Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Old May 4, 15, 7:45 pm

LAX-DUB on Ethiopian is about the only other one. We don't have that much choice out here. Either pay up or make a lot of connections...
Old May 4, 15, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Motoss View Post
Any other ideas other than those mentioned on how to get out of YVR with low scam charges? Ideally business class. Thanks.
Get to East Coast hubs?

From what I can see, real *A ex-YVR are AC YVR-LHR and LH YVR-FRA/MUC
Both have crazy high YQ

otherwise, head down to LAX/SFO for some options, like SFO-IST, but that may go over MPM very quickly
Old May 4, 15, 8:57 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: AE, BA, MR, Fairmont Plat (RIP), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer View Post
You suggesting a dry flight before the festivities at Munich?
You must be confusing Turkish with Egypt Air!
Old May 4, 15, 9:24 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm in a rock and hard place flying out of YVR to Europe.
Old May 4, 15, 10:50 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by Motoss View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm in a rock and hard place flying out of YVR to Europe.
Look into TK flights out of YUL and sometimes YYZ (less availability typically I find). So long as you don't have a stopover (layover is fine) in those cities, there is no YQ to get to Europe (just the usual taxes). I think LX also can work out of YUL but it's harder to match a YVR-YUL flight within the < 24 h window that doesn't involve a very late arrival into YUL. With the late departure (~23:30) to IST, it's easier to connect up with TK.

Of course, that doesn't mean finding those YVR-YUL/YYZ flights won't still be a challenge...

The advantage of flying YUL or YYZ vs SFO and ORD is that the mileage is shorter, particularly vs SFO, thereby meaning more wiggle room for the MPM of your destination. Availability I've noticed (for J that is): YUL > ORD > YYZ > SFO. Right now, AE reward seat on the SFO-IST flight in J seems to have dried up.

Even if you do a stopover in YUL or YYZ, however, the YQ will be (comparatively) low since it's a domestic flight, nothing like the few to several hundreds for TATL.
Old May 4, 15, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Marlin240 View Post
Look into TK flights out of YUL and sometimes YYZ (less availability typically I find). So long as you don't have a stopover (layover is fine) in those cities, there is no YQ to get to Europe (just the usual taxes). I think LX also can work out of YUL but it's harder to match a YVR-YUL flight within the < 24 h window that doesn't involve a very late arrival into YUL. With the late departure (~23:30) to IST, it's easier to connect up with TK.

Of course, that doesn't mean finding those YVR-YUL/YYZ flights won't still be a challenge...

The advantage of flying YUL or YYZ vs SFO and ORD is that the mileage is shorter, particularly vs SFO, thereby meaning more wiggle room for the MPM of your destination. Availability I've noticed (for J that is): YUL > ORD > YYZ > SFO. Right now, AE reward seat on the SFO-IST flight in J seems to have dried up.

Even if you do a stopover in YUL or YYZ, however, the YQ will be (comparatively) low since it's a domestic flight, nothing like the few to several hundreds for TATL.
Thank for the info - this might be the best option. Thanks again.
Old May 5, 15, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
You must be confusing Turkish with Egypt Air!
Most likely, never used either one. I thought I seen this being said by those that used it but I must have read it wrong. I can go either way, so the lounge at IST serves the evil spirit I gather?
Old May 5, 15, 6:52 am

Programs: aeroplan peon
Most likely, never used either one. I thought I seen this being said by those that used it but I must have read it wrong. I can go either way, so the lounge at IST serves the evil spirit I gather?
Yes, and so does the airline.

I had lots of wine and scotch on my last TK flight. The only problem is the FA's don't seem to know a lot about alcohol, so when I asked for some port, they gave me a massive glass full of port
Old May 5, 15, 7:37 am

do you only get access to the lounge if you have a J ticket?
Old May 5, 15, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mkl8687 View Post
do you only get access to the lounge if you have a J ticket?
for IST CIP lounge, you need J ticket on *A flights, or you're *A Gold member (you + 1 guest) on Y ticket

check the Wiki in this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...er-thread.html
Old May 5, 15, 12:20 pm

I called aeroplan this morning, here's what I got:
Jun 12, YYZ - EWR - LHR
Jun 15, LHR - LIS
----------------
Return flight on Jun 21:
Option #1: Lisbon - Milan - Toronto (AC) Tax $541
Option #2: Lisbon - London - Toronto (AC) Tax $567
Option #3: Lisbon - London - Washington - Toronto (UA) Tax $360

From all the search I've done on united.com, there's really no UA flight from LIS to YYZ with 1 transfer.
I checked airtransat.ca, YYZ - LGW, then LIS - YYZ, all direct flights $711; plus I need to buy one way ticket from LHR - LIS for $164. Total comes out to $875.
What do you guys think? Should I just buy ticket from airtransat and save my points till next time?
Old May 5, 15, 12:48 pm
m.y

Programs: AC *E HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by purplesnow View Post
What do you guys think? Should I just buy ticket from airtransat and save my points till next time?
Just buy from Air Transat, if you go with UA and pay $360, you are using 60,000 miles to save $515, therefore valuing your points at 0.86 cents per mile. Not a good value.
Old May 5, 15, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by m.y View Post
Just buy from Air Transat, if you go with UA and pay $360, you are using 60,000 miles to save $515, therefore valuing your points at 0.86 cents per mile. Not a good value.
ah, thanks a lot! What should be a good number for cents per mile?
I read on another blog says 1.4, is that still the case now? Thanks!
Old May 5, 15, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by purplesnow View Post
ah, thanks a lot! What should be a good number for cents per mile?
I read on another blog says 1.4, is that still the case now? Thanks!
This is a contentious topic. The value of a point is dependent on your specific scenarios. If you have > 1 million Aeroplan miles, big whoop, go blow it on a toaster or two . If every mile is super important to you, then it depends on how you want to blow them. Do you want to pay YQ? Do you want to fly J (usually a better value than flying Y), do you want to fly somewhere every year, month etc?

Don't let others tell you what a good CPM is. It's highly dependent on many variables, many of which are specific to how you want to earn & redeem.
Old May 5, 15, 1:25 pm

I do think there is a lower bound especially if you get miles from credit cards.

Most cards give 1 mile per dollar spent as a base rate, but with a $120 (TD) - $150 (Amex) annual fee. Cashback/travel back credit cards with that kind of annual fee will typically pay 1.5% (TD First Class) up to 2% (BMO World Elite, MBNA Rewards World Elite, Capital One Aspire World Elite, CIBC Dividend Infinite)

On the flip side, there are many cards that pay out 1% cashback with no annual fee, so I will say that 1 cent per mile redemption is a bad deal. I personally base it at 1.5 cents per mile. If I'm not getting at least that, I don't use miles

Search this Thread