Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC flight 624 from Yyz crash landed at YHZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC flight 624 from Yyz crash landed at YHZ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I think the threshold is a) whether there's a catastrophic loss of life ad if not that B) how close the incident is to a major media market. The Delta runway mishap a few weeks back got a lot more media than such events usually do because it happened at LGA instead of in a smaller tv market.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
After reading through (most) of the thread...

Has it been mentioned anywhere if door 1R (or R1 depending on where you're from) was even opened during the evac? Or because there was no FA did it just stay shut and unused?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Hull losses for major airlines aren't that common though.
The losses for 2014 blew the roof on that trend and the bad results are continuing into 2105. True, most of the losses result from non hull write-offs, but the hull losses are increasing.Losses paid in total for 2014 were 10X the premiums collected.

Over the past 2 years the aviation insurance market was in free fall with rates decreasing. I would expect premiums to go up and that we will be contributing to these costs by way of fare increases, albeit in negligible amounts. Funny though, we didn't get the benefit when the premiums were being reduced 5-15% per annum over the past few years.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
threepoint

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer

The emergency response times are now being criticized with, wait for it, the issue of staffing at Canada's airports being raised. Was I a clairvoyant? Nope. Just well aware of how things develop.
If you're indeed well aware of how things develop, it will strike you as very familiar, the finger pointing following an incident, but before real facts emerge. I'm sure there are plenty of union spokespeople enthusiastically proclaiming 'I told you so', aiming to influence public and/or regulatory opinion towards their agenda: bloating the industry with lots of dues-paying staff.

Everybody agrees that Capt. Sullenberger and FO Stiles did a masterful job ditching their 320 into the Hudson. Less palatable was his follow up tour bemoaning decreasing pilot pension plans and tying that to successful outcomes of future incidents.

Of course this accident will be dissected by those wishing to advance their goals.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Mar 29, 2015 at 8:29 pm Reason: CZAMFlyer
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by PLeblond
So if I understand, the Airport needed to find buses... in a snow storm... at midnight.... on a weekend.

Sure. That should be super easy to procure. And get to the airport.... 30+ km from downtown.

Unless y'all think they should have 4 or 5 of them sitting around at all times. Just in case.
The alternative to not having emergency vehicles sitting around at all times is having to find buses... in a snowstorm...at midnight... on a weekend... and get them to the airport... 30+ km from downtown.

Why bother having an emergency plan if it takes an hour to implement in case of emergency? (Maybe 4 or 5 is too many, but surely one based there, even if it is to be used for other purposes...)

The airport authority got lucky. Let's hope they learn from this.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Good to see at least people are okay.

Just a bad year for A320s.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by SamuelS
After reading through (most) of the thread...

Has it been mentioned anywhere if door 1R (or R1 depending on where you're from) was even opened during the evac? Or because there was no FA did it just stay shut and unused?
There were only 3 FAs on this flt. So R1 would've been unmanned.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by keloutwest
I have to say that the lack of media attention this has gotten, particularly after looking at the pretty outrageous photos of this crash, is remarkable. This "hard landing" didn't even make it onto NYTimes.com, it's a sub story on CNN, and it's now off BBC.com (was on bbc.co.uk earlier).
Was on CNN Int'l in Rwanda...pretty regular rotation for a day.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by keloutwest
I have to say that the lack of media attention this has gotten, particularly after looking at the pretty outrageous photos of this crash, is remarkable. This "hard landing" didn't even make it onto NYTimes.com, it's a sub story on CNN, and it's now off BBC.com (was on bbc.co.uk earlier).

keloutwest
There are a variety of answers to the lack of media attention.
You can pick one, best 2 out of 3 or all of the above kind of thing.

IMHO - and based on my experience:
1. Yes, TSB and pax photos were pretty dramatic
2. As Penguin pointed out, no one died.
3. As Cow said, hull loses for major airlines aren't that common
4. I would not expect the NYTimes to consider this news that meets their agenda of what they feel their readers need to be told. But that's another conversation
5. CNN lives in the world of he 24hour news cycle. It is an exhausting endeavor. All those eyeballs that need feeding. What to do when there isn't a last-minute war to fill the airtime, or some crisis about gluten or some actor in rehab.
6. The BBC UK did have coverage last night, but they also have to keep the news moving.
7. Social media has come to replace some mainstream orgs simply because they are fast, even if not always accurate. Last night for quite a while, photos and comments were posted here on FT and as well on Twitter and Facebook pages of people from Halifax and area, some of who had family on the plane. I was reading one in particular that had media from around the word asking permission to use this person's photos. Yet, the main websites of these same media outlets had nothing posted.

These are not necessarily all the answers. And they may not even be the answers. They are just my professional and personal opinions of why it wasn't as big a story as the photos would let on.

Apologies to all for the long answer.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Okay. Accidents where landing gear and engines are detached from the aircraft are not that common.

This isn't a "we encountered wake turbulence" incident.
Similar to the hard landing by Asiana at SFO. Both came up short and ended up entering the runway (not exiting as everyone seems to say). AC is just lucky it had a nice slippery embankment to climb as opposed to a breakwater.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dorian
Similar to the hard landing by Asiana at SFO. Both came up short and ended up entering the runway (not exiting as everyone seems to say). AC is just lucky it had a nice slippery embankment to climb as opposed to a breakwater.
Yes and no.

The Asiana event was on a wonderfully clear day, during day time, ideal conditions for a manual landing. In the AC event, during a snowstorm, at night, after circling for 30 minutes.

In the former case, totally inexcusable, they had all the elements to know where they were, just incompetence and likely poor training because company policy might not have let them practice manual landing.

In the AC case, who knows until the investigation is complete.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Stranger
Originally Posted by Dorian
Yes and no.

The Asiana event was on a wonderfully clear day, during day time, ideal conditions for a manual landing. In the AC event, during a snowstorm, at night, after circling for 30 minutes.

In the latter case, totally inexcusable, they had all the elements to know where they were, just incompetence and likely poor training because company policy might not have let them practice manual landing.

In the AC case, who knows until the investigation is complete.
You've mixed up former and latter
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pewpew

You've mixed up former and latter
Too much wine (actually just over a bottle, wife and I).

Fixed. Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by wirez666
There were only 3 FAs on this flt. So R1 would've been unmanned.
I'll be curious to read the Investigation Report findings on the cabin evacuation during this incident.

If the R1 door was not opened, and not blocked etc, this would be a pretty big eye opener for future review of evacuation practices. Having a serviceable floor level exit door unused in an emergency evacuation will doubtless bring new focus onto procedures currently in place subsequent to the downgrade from 4 crew to 3 crew minimums on most 737/A320 aircraft.

From the photos at least, it appears the door was never even cracked.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:37 pm

Educate me

Don't modern ILS systems control elevation on descent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.