Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
A) If there is different origin or destination, yes, it has to be separate booking reference.
B) YYZ/YHZ-YUL-TATL (and vice versa) routing is not something you will find on Aeroplan site, but it is entirely possible - you just have to piece it yourself by looking one-way segment by segment (Aeroplan site still works for this) and then call to book (and pay the phone fee...) That routing will not save you from YQ, as soon as there is AirCanada flight as the first leg on the route, you will get saddled with some ~$500 in YQ. You might as well got to YUL yourself and make it part of the experience.
Looking to fly into Europe 1 (in Y, I don't want to transfer more from AMEX)
Ideally want the TATL leg to be the same for both of us...
Bear in mind that when flying in Y, seat assignment is not guaranteed (not even close to boarding) and it is very low chance of seating together when traveling on two different booking references. Heck, my family's business seat assignment was overwritten a month before departure with no notice (on same booking reference, my husband was moved to different row).
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I just love the Aeroplan site.
I search WAW-YYZ - and none of the Swiss routings come up - all that comes up are FRA/LHR connections where sometimes the long segment is in Y, and of course scamcharges are in the hundreds.

I search WAW-YTZ, and amazingly, now all kinds of WAW-ZRH-YUL-YTZ routings show up on LX. Taxes of $40,
MasterGeek and heraclitus like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I just love the Aeroplan site.
I search WAW-YYZ - and none of the Swiss routings come up - all that comes up are FRA/LHR connections where sometimes the long segment is in Y, and of course scamcharges are in the hundreds.

I search WAW-YTZ, and amazingly, now all kinds of WAW-ZRH-YUL-YTZ routings show up on LX. Taxes of $40,
Not just on Aeroplan.

I was looking at a number of international paid tickets. The best prices on a number of routes was not YYZ-xxx, but YTZ-YUL-xxx and the bonus fun was that some of these would require overnight in YUL. Maybe the objective is to drive traffic from/to YTZ. Who knows.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:41 am

Been researching hard regarding my Europe trip. How can I get the best use out of:

YYZ - FAO

LIS - BCN

BCN - YYZ

- The Aeroplan site just gives me Air Canada or Air Tap Portugal options with huge fees. Looking to leave around Sunday Sep 2 and return Monday Sep 17. I checked yesterday and YYZ - FAO had a great Brussels option but that disappeared today. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd be forever indebted to you.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leafs123
Been researching hard regarding my Europe trip. How can I get the best use out of:

YYZ - FAO

LIS - BCN

BCN - YYZ

- The Aeroplan site just gives me Air Canada or Air Tap Portugal options with huge fees. Looking to leave around Sunday Sep 2 and return Monday Sep 17. I checked yesterday and YYZ - FAO had a great Brussels option but that disappeared today. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd be forever indebted to you.
TBH, you can't book what's not there, so keep looking or book intra-Europe yourself on cash?
YYZ-LIS, BCN-YYZ should be doable on non-TAP airlines to save some fees

Good luck
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
TBH, you can't book what's not there, so keep looking or book intra-Europe yourself on cash?
YYZ-LIS, BCN-YYZ should be doable on non-TAP airlines to save some fees

Good luck
Oh really? I was always under the impression that you can research your own route through United, for example, and call Aeroplan to book that.

Seems like the Brussels option to FAO works for 1 ticket, but not 2. Strange.

And I can't find any low fee options for BCN-YYZ at the moment. Bleh. Think I saw a United option a couple of days ago but even that didn't look very appealing. Long layovers and whatnot.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:22 pm

Hello,

I am looking for advice on how to get to Spain from Vancouver with low YQ. Thoughts? Thank you.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Motoss
Hello,

I am looking for advice on how to get to Spain from Vancouver with low YQ. Thoughts? Thank you.
Swiss , United, Brussels - all will be 2 stop options, most likely via the US
Avoid AC LH OS TP
Motoss likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Swiss , United, Brussels - all will be 2 stop options, most likely via the US
Avoid AC LH OS TP
thank you - bummer about the 2 stop option. Actually looking at it closer ...getting to EWR would work for one stop.

Last edited by Motoss; Mar 30, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Motoss

thank you - bummer about the 2 stop option. Actually looking at it closer ...getting to EWR would work for one stop.
IAD is also an option for one-stop if you don't mind flying out of Seattle.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:35 am

Looking for 2 business seats for YYZ-WAW on LOT for XMAS season. I can find one business seat, and one in economy. If I book the economy seat under a business award (mixed-class booking) in the hopes of getting a free upgrade if/when availability presents itself, is LOT known for releasing additional business seats throughout the year? Close to travel date? Or never?

Any personal experience (or opinions) would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Any suggestions for low YQ ae redemption for YYZ-BRU on Aug. 30, for 2 in economy?

The SN direct flight with low YQ is not available.

After BRU, would like to go to TPE in mid-Sept. and NRT/HND around Sept. 27, before coming back to YYZ Oct. 11. There are more choices in these part. But yyz-bru, ae only shows routing with >$600 YQ (for 2).
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yscleo
Any suggestions for low YQ ae redemption for YYZ-BRU on Aug. 30, for 2 in economy?

My usual go-to for cheap rewards into Europe is using LX, specifically on their LX86/87 ZRH/YUL route. For whatever reason, I'm seeing no availability whatsoever on 8/30/2018 +/- 3 days in Y or J... I wonder if this is another availability glitch -- it's usually not too difficult to book that route. I'd keep looking at LX, as you'd be able do YYZ-YUL-ZRH-BRU.
yscleo likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by yscleo

After BRU, would like to go to TPE in mid-Sept. and NRT/HND around Sept. 27, before coming back to YYZ Oct. 11. There are more choices in these part. But yyz-bru, ae only shows routing with >$600 YQ (for 2).
To know YQ, you need to be looking at the entire itinerary, not just what the YQ is for YYZ-BRU.

More importantly, mileage is going to be really tight, so you may not have much flexibility on what flights you pick. MPM for YYZ-TPE is 10544, YYZ-BRU-TPE is 9712 without taking into consideration connecting flights
yscleo likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by leafs123
Oh really? I was always under the impression that you can research your own route through United, for example, and call Aeroplan to book that.

Seems like the Brussels option to FAO works for 1 ticket, but not 2. Strange.

And I can't find any low fee options for BCN-YYZ at the moment. Bleh. Think I saw a United option a couple of days ago but even that didn't look very appealing. Long layovers and whatnot.
Correct, if you can find the separate segments or routes on say United with award space you should be able to feed it to an agent and pay your $30 to book.
If you can get to major cites where scam free airlines fly out of it increases your odds of getting the TATL leg in J.

I assume the Brussels to FAO option has 1 award seat left; hence working for one, and not 2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.