Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Hmm, I thought changes AFTER the trip started won't trigger any YQ change (can be good or bad depending on what you paid originally)

so in your case it should've just been the change fee and no extra YQ
Guess not

Hope it turned out OK
Since 2014, as I previously wrote, I have always been charged extra YQ for changes made after the trip started. Curiously though, when YQ was lower ( from LH to LX) agent refused to adjust. Inconsistent as usual.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by crimsona
But not 1.8 worth
This. ^

So after 1 hour, 22 mins, this clueless YVR-based AP agent finally got a supervisor to 'review' the additonal $952 CAD add coll showing in her faultless AP system and advised they would override the system on a one-time exception basis and not charge the additional YQ even though the system is 'correct' in her words. She was wholly incompetent. The final tally was a refund of $80isd CAD for Portugal/US taxes and new taxes of $28 CAD for German taxes, which is what it should have been when the call started.

I have rarely come across such an obstinate agent and have provided feedback to one of the YUL supervisor contacts I have on file, as the call should be pull for retraining.

Some will say it should have been a HUCA situation, but I couldn't let this one go.

While on hold I had the chance to re-review the Aeroplan Myths....
Old May 7, 2017, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Hmm, I thought changes AFTER the trip started won't trigger any YQ change (can be good or bad depending on what you paid originally)

so in your case it should've just been the change fee and no extra YQ
Guess not

Hope it turned out OK
This is precisely how it should work. Changes after a trip start should not effect fuel surcharges at all - even if it means a reduction in surcharges or an addition of surcharges. Speak to a supervisor.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Countdown until June 2020 begins today

Redeem your YQ-free flights (no LX yet) ASAP for 2018
Old May 12, 2017, 3:43 am

Can someone explain to me how exactly YQ works when combing multiple carriers?

For example, if my itinerary includes AC, TK, TG, and SQ (YVR-YYZ-IST-BKK-SIN-SFO-YVR), how do I figure out in advance what the YQ would be? It doesn't seem as simple of adding up the YQ charged by AC and TG on an individual segment basis (per ITA matrix).
Old May 12, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Can someone explain to me how exactly YQ works when combing multiple carriers?

For example, if my itinerary includes AC, TK, TG, and SQ (YVR-YYZ-IST-BKK-SIN-SFO-YVR), how do I figure out in advance what the YQ would be? It doesn't seem as simple of adding up the YQ charged by AC and TG on an individual segment basis (per ITA matrix).
If YYZ-IST is on AC - you will pay YQ based on YVR-SIN as if it was on AC metal all the way.
If YYZ-IST is on TK - you will pay YQ for YVR-YYZ and BKK-SIN (at most - sometimes AC will 'forget' the YVR-YYZ in this case)
Old May 12, 2017, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
If YYZ-IST is on AC - you will pay YQ based on YVR-SIN as if it was on AC metal all the way.
If YYZ-IST is on TK - you will pay YQ for YVR-YYZ and BKK-SIN (at most - sometimes AC will 'forget' the YVR-YYZ in this case)
Now that's interesting. AC doesn't fly YVR-SIN though, so how would they price the YQ? Is it just some random number they pull out their hats?

What is the difference between the 2 scenarios? Carrier on longest leg?
Old May 13, 2017, 2:58 am

Just take the YQ from ITA matrix for origin to destination bookings

The difference is AC (or joint venture) vs other airlines on the trans ocean segment
Old May 13, 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
Just take the YQ from ITA matrix for origin to destination bookings

The difference is AC (or joint venture) vs other airlines on the trans ocean segment
Oh, so for example, you mean I would need to go on ITA and search YVR-SIN, while choosing AC as the transocean leg to determine YQ?

Does the same rule apply to other airlines as well (no AC involved in entire itinerary).

Also, what's YR? Is this passed on for award bookings as well?

Last edited by pentiumvi; May 13, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Old May 13, 2017, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
...Also, what's YR? Is this passed on for award bookings as well?
Well, one discussion on YR is here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...nstead-yq.html
Old May 13, 2017, 9:53 pm

Oh, so for example, you mean I would need to go on ITA and search YVR-SIN, while choosing AC as the transocean leg to determine YQ?

Does the same rule apply to other airlines as well (no AC involved in entire itinerary).

Also, what's YR? Is this passed on for award bookings as well?
Same/similar YQ applies if flying Lufthansa or Austria trans Atlantic
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
OK, this is admittedly not Europe but I was nevertheless amazed to see discount market rewards for YWG-SYD in April 2018 with very appealing YQ.

All AC itinerary, YWG-YVR-SYD and then SYD-YVR-YWG

4 Y seats (2 adult, 2 kids - not sure if it matters) for 346,000.

But the kicker: total YQ of $556.24. Even lower than UA, and without the hassle of the US connection. I'm not sure if that's old news or what, but in the past AC to SYD always generated YQ into the thousands for 4 seats.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by heraclitus

But the kicker: total YQ of $556.24. Even lower than UA, and without the hassle of the US connection. I'm not sure if that's old news or what, but in the past AC to SYD always generated YQ into the thousands for 4 seats.
Shocking. Has the carrier surcharge changed for business class tickets to Sydney?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heraclitus
OK, this is admittedly not Europe but I was nevertheless amazed to see discount market rewards for YWG-SYD in April 2018 with very appealing YQ.

All AC itinerary, YWG-YVR-SYD and then SYD-YVR-YWG

4 Y seats (2 adult, 2 kids - not sure if it matters) for 346,000.

That seems pretty good for FLEX/MARKET fare
86500 per person only, and tax/fee/YQ CAN be lower than Fixed rewards
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE50K, Marriott Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Hi to everyone on the forum. I have a question regarding the NA-europe redemption.

Would someone know that which of the no or low YQ carriers have PE seats that gets available to book to Europe? Looking to book for next summer on PE for 4 people. I see that AC has sale for economy for 172000 miles for all 4. Is that better deal? But taxes are close to 2000.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.