stranded VIA passengers. A few years ago a work colleague had a VIA ticket Toronto to Ottawa when there was a blockage of the rail line. When she phoned AC she was told to go to the airport with her rail ticket. The check-in agent told her that VIA had been very helpful to Air Canada in the past and they were happy to reciprocate.

I doubt there is anything official now. When VIA has had problems with derailments or other blockages passengers have been put on buses. The portion of theCanadian between Toronto and Winnipeg has been suspended for a month even though the derailment was cleared and a new bridge installed a while back. There has been no assistance to passengers who have been given full or partial refunds and left on their own. Given how expensive some sleeping car fares are, it is probably cheaper for passengers to take the refund and buy their own air ticket to or from Winnipeg.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Does anyone have more details on this? This could have saved my hiney a few weeks ago!
Also, if you google up "air canada irrop pdf" without quotes, the 2nd and 3rd search results have the irrop policy in convenient PDF format

VIA RAIL
Without prior notice from Air Canada, VIA Rail will accept Air Canada’s tickets issued for travel on
matching routes, as long as passengers have an Air Canada Flight Interruption Manifest (FIM) or
Air Canada ticket.
Looks like an AC ticket is enough (though I wouldn't feel safe doing the via rail thing without a FIM)
Old Apr 5, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by David,Mississauga
There may be a loose agreement with Air Canada helping out stranded VIA passengers. A few years ago a work colleague had a VIA ticket Toronto to Ottawa when there was a blockage of the rail line. When she phoned AC she was told to go to the airport with her rail ticket. The check-in agent told her that VIA had been very helpful to Air Canada in the past and they were happy to reciprocate.

I doubt there is anything official now. When VIA has had problems with derailments or other blockages passengers have been put on buses. The portion of theCanadian between Toronto and Winnipeg has been suspended for a month even though the derailment was cleared and a new bridge installed a while back. There has been no assistance to passengers who have been given full or partial refunds and left on their own. Given how expensive some sleeping car fares are, it is probably cheaper for passengers to take the refund and buy their own air ticket to or from Winnipeg.
interesting to know if VIA/AC has reciprocal agreement the other way round. i only know they use buses primarily and have a list of local contacts they can use to arrange bridging transportation.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
So can I take VIA Rail from YVR to YUL if my flight gets canceled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.