Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveche View Post
Appreciate if you expert guys could give me some thoughts on my 2016 trip as well... too bad dates are pretty much dead on due joining coach tours to east Europe. Less on YQ and no Lufthansa (due March is their 'strike season', and been screwed up 2 years in a row !!) thanks again

YYZ-FRA Mar.12
FRA-HKG Mar,17
HKG-YYZ Apr16 or 17

Preferably with CA, SQ, LX, TK.... THANKS GUYS
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:51 pm

How many people? Y or J? I assume you aren't SE so AC is a no go too...

Also, are those dates the departure dates or your required arrival dates ? For example YYZ-FRA departing on March 12 would arrive March 13 at FRA which wouldn't work if your tour starts on the 12th.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by jcoop
How many people? Y or J? I assume you aren't SE so AC is a no go too...

Also, are those dates the departure dates or your required arrival dates ? For example YYZ-FRA departing on March 12 would arrive March 13 at FRA which wouldn't work if your tour starts on the 12th.
Thanks jcoop,

I've got 350,000 points but prefer to fly in Y to save for next year. Myself and my wife need to take off on Mar.12 arriving Mar.13 to join the coach on Mar.14. I don't mind to pay YQ but just wanted to minimize it. Absolutely no LH since 2 years in a row (this year and last year) screwed up by their strike in March. Fine with connecting flights and layovers preferably less than 3 hours......thanks so much
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveche
Thanks jcoop,

I've got 350,000 points but prefer to fly in Y to save for next year. Myself and my wife need to take off on Mar.12 arriving Mar.13 to join the coach on Mar.14. I don't mind to pay YQ but just wanted to minimize it. Absolutely no LH since 2 years in a row (this year and last year) screwed up by their strike in March. Fine with connecting flights and layovers preferably less than 3 hours......thanks so much
so, as I suggested, what do you get when you search on Aeroplan.com with multi-city?
YYZ-FRA Mar.12
FRA-HKG Mar,17
HKG-YYZ Apr16 or 17

And, above is really more of Mini-RTW instead of Europe reward and hence more appropriate in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...questions.html
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by steveche
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveche View Post
Appreciate if you expert guys could give me some thoughts on my 2016 trip as well... too bad dates are pretty much dead on due joining coach tours to east Europe. Less on YQ and no Lufthansa (due March is their 'strike season', and been screwed up 2 years in a row !!) thanks again

YYZ-FRA Mar.12
FRA-HKG Mar,17
HKG-YYZ Apr16 or 17

Preferably with CA, SQ, LX, TK.... THANKS GUYS
YYZ-FRA Mar.12 - LO via WAW - some YQ, but lower than AC
FRA-HKG Mar,17 - LX via ZRH - the connection offered is tight (50 min.), but should be doable
HKG-YYZ Apr 17 - HKG-PEK on CA, then PEK-IAD-YYZ on UA

All bookable now on the website, for 2. Taxes total $381.96/person.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Twickenham
YYZ-FRA Mar.12 - LO via WAW - some YQ, but lower than AC
FRA-HKG Mar,17 - LX via ZRH - the connection offered is tight (50 min.), but should be doable
HKG-YYZ Apr 17 - HKG-PEK on CA, then PEK-IAD-YYZ on UA

All bookable now on the website, for 2. Taxes total $381.96/person.
come on, you're giving him fish instead of teaching him how to fish
but yeah, looks like good routing/flights already.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by jerryhung
come on, you're giving him fish instead of teaching him how to fish
What can I say - I was bored...

Shame about the new MPM rules - I'm getting TK options for the first 2 flights, but picking it on the first blacks out all the flight 2 options, and the only way to pick TK for flight 2 is to go LH on the TA portion.

ETA: Actually, you can go TK on flight 2 if you pick OS on the first flight - taxes go up to $467.06.

Last edited by Twickenham; Jun 30, 2015 at 9:13 am
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Twickenham
What can I say - I was bored...
Lovely. I like this.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:24 am

I'm looking at the following itinerary: MXP-IST-YYZ. There are multiple daily flights for MXP-IST but only one for IST-YYZ. The first MXP-IST flight will allow for me to connect in the same day, but it departs early (6:45AM) so I'd prefer to take a later flight on the previous day and spend the night in IST. TK offers a free hotel night in IST for overnight layovers but I'm not sure if it would apply in this case given that I could do it all in one day if I delayed the first leg. Anyone know the rules around this?

8/22: TK1896 MXP-IST 3:00PM-6:50PM
8/23: TK17 IST-YYZ 1:45PM-5:50PM

vs

8/23: TK1878 MXP-IST 6:45AM-10:35AM
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:29 am
Original Poster

I'm looking at the following itinerary: MXP-IST-YYZ. There are multiple daily flights for MXP-IST but only one for IST-YYZ. The first MXP-IST flight will allow for me to connect in the same day, but it departs early (6:45AM) so I'd prefer to take a later flight on the previous day and spend the night in IST. TK offers a free hotel night in IST for overnight layovers but I'm not sure if it would apply in this case given that I could do it all in one day if I delayed the first leg. Anyone know the rules around this?

vs

Best if you read up this thread and ask there if unclear
but since there's only one IST-YYZ, you look clear
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...cting-ist.html

Rules:

- There is more than 10 hours (7 or more hours for business class passengers) between two international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule for a maximum 2 nights. Comfort Class is considered economy in this context.

- The layover time is calculated on the schedule not your booking. Let me explain: If the schedule shows an outgoing flight within the 10/7 hours window, even if you are not booked on the earlier flight (or couldn't book because it was full), you won't be able to take advantage of the free hotel/tour offer.

- You must be on an incoming TK and outgoing TK flight (other Star Alliance flights are not applicable for this offer).
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM

vs

You do not get the hotel if its a voluntary long layover.
It only applies to where there are no options in the schedule.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:11 am

Thanks, I realized the error of my ways thanks to that thread. I'm also balking at the cost of getting a Turkish visa (x3 = $180) so it looks like that option is off the table.

That 6:45AM flight is quite a pain the butt, particularly since we should be sleeping in to get back on Eastern Daylight Time...

If only I were SE - the AC nonstop MXP-YYZ has 3 open J reward seats taunting me.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:25 pm

6:45AM is just too early, we can't do it. Given that we will have a 2 year old in tow, what do you think is the best option?

Current - AC nonstop in Y, $570 taxes and fees + $270 for preferred seats
Option 1 - AC nonstop in J, $1024 in taxes and fees + extra hotel night in MXP
Option 2 - TK MXP-IST J on day 1 @3PM, overnight in IST, IST-YYZ J @ 1:45PM on day 2, $160 in taxes and fees + $180 for Turkish visas + hotel in IST.
Option 3 - wait and see if something better comes up in the next month, but it seems unlikely

If we switch from the current we have to pay $270 in change fees.

Sadly with option 2 we won't even get to see much of Istanbul (at all) and our checked luggage will stay checked (right?).

The idea of sitting in Y is not appealing but it's certainly the simplest option.

Last edited by jcoop; Jul 6, 2015 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

6:45AM is just too early, we can't do it. Given that we will have a 2 year old in tow, what do you think is the best option?

Current - AC nonstop in Y, $570 taxes and fees + $270 for preferred seats
Option 1 - AC nonstop in J, $1024 in taxes and fees + extra hotel night in MXP
Option 2 - TK MXP-IST J on day 1 @3PM, overnight in IST, IST-YYZ J @ 1:45PM on day 2, $160 in taxes and fees + $180 for Turkish visas + hotel in IST.
Option 3 - wait and see if something better comes up in the next month, but it seems unlikely

If we switch from the current we have to pay $270 in change fees.

Sadly with option 2 we won't even get to see much of Istanbul (at all) and our checked luggage will stay checked (right?).

The idea of sitting in Y is not appealing but it's certainly the simplest option.
What's your current one?

Are there no other options? IST-YUL-YYZ or IST-ORD/BOS-YYZ? although they leave around the same time as IST-YYZ

Maybe get to MXP the night before? that's what I did (redeemed SPG points for on-site Sheraton hotel) for my MXP-FRA-YYZ last year
Just took a night bus (or train) from Milano Centrale to MXP
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:13 pm

Our current booking is on 8/22: AC895 MXP-YYZ departing 12:55PM in Y. Sadly that flight on that day does not have any J availability even if we wanted it.

We're staying 90 minutes away from MXP so we don't need an airport hotel unless it's an early morning flight. Everything is set up now so we can wake up at a reasonable hour, drive to MXP, drop off the rental car and get on the nonstop flight home. It does seem like the timing is such that any connecting flight means an early morning departure so that you make the connection to the TATL leg.

Basically I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle to fly TK or the extra YQ and extra hotel night to fly in an AC pod instead of a preferred Y seat. For me priority #1 is usually a nonstop flight, and I can buy myself something nice for that extra $400 in YQ in exchange for 8 hours in a Y seat. I also have to go to work on the 24th and I'm not sure whether I want an extra vacation day or time to recuperate after nearly three weeks away. I'm leaning towards not changing from the nonstop Y seat but it seems like cop out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.