Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Old May 5, 2015, 12:38 pm

ah, thank you guys for all the great information. Despite my effort to use the aeroplan, I couldn't really handle that long trip with UA from 7:40am LIS to 11:30pm YYZ (if there's no delay.)
I just booked with Air Transat, YYZ - LGW and LIS - YYZ, $661 (price dropped from last night )
Old May 5, 2015, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purplesnow
ah, thank you guys for all the great information. Despite my effort to use the aeroplan, I couldn't really handle that long trip with UA from 7:40am LIS to 11:30pm YYZ (if there's no delay.)
I just booked with Air Transat, YYZ - LGW and LIS - YYZ, $661 (price dropped from last night )
Congrats, I hear Lisbon is a great city (and cheap too)

This is also a good reminder for people to consider CASH options as well to EUROPE, when Aeroplan redemption value is poor (IMO, under 1.5-2 cents per mile is poor)
Old May 5, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Congrats, I hear Lisbon is a great city (and cheap too)

This is also a good reminder for people to consider CASH options as well to EUROPE, when Aeroplan redemption value is poor (IMO, under 1.5-2 cents per mile is poor)
Thank you Jerry, I appreciate all the information. I am saving my aeroplan for the mini RTW.
Old May 13, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Not sure what quite the meant, but I hate AC J catering. It's pure crap. International or domestic. Bleh.
Perhaps, but its better than United with North America.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Motoss
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm in a rock and hard place flying out of YVR to Europe.
If you can fly out of SEA, you'll find more of the routings go through ORD or EWR online. You also won't pay the YVR AIF and additional Canada taxes.

If you still need YVR, then try to route through ORD or EWR, as they're the major hubs to Europe for UA.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by bluemeansgo
If you can fly out of SEA, you'll find more of the routings go through ORD or EWR online. You also won't pay the YVR AIF and additional Canada taxes.

If you still need YVR, then try to route through ORD or EWR, as they're the major hubs to Europe for UA.
Thanks - debating if it's worth paying the extra to fly AC 788 business and paying 1k in taxes vs. United business class. Trying to get to CDG.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Motoss
Thanks - debating if it's worth paying the extra to fly AC 788 business and paying 1k in taxes vs. United business class. Trying to get to CDG.
I wouldn't, not at $1000 extra for sure
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Different YQ amounts for same AC flight

I have been playing with various routings for my trip next year, and noticed that "Carrier Surcharge" for AC is BIG. I tested big routing like YYZ-YUL-ZRH-BEG (only first segment on AC, LX the rest) BEG-IST-MLE (on TK) and MLE-IST-YYZ(TK or TK+AC) .
And I played with that last leg.
If last leg is done on TK+AC, then there is $450 carrier surcharge.
If done on TK+TK, then carrier surcharge is $0 - apparently the first AC segment is of no consequence?

But then I looked up MLE-IST-YYZ in isolation (one way ticket), and TK+AC has $268 surcharge (TK+TK has none).
And then, looking at IST-YYZ in isolation, AC imposes $201 carrier surcharge compared to none on TK. Seemingly, I'm paying $268-$201=$67 for privilege of AC picking up my luggage from TK, instead of checking me in.

So, same flight on AC will get YQ of $201 or $268 or $450, depending on how long is the overall route, even if there are no other segments on AC. Talking about scamming - what does overall route has to do with AC surcharge of single flight?

Just to keep in mind that "fuel dumping" might have extended meaning when traveling on AC. One ways might make more sense then round-trips.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lazarev
I have been playing with various routings for my trip next year, and noticed that "Carrier Surcharge" for AC is BIG. I tested big routing like YYZ-YUL-ZRH-BEG (only first segment on AC, LX the rest) BEG-IST-MLE (on TK) and MLE-IST-YYZ(TK or TK+AC) .
If done on TK+TK, then carrier surcharge is $0 - apparently the first AC segment is of no consequence?

But then I looked up MLE-IST-YYZ in isolation (one way ticket), and TK+AC has $268 surcharge (TK+TK has none).
And then, looking at IST-YYZ in isolation, AC imposes $201 carrier surcharge compared to none on TK. Seemingly, I'm paying $268-$201=$67 for privilege of AC picking up my luggage from TK, instead of checking me in.

So, same flight on AC will get YQ of $201 or $268 or $450, depending on how long is the overall route, even if there are no other segments on AC. Talking about scamming - what does overall route has to do with AC surcharge of single flight?

Just to keep in mind that "fuel dumping" might have extended meaning when traveling on AC. One ways might make more sense then round-trips.
Yes, do not fly AC if possible, especially on IST-YYZ (767 vs. TK's 777)
TK J >>>> AC J

Sometimes AP charges YQ on the entire segment, even if you only have partial AC segment
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Lazarev

Yes this is very common.
AC will calculate your scamcharge based on origin.

So (1), YYZ-MLE is $900 RT. Outbound is not scamchargeable, so $0 for that, and then $450 for the return.

(2) MLE-YYZ ex-MLE is $268 - again calculated on the basis of the whole route (not just IST-YYZ), sort of a scam on top of a scam.

(3) MLE-YYZ on TK has no YQ period.

The biggest case of this exclusively Air Canada scam is charging $900+ for YYZ-PEK-AKL where YYZ-PEK is only <$150, and PEK-AKL technically not scamchargeable.

However, one can beat AC at their own scam. For example YYZ-FRA-HKG would be nearly $700 if segments were added together, but they calculate it based on YYZ-HKG, which is govt regulated and very low.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
However, one can beat AC at their own scam. For example YYZ-FRA-HKG would be nearly $700 if segments were added together, but they calculate it based on YYZ-HKG, which is govt regulated and very low.
Can you still go to HKG by crossing the Atlantic ocean?
I thought any routing to Asia via the Atlantic was now a no-go after things changed last year...just curious.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:09 pm

Does TK release award seats on the YYZ-IST/IST-YYZ route on a consistent basis?
For example, are certain number of award seats released every day as the booking calendar moves forward?
I'd like to book 3 J seats on this route soon...hopefully this would be doable.

Last edited by agjil; Jun 5, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:09 pm

YUL-IST flies 3 or 4 times a week, and is definitely more consistant
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
Does TK release award seats on the YYZ-IST/IST-YYZ route on a consistent basis?
For example, are certain number of award seats released every day as the booking calendar moves forward?
I'd like to book 3 J seats on this route soon...hopefully this would be doable.
Tuesdays are the most frequent days to find availability to IST. And I have seen 9 seats available for booking at times. My departure is in December, and in January, I could book each Tuesday, but only 1 Sunday and 1 Thursday was ever available. As mentioned above, YUL is much easier, but I was able to get YYZ.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Bear in mind that while YYZ-IST used to be easy to find multiple seats in J, now all J awards "evaporated" starting from April 2016. In April and May I was able to find only two days with a single J seat, while in March there were plenty of them, some days with 4+ seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.