Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sunwin
Hi to everyone on the forum. I have a question regarding the NA-europe redemption.

Would someone know that which of the no or low YQ carriers have PE seats that gets available to book to Europe? Looking to book for next summer on PE for 4 people. I see that AC has sale for economy for 172000 miles for all 4. Is that better deal? But taxes are close to 2000.

Thanks
You can only book PY on AC with miles.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

I'll wait for more confirmations, but blogger are reporting TG may be YQ-free now?

Which Countries Regulate Fuel Surcharges? | Prince of Travel
https://princeoftravel.com/blog/whic...uel-surcharges
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:34 pm

Multi city YVR bkk, bkk HKG, HKG YVR, using Eva for the trans Pac legs, still being hit with 100 ish in YQ for the middle leg...
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE50K, Marriott Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Hi Guys.....I know its too early but need to plan and accumulate miles accordingly. Planning to take the family to Europe for 2019 cricket world cup in June in London and will see couple of other countries as well (switzerland, brussels, london and paris). I have enough points for economy but I know its not worth the redemption. So here is the question:

Any airlines or a route that offer premium economy?

For business class redemptions I was checking the UA site and possible can do YYZ-EWR-ZRH (stopover)-BRU(destination and CDG to EWR-YYZ back in polaris with less yq charges but will take 440000 miles.

I really want to see if I can use the premium economy option as my kids will be 7 and 4.5 and would like to save some miles if I can. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Again too far out but just wanted some expert advise to see if there is any premium economy route that I can utilize.

Much appreciated!!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:03 pm

With kids that young, you will not see much of anything in these various countries (cities) if you are concerned with lower YQ and minimum points. Stick with one destination (London) and let kids enjoy a relaxing trip. Or send you wife in business to 3 stops (that is what is allowed) and you look after the kids. Everybody will be happy. Wife will take some pick of cricket games.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunwin
Hi Guys.....I know its too early but need to plan and accumulate miles accordingly. Planning to take the family to Europe for 2019 cricket world cup in June in London and will see couple of other countries as well (switzerland, brussels, london and paris). I have enough points for economy but I know its not worth the redemption. So here is the question:

Any airlines or a route that offer premium economy?

For business class redemptions I was checking the UA site and possible can do YYZ-EWR-ZRH (stopover)-BRU(destination and CDG to EWR-YYZ back in polaris with less yq charges but will take 440000 miles.

I really want to see if I can use the premium economy option as my kids will be 7 and 4.5 and would like to save some miles if I can. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Again too far out but just wanted some expert advise to see if there is any premium economy route that I can utilize.

Much appreciated!!
1. 2019 is really far away, it may take more miles by then to redeem

2. I've flown Europe in Biz Class, it's really not worth it (@110K) for only 5-7 hours flight. I'd rather take a nonstop Y, like YYZ-BRU on SN (which I'm flying Y this X'mas)
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
1. 2019 is really far away, it may take more miles by then to redeem

2. I've flown Europe in Biz Class, it's really not worth it (@110K) for only 5-7 hours flight. I'd rather take a nonstop Y, like YYZ-BRU on SN (which I'm flying Y this X'mas)

Thanks Jerry. That is what I was thinking that biz wont make sense and didn't see any premium economy flights. Will probably do that and do open jaw as we have relatives in london and paris.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:08 pm

When do the SN seats open up? trying to check availability for 4 and not able to see...DId you use aeroplan to find the seats or united?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:10 pm

never mind....found it on united....So if I call aeroplan and feed them the flight number and date...they should be able to book it right?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I've flown LH and OS in Euro-Biz previously, and was wondering if all the *A European partners such as TAP Portugal, Croatian, Aegean, Adria, etc. feature "Euro-Biz" cabins (not the domestic "J" seating, as AC or UA offer)?

Just wondering if I need to go out of my way to fly one airline over the other because of the cabin (other factors being reasonably similar).

Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
I've flown LH and OS in Euro-Biz previously, and was wondering if all the *A European partners such as TAP Portugal, Croatian, Aegean, Adria, etc. feature "Euro-Biz" cabins (not the domestic "J" seating, as AC or UA offer)?

Just wondering if I need to go out of my way to fly one airline over the other because of the cabin (other factors being reasonably similar).

Thanks!
AFAIK, only TK has REAL J-class/seats (to IST usually, like AMS-IST)
others are simply domestic J config (3-seaters with middle seat empty)
I know TAP has 2-2 up front
check seatguru.com
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jerryhung
AFAIK, only TK has REAL J-class/seats (to IST usually, like AMS-IST)
others are simply domestic J config (3-seaters with middle seat empty)
I know TAP has 2-2 up front
check seatguru.com
TP has the same Euro-J nonsense as the others, 3x3 with blocked middle seat.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not sure if this is the right place or not - if not please move.

Trying to figure out a plan for grabbing LH F with my AC miles in October while ensuring that I can actually get home (RDU) without buying a last minute XYZ - RDU ticket.

At the moment, MXP - FRA - IAD - RDU is available in J on LH/LH (748)/UA. Should I got ahead and book that so that I have that IAD - RDU segment locked up and then just plan on paying the 100 CAD change fee if/when something opens up at T-15 for LH F?

Or am I better off just waiting until the end and assuming either IAD/ORD - RDU might be open or sucking it up with a last minute BA redemption for that.

I'm not entirely clear on the <21 day Aeroplan fee structure and whether I can make those changes

Ideally the FRA - IAD 748 flight will open up in F and they can just swap that segment.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:10 am

what should routing be like for aeroplan award redemption on economy class? This would be starting and ending in Vancouver , Canada and flying to London, Rome, and Paris for May 2018?

What would be the best airline and route please to avoid fuel charge and huge tax fee?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by metoo
what should routing be like for aeroplan award redemption on economy class? This would be starting and ending in Vancouver , Canada and flying to London, Rome, and Paris for May 2018?

What would be the best airline and route please to avoid fuel charge and huge tax fee?
YVR-XXX-IST-FCO on Turkish
FCO-ZRH-CDG on Swiss
CDG-BRU-LHR on Brussels
LHR-USA-YVR on United

Any stopover in London will add tax. It may be easier/cheaper to just stopover in Paris and side trip to London.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.