Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC flight 624 from Yyz crash landed at YHZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC flight 624 from Yyz crash landed at YHZ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ridefar
Anybody making such a claim surely either wears a crash helmet and nomex suit everytime they get in a car, or just doesn't have the first clue of what they are talking about. There is no middle ground.
No disagreement. I learned today i'm going to die (from a plane versus a weather event) and now I learned what a nomex suit is by putting that in my favorite search engine. Oh dear.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
So for all intents and purposes, i'm genuinely curious if you think that if the situation was reversed and AC slammed a plane into somewhere and killed everyone if CR or BS should have been the reps in the incident?*

* = again, genuinely curious, that's all.
I think they probably would have been involved at least for a press release, yes. Even if 1 person died in this instance I'd bet on them being involved.

Originally Posted by Stranger
You seriously believe AC will make it go away by providing less information?

Wishful thinking, i am afraid.
That's not what I said. I said if LH thought they could make it go away, they would have released less info. So I'm saying AC thinks they can reduce publicity with less information. Many still think it was a hard landing/excursion off the runway etc. So obviously it is working.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:34 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV%20S...ID/2661755785/

'It's not heroism, it's being a human being,' rescuer says

Catherine Ouellet says thank you to Steve Earle, who carried her 80-year-old aunt away from the wreckage of Air Canada Flight 624 after it crashed in Halifax
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
So, long pants and closed shoes. Isn't that exactly what I've been saying this whole time?

I was. In fact, these are the only people I have criticized in this thread.
Uhhh, not quite.

Originally Posted by tracon
The media gets it's information from a bunch instant gratification obsessed passengers who weren't smart enough to dress for the conditions.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24592550-post428.html (#428)

I'll step to the defense of tracon here, not that he needs my assistance. KenHamer and nihonto have taken a sensible comment and extended it far past the point of reason with talk of winter parkas and heavy jackets left on board. There are multiple media reports quoting passengers complaining that they huddled shivering for an hour, dressed in shorts and t-shirts following Mexican vacations, on a windswept snowy runway following an airplane accident."
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24592844-post435.html (#435)

And just so there are no complaints about "context", here's the entire post you claimed to be defending:
Originally Posted by tracon
That's the impression [that things didn't go smoothly at YHZ] the media is designed to leave. The media gets it's information from a bunch instant gratification obsessed passengers who weren't smart enough to dress for the conditions.
A spokesperson from the YHZAA was on the National this evening. He spoke of the difficuly in getting vehicles through powered gates during a power outage.
I suspect the worse case scenario was 50 minutes. The first bus was probably there at just over 30 minutes. Time will tell.
You defend it, you wear it.

Sadly, many people have gone all frothy, taking this position to the extreme by suggesting parkas and others have felt it's ok to insult fellow board members by stating we might be unaware, for example, that planes travel far and fast over many climates in short periods of time. I wonder if they'd do the same if we were all sitting in the same room together?
So how is the above materially different from this post:
Look at your boarding pass. It's the 3"x6" piece of paper you printed off at the check in kiosk or maybe it's on your smartphone. Anyway, listed on it are the names of two cities. The first one (helpfully labeled 'from/de') will be the place your plane departs. The second (confusingly termed 'destination') will be the place it's expected to land.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24597404-post572.html (#572)

But to answer your question, yes, even if we were sitting in the same room together I would do the same. (Just ask anyone I work with, including VPs and the CEO.) In any case you may notice that I post under my real name.

Now let me ask you a question...

If you were standing on that runway on Sunday evening would you turn to those who had just "deplaned" and tell them that they were "a bunch instant gratification obsessed passengers who weren't smart enough to dress for the conditions"?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
That's because the 2 aren't really comparable, LH has no out. One one hand we have a 320 which was written off in poor weather, for yet unknown reasons, sending 25 to hospital for <24hrs and all surviving. On the other hand, there's a 320 which crashed into a mountain killing all 150 and making global headlines for the FO murdering those on board.

I'm sure if LH thought they could make it go away by providing less information, they would do so too.
I believe they are comparable in respect to crisis management strategies. LH was on the ball from the start. It put it's best foot forward, with no denials, no attempts to mislead, and made sure to put the right people in the public facing position. Yes, the situation facing LH was significantly more critical, however, I remind you that in the early hours LH was not aware of the FO's role. All it knew was that it had a crash with or without survivors. The focus was on crisis management and deploying resources to respond. In simple terms, the CEO and COO owned the crisis and it was evident they were in charge. It has been a brilliant response.
In the same league as LH was the BA response following its B777 events. If you recall, the BA pax were thanking the BA crew, and heaping praise on the pilots. The BA crews were very much a part of the effort in reassuring the general public that BA was a safe airline and that its employees were consummate professionals. I don't think BA pax are that much different than AC pax.

Now, I ask you, where are the senior AC executives? Aside from the one dismal press briefing appearance by the AC COO, where is everybody? Why hasn't Calin "I never met a microphone or fluff interview opportunity I didn't use to champion my accomplishments" made an appearance? Is it so difficult for Calin to emulate the CEO of Delta, or BA, or LH and show his face or make a statement on behalf of all AC personnel? What kind of company runs and hides? Is it because they believe that there were errors and that the best strategy for them is to say nothing?

There is a reason why the class action litigation is already underway. The pax comments were overwhelmingly negative. I reference the DL incident at LGA, where the negative pax comments were restrained and limited. When pax are angry after an event it is with good reason and when their concerns are ignored, when an official apology isn't even provided, it just exacerbates the situation.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:43 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Dorian
Maybe you can help me out? How should I dress on my once a month polar routes? I want to get this right.
Look at your boarding pass. It's the 3"x6" piece of paper you printed off at the check in kiosk or maybe it's on your smartphone. Anyway, listed on it are the names of two cities. The first one (helpfully labeled 'from/de') will be the place your plane departs. The second (confusingly termed 'destination') will be the place it's expected to land.
So if I was flying to from Vancouver to Cancun via Toronto wearing "beach attire" (you know, dressed for my destination), and the plane made a "hard landing" in Toronto in the middle of a snow storm, I'd be off the hook, right?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Now, I ask you, where are the senior AC executives? Aside from the one dismal press briefing appearance by the AC COO, where is everybody? Why hasn't Calin "I never met a microphone or fluff interview opportunity I didn't use to champion my accomplishments" made an appearance? Is it so difficult for Calin to emulate the CEO of Delta, or BA, or LH and show his face or make a statement on behalf of all AC personnel? What kind of company runs and hides? Is it because they believe that there were errors and that the best strategy for them is to say nothing?
I find it interesting that a FTer mentioned that perhaps it's best to say nothing as a strategy to mitigate legal risk, yet you bring up the fact that its perhaps a senior AC exec (CR, BS etc) DIDNT say anything that its now a lawsuit. Interesting perspective.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Over 50% of passengers involved in plane crashes survive. Wearing shoes during critical phases of flight is a sensible measure, as multiple previous incidents demonstrate. It should be included in the AC safety demonstration, as it is likely to be of more practical use in an emergency than some of the other advice given.

See here:
Ed Galea, professor in mathematical modelling at the University of Greenwich in London, has compiled interviews with more than 1,000 survivors of 105 accidents. He outlines the steps you can take to improve your chances of survival.

Keep your shoes on until the aircraft has reached cruising altitude and before the plane starts to come in to land. If you have to get off the aircraft quickly, there may be debris in the cabin and outside, and you'll need your shoes.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 1, 2015 at 11:27 am Reason: remove deleted quote
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:28 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I do always try to put my shoes on before landing, the thought of having to run around in my socks in an emergency doesn't sound appealing. However I definitely would want to get my briefcase off the flight with me...
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I do always try to put my shoes on before landing, the thought of having to run around in my socks in an emergency doesn't sound appealing. However I definitely would want to get my briefcase off the flight with me...
Smart move on the shoes. Not so much on the briefcase.

In an emergency situation, don't expect people to patiently wait behind you while you retrieve your precious brief case. You may be willing to delay your evacuation in a life threatening situation for whatever is in your case but don't expect it of others.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:48 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I can't believe the length that some people here go to defend AC. The word astroturfing comes to mind. I could agree that comparing the (brilliant and compassionate) response by LH to this incident is disingenuous. But if you compare it to the BA response after BA38, which is comparable in my opinion (no fatalities, short landing), you can see how dismal the AC public performance has been. Not surprised in the least, completely inline with the culture of arrogance that permeates the management of this company.

Let me reiterate for the nth time I am not talking about the crews, this one did a fantastic job getting everyone off the plane.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
If found to pilots' error (failure to follow procedures/ignore warnings) could they be charged with criminal negligence? Odd how RCMP is sniffing around this crash site?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I find it interesting that a FTer mentioned that perhaps it's best to say nothing as a strategy to mitigate legal risk, yet you bring up the fact that its perhaps a senior AC exec (CR, BS etc) DIDNT say anything that its now a lawsuit. Interesting perspective.
Clever legal tactics can win litigation.

Smart (honest and compassionate) communication can prevent litigation.

The choice belongs to the C suite.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Removal process began last night

Pretty good picture of the removal process taken last night by a YHZ based employee.

http://instagram.com/p/07XRHSPSER/
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by KenHamer
So if I was flying to from Vancouver to Cancun via Toronto wearing "beach attire" (you know, dressed for my destination), and the plane made a "hard landing" in Toronto in the middle of a snow storm, I'd be off the hook, right?
Well no--being properly prepared means wearing beach attire under your parka and snow boots and then ripping those winter elements off after a successful takeoff in Toronto

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.