Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC flight 624 from Yyz crash landed at YHZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC flight 624 from Yyz crash landed at YHZ

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
The final TSB report for the Halifax crash/hard landing has been released.... interesting read.

Halifax TSB report
That page says "Date modified:2017-05-18".

Is this different than the big report that was released a few months ago, and discussed here?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Which only goes to show you. If only the investigation group were to read FT. Not only would they save money, but they would actually come to the correct conclusions.

Would collision and crash not be synonyms in normal english?
Yes, but so would avoidance and evasion, which mean very different things when it comes to taxation.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:51 pm

Would collision and crash not be synonyms in normal english?
It's not so much "collision" vs. "crash", it's "collision with terrain" vs. "crash".

"Collision with XYZ" is just the standard phrasing used in accident investigations, and it's more descriptive than "crash". e.g., "Collision with terrain", "mid-air collision", "collision with approach lighting", "runway collision [with another aircraft]".

And "crash", colloquially, will encompass things like "mid-air breakup", which has many causes other than collision with anything.

I don't see it as pedantic, I just see it as more specific
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...7Erk3Mk2zyr9Kk

Passengers win court challenge in lawsuit over 2015 Air Canada crash

tshirt likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Interesting read.

QUOTE:

"The Canadian Transportation Accident Investigation and Safety Board Act states that “every on-board recording is privileged” but a Nova Scotia Supreme Court judge directed the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) to release the recordings as well as any transcripts.

However, TSB spokesperson Chris Krepski told Skies Jan. 3 that it not only wants the ruling by Justice Patrick Duncan stayed but also would be appealing. The filing was confirmed by Kate Boyle, a member of the class actions group within the Halifax-based law firm Wagners."

Full article https://www.skiesmag.com/news/battle...flight-ac-624/
tcook052 and james dean like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:55 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
This video was recently posted and gives a decent overview of the factors at play that caused the hard landing:

Bohemian1, wrp96 and supervillian like this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Good video, thanks for the link. But with all due respect, I think clipping some hydro lines, ripping the landing gear clean off the plane by wrapping them around the ILC array, then careening over an embankment and skidding to a halt on the runway with the port engine bouncing along behind is just a bit more than a "hard landing."
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by marke190
This video was recently posted and gives a decent overview of the factors at play that caused the hard landing
I'm surprised this hasn't ended up as an episode of Mayday yet.

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Good video, thanks for the link. But with all due respect, I think clipping some hydro lines, ripping the landing gear clean off the plane by wrapping them around the ILC array, then careening over an embankment and skidding to a halt on the runway with the port engine bouncing along behind is just a bit more than a "hard landing."
Surely the terminology has been debated ad nauseum already...
marke190 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
That video is well done. Picked up on a couple of things.

1. AC's SOP Manual not following the manufacturers, why?
2. Is the the only AC type AC operates where they do not follow the procedures and recommendations of the manufacturer?
3. Confirmation bias. Been there done that and found myself in US airspace because of it. The Human Factors part of flying is fascinating and (can) lead to a world of trouble. HF can be broken into so many sub-parts.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by taupo
That video is well done. Picked up on a couple of things.

1. AC's SOP Manual not following the manufacturers, why?
This is an interesting paragraph in the accident final report (bolding mine):

In accordance with CARs 705.09 and TC’s Air Carrier Inspector Manual, 74 TC reviewed and approved both Air Canada’s AOM and SOPs. During this process, TC did not identify the discrepancy between the Air Canada documents and the Airbus documents.

The first item noted in the ‘Findings’ section of the accident report:

1. Air Canada’s standard operating procedure (SOP) and practice when flying in flight path angle guidance mode was that, once the aircraft was past the final approach fix, the flight crews were not required to monitor the aircraft’s altitude and distance from the threshold or to make any adjustments to the flight path angle. This practice was not in accordance with the flight crew operating manuals of Air Canada or Airbus.

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-r...2/a15h0002.pdf
Old Mar 17, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm surprised this hasn't ended up as an episode of Mayday yet.
It will most certainly end up as a Mayday episode eventually. The episode for Cougar Flight 491 only came out last February, and that crash occurred off NL in March 2009.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by codfather
It will most certainly end up as a Mayday episode eventually. The episode for Cougar Flight 491 only came out last February, and that crash occurred off NL in March 2009.
I'm not sure how that's relevant. AC624 was six years ago. The final TSB report came out in 2017. They did an episode on the Brazilian soccer team crash 2.5 years after it happened. That crash occurred in November 2016, well after AC624. They did one on MH370 less than a year after the incident. So there doesn't appear to be any reason why they couldn't have done one on AC624.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm not sure how that's relevant. AC624 was six years ago. The final TSB report came out in 2017. They did an episode on the Brazilian soccer team crash 2.5 years after it happened. That crash occurred in November 2016, well after AC624. They did one on MH370 less than a year after the incident. So there doesn't appear to be any reason why they couldn't have done one on AC624.
Certainly, but just because they haven't done one yet does not mean that they won't do one altogether.

My information on the Cougar Mayday episode was simply a data point for the thread.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ings-1.6210931

Canada's highest court has agreed to hear an appeal in the case of an Air Canada jet that crashed at Halifax's Stanfield International Airport in March 2015.

More than two dozen people were injured when Air Canada flight 624 crashed at the airport in the midst of a snowstorm.

Some of the passengers have launched a class-action lawsuit against several parties, including the airline, Air Canada; the two pilots flying the Airbus 320 that night; its manufacturer, Airbus; the Halifax International Airport Authority; and Nav Canada, the corporation that operates Canada's civil air navigation system.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
DrunkCargo just sent me an interesting video that I'm about 7 minutes into:
vancouver25k, D582 and StuMcIlwain like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.