Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:13 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by marko403
Are there more flights available redeemable with points that don't show up on the Aeroplan website that can only be booked by phone? Could I in theory find availability in business cabin on an airline without fuel surcharge and call Aeroplan and have them book the segment?
If you mean showing on UA.com as a saver award, or via ANA *A search then yes, generally, they will be available via Aeroplan, either on the phone or online.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:59 pm

YYC to CPH in September

Hello everyone;
Long story short is I am reading these forums and learning the value of Aeroplan for business class to Europe on certain carriers (thank you to all especially Jerry). I have Ord-cph booked on Sep.19th direct via SAS for 45K Aeroplan and $8.00. I have to add yyc-ord however (based on my research) United is only releasing these flights 3-6 months prior. I have to pay the $90 change fee and possibly more miles with the new rates anyway. Should I consider going Lufthansa First Class via Denver or Chicago instead or is the SAS business class pretty good. Another option I am considering is Swiss business from ord-zrh. Both the Lufthansa and Swiss would be an extra connection so is Swiss that much better or is it worth the extra miles and $500 for the Lufthansa first class experience?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danno95
Hello everyone;
Long story short is I am reading these forums and learning the value of Aeroplan for business class to Europe on certain carriers (thank you to all especially Jerry). I have Ord-cph booked on Sep.19th direct via SAS for 45K Aeroplan and $8.00. I have to add yyc-ord however (based on my research) United is only releasing these flights 3-6 months prior. I have to pay the $90 change fee and possibly more miles with the new rates anyway. Should I consider going Lufthansa First Class via Denver or Chicago instead or is the SAS business class pretty good. Another option I am considering is Swiss business from ord-zrh. Both the Lufthansa and Swiss would be an extra connection so is Swiss that much better or is it worth the extra miles and $500 for the Lufthansa first class experience?
only you can decide if $500 extra is worth for LH F over SAS J
Personally I wouldn't
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Are there more flights available redeemable with points that don't show up on the Aeroplan website that can only be booked by phone? Could I in theory find availability in business cabin on an airline without fuel surcharge and call Aeroplan and have them book the segment?
The Aeroplan search engine is unimaginative, to say the least, and tends to favour AC flights. Also, it's hard to get it to give you an option with an overnight connection. Thus, if you want a routing that is unconventional, you need to search for the flights one-by-one, then phone to have an agent book it for you.

To give you a real-life example: I'm flying YQB-BCN next July. Searching on the AE website, the only options I was being given were via FRA on AC and LH. However, by searching individual flights, I was able to piece together a YQB-YUL-IST-BCN routing on AC and TK.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Aeroplan search was built with average customer in mind - one that searches without any YQ knowledge. With ALL TATL routes costing the the same number of points, the search engine focuses to least connections with some (or _some_ more) favoring of AC flights. Some would say that search engine is stacked for more money grab on AP part, but that would require IT competence within AP that I, honestly, don't find plausible.

One of obvious examples is: Aeroplan website search will NEVER give you any option that does YYZ-YUL-somewhere in Europe. And yes, unless you get very friendly agent, you will have to fork up telephone booking fee (price for going around their inconvenient search results).

If you have set date, searching on AP site is still fine, just be mindful that you have to search TATL leg from various North American east coast cities. YUL/EWR/ORD/BOS/DCA/(even)JFK. Then 3-hour(or so) connecting flight can be anything, I think surviving UA coach for an hour is worth having overnight business class across the ocean.
If your dates are flexible, AwardSearch (plugin for Chrome) can be helpful, but city pairs still have to be plucked in manually. What helped me was to search some awkward date (like month away) in AP site for any destination in Europe and see all crazy routings it can spit up when AC metal is all sold. Then use that knowledge to pick city pair for across-the-ocean portion and add on (search) connecting flights later.

In general, TATL business award seats without YQ are few and far between, and they get taken rather quickly. I booked 4 seats for July 2016 flight (high season) in August 2015. April is very close for much availability, although being a low season, you still might find some seats.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Personally I wouldn't
I would use that $500 and buy something.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I would use that $500 and buy something.
Like LH F?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:03 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by danno95
Hello everyone;
If you have never done LH F, it can be worth it. But really only if you have time to spend in the LH F terminal in FRA. Otherwise I would stick with the new SAS J.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Like LH F?
Well, that depends on how greedy one is? LOL
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:27 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Personally I wouldn't
I would, in a heartbeat, especially before I flew F and even after I have. I have been spoiled... Agree to try to maximize layover time at FRA to fully enjoy the experience.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I would, in a heartbeat, especially before I flew F and even after I have. I have been spoiled... ....
ABSOLUTELY. ^^^ YQ was worth it here.

(ok, the pink champagne and gummy bears were bonus)
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:24 pm

Lazarev, awesome tip looking at flights 1 month away to see the type of options available when AC metal is all sold.

I am going to keep searching but it looks like I've found myself a business class flight to AMS and now it's just a matter of finding a way back.

Cheers!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:41 pm

I would just look at the star alliance route map, and filter for the specific airlines...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Just adding a reminder that the concept is exactly the same for TPAC/Pacific flights, except you have less no-YQ carriers (UA, BR, CA, SQ), while AC/OZ/TG have high YQ $

NH may have $0 YQ to Japan now with recent change

Maybe I should add an ASIA section into OP ........
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
I am in the unfortunate position of trying to book a trip to Europe (Prague and Zurich) in J for departures Mid-Late July 2016. I have 112,000 Aeroplan and am going with my girlfriend, so we have the miles to get there in J, but I am curious if any of you would be willing to advise on routings. Unfortunately I will have to book the return with UA miles, so virtually the same routings on the return.

We are US west coast based and ok with departing from SFO, LAX, or potentially ORD. As a result, it seems the best options for J are:
TK: SFO (or LAX)—IST—then on to PRG or ZRH
SK: ORD—CPH—then on to PRG or ZRH (tough to find J availability)
UA, LH: SFO (or LAX)—FRA or MUC—then on to PRG or ZRH
SX: SFO (or LAX)—ZRH

Any other airlines I'm missing and any other routings to be aware of? Have searched UA and Aeroplan tools so far, not ANA yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.