Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
More importantly, mileage is going to be really tight, so you may not have much flexibility on what flights you pick. MPM for YYZ-TPE is 10544, YYZ-BRU-TPE is 9712 without taking into consideration connecting flights
That's a great point. Provided availability for the YYZ-BRU flight pops back up, @yscleo can route through IST on TK and the overall YYZ-BRU-IST-TPE mileage would be 10347. If he was "forced" into paying scam charges either into or out of BRU, he could also take the YUL-BRU AC flight and YYZ-YUL-BRU-IST-TPE would stay within the MPM.
yscleo likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
To know YQ, you need to be looking at the entire itinerary, not just what the YQ is for YYZ-BRU.

More importantly, mileage is going to be really tight, so you may not have much flexibility on what flights you pick. MPM for YYZ-TPE is 10544, YYZ-BRU-TPE is 9712 without taking into consideration connecting flights
Ah, thanks. I didn't know the mpm will be looked at for each part. I thought it'd be 10544 x 2. I was thinking
YYZ-LHR-BRU (or thru YUL), both high YQ but not much other choice
BRU-IST-SIN-TPE (on TK and SG, with layover hours to see a bit of IST and SIN)
TPE-ICN-NRT (long layover to see a bit of Seoul)
NRT-EWR-YYZ (HND-YYZ has higher YQ)

The miles for those individual segments add up to 21279.
What tools can help me to figure out the YQ, and mpm, other than calling ae?

Last edited by yscleo; Apr 3, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by yscleo
Ah, thanks. I didn't know the mpm will be looked at for each part. I thought it'd be 10544 x 2. I was thinking
YYZ-LHR-BRU (or thru YUL), both high YQ but not much other choice
BRU-IST-SIN-TPE (on TK and SG, with layover hours to see a bit of IST and SIN)
TPE-ICN-TPE (long layover to see a bit of Seoul)
TPE-EWR-YYZ (HND-YYZ has higher YQ)

The miles for those individual segments add up to 21279.
What tools can help me to figure out the YQ, and mpm, other than calling ae?
The MPM is to and from TPE individually. So, your routing between YYZ-TPE can't be more than 10544, and the same for TPE-YYZ.

There are a few issues with your proposed itinerary.

1)YYZ-LHR-BRU-IST-SIN-TPE is way too long, coming in at 12507
2) I don't think you'll be able to transit TPE again on the way back.

There is a whole thread on MPM here: Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM)
You can use www.gcmap.com to calculate mileage of your itinerary. It's not exact, but it's gives you a good idea of where you're standing with mileage.
yscleo and ffsim like this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:36 pm

The MPM is to and from TPE individually. So, your routing between YYZ-TPE can't be more than 10544, and the same for TPE-YYZ.

There are a few issues with your proposed itinerary.

1)YYZ-LHR-BRU-IST-SIN-TPE is way too long, coming in at 12507
2) I don't think you'll be able to transit TPE again on the way back.

There is a whole thread on MPM here: Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM)
You can use Great Circle Mapper to calculate mileage of your itinerary. It's not exact, but it's gives you a good idea of where you're standing with mileage.
Sorry, I meant NRT, rather than going to TPE again. Fixed the post.

So I cannot add up the milage of the whole thing (21279), to compare YYZ-BRU-IST-TPE of 10554 + YYZ-TPE 10347 = 20901?
21279 compared to that sum of 20901 is 1.8% over.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:39 pm

So I cannot add up the milage of the whole thing (21279), to compare YYZ-BRU-IST-TPE of 10554 + YYZ-TPE 10347 = 20901?
No. Mileage is calculated for the inbound and outbound separately. You cannot total it.

You have 10544 miles to get to TPE, and another 10544 to get home.
yscleo likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:48 pm

YYZ to TPE as destination is too restrictive in doing a mini-RTW crossing through Europe. If you can consider using SIN as a stopover (and thus your destination), then your MPM will be much higher:
-YYZ-SIN mpm: 15441
-YYZ-TPE mpm: 10554

But, you would have to swap SIN for TPE or NRT, which I'm not sure you'd want to give up, right? Anyways, if you could, then the redemption would then become an Asia-2 (SIN) award at 155,000 for business seats, versus 150,000 for Asia-1 (TPE), but you get so much more 'mpm'-mileage to play with.
ChrisA330, yscleo and ffsim like this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by WKnight
Looking for 2 business seats for YYZ-WAW on LOT for XMAS season. I can find one business seat, and one in economy. If I book the economy seat under a business award (mixed-class booking) in the hopes of getting a free upgrade if/when availability presents itself, is LOT known for releasing additional business seats throughout the year? Close to travel date? Or never?

Any personal experience (or opinions) would be greatly appreciated.
Bumping my original post for visibility.

But, also wanted to say that I went ahead and booked the business award with one LO segment in economy. But for the LO segments in business, I was disappointed to see that I could not select the seats online. A quick search shows that this functionality at lot.com was 'lost' and never re-enabled, back in 2015'ish? So, I took the advice of others and used Facebook to connect with LOT, and all seat selections were done by a very prompt LOT Facebook staff, in less than 5 minutes. ^

Now, waiting for J inventory to be released by LO into Aeroplan. Anyone?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by bluemeansgo
IAD is also an option for one-stop if you don't mind flying out of Seattle.
Thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by WKnight
YYZ to TPE as destination is too restrictive in doing a mini-RTW crossing through Europe. If you can consider using SIN as a stopover (and thus your destination), then your MPM will be much higher:
-YYZ-SIN mpm: 15441
-YYZ-TPE mpm: 10554

But, you would have to swap SIN for TPE or NRT, which I'm not sure you'd want to give up, right? Anyways, if you could, then the redemption would then become an Asia-2 (SIN) award at 155,000 for business seats, versus 150,000 for Asia-1 (TPE), but you get so much more 'mpm'-mileage to play with.
Thanks for the suggestion. We do have to stop in both TPE and Tokyo. But would stopping in SIN, then open-jaw to TPE be allowed? i.e. We buy ticket for SIN-TPE?

I also looked into J award tickets using SIN. The problem is getting J seats, no SG, and other segments. We're fine to fly economy, especially because this year my son provided us with a Priority Pass select membership from his credit card, so that we have unlimited visits to lounges.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:52 am

Thanks for the suggestion. We do have to stop in both TPE and Tokyo. But would stopping in SIN, then open-jaw to TPE be allowed? i.e. We buy ticket for SIN-TPE?
You'd still need to drop BRU or TYO. If you have an open jaw, you lose a stopover.
yscleo likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:59 am

I also looked into J award tickets using SIN. The problem is getting J seats, no SG, and other segments. We're fine to fly economy, especially because this year my son provided us with a Priority Pass select membership from his credit card, so that we have unlimited visits to lounges.
My understanding is that you can do an open jaw that involves your destination (SIN) or origin, but the OJ has to stay within the same IATA zone (or something along that line) so you'd have to see if TPE is eligible with SIN as an OJ partner. But, as ChrisA330 has mentioned, there's no point for your case, because with an OJ, you would then lose a stopover such as Brussels or Tokyo, so there's no point to attempt this as it would interfere with your specific travel needs (BRU, TPE and TYO as stops).

Unlimited lounge visits is nice (you've raised your son WELL!), but you'll also want to make sure you have enough fully-flat J seats in your itinerary for the added comfort and rest from these 'gruelling' multi-layover adventures.
yscleo likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:43 pm

Is there a better way to search, the useless website is driving me nuts. First, I can't seem to search more than one day at a time, even the flexible date option do not show information for a few weeks. Second, the business award is always populated with mixed cabin flights with economy on the longhaul. Which idiot designed this piece of crap search interface?!?!?!

I've been trying multiple European cities (BRU/FRA/ZRH/etc) to Vancouver or Seattle, and I can't get any all business award flights.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:04 am

ExpertFlyer?

EXpertflyer seems to work pretty well at finding availability over a week at a time (possibly more, Im not an expert user tho). I've used it several times to find availability on scarce routes (I.e. YOW to YFB)

Safe Travels,
James
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Is there a better way to search, the useless website is driving me nuts. First, I can't seem to search more than one day at a time, even the flexible date option do not show information for a few weeks. Second, the business award is always populated with mixed cabin flights with economy on the longhaul. Which idiot designed this piece of crap search interface?!?!?!

I've been trying multiple European cities (BRU/FRA/ZRH/etc) to Vancouver or Seattle, and I can't get any all business award flights.
Try this tool mentioned in my OP - can search multiple days or Filter
AwardFinder/award.flights Chrome app @ http://award.flights

Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC 50K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Hey Guys,

First time post actually!

Looking to book the following in business for 2019 ideally:
YVR -> ATH
ATH -> DBV
DBV -> YVR

Alternatively I could do an open leg and do YVR -> ?? -> ?? -> ATH and then something easier like CDG -> EWR -> YVR on the way back? Not sure what's the best here.
Any ideas on the best routing to minimize YQ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.