Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards limit to ten reservations

Priority Rewards limit to ten reservations

Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
10 Reservations are a lot. I cannot see many SE even doing 6 Reservations per year.
I know people who used them when last minute tickets were extremely expensive. 7500 miles for a one-way short-haul versus $1500.

And if you're flying the route every week, it's very easy to encounter that situation monthly, which is more than 12.

Personally, I think it should be a "seat" limit, not a PNR limit. 10x9 should not be the same as 10x1.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Trendm
Long time reader, first time poster. I am a SE100K member for years and just found out about the new restriction on Aeroplan Priority rewards limited to ten reservations a year. However my business partner (also SE100K) was told on the phone that aeroplan is not tracking this and is considering removing this all together. Anyone hear this?

It will change the way I book reward tickets if true. Thanks!

Here is the rule:
Priority Rewards
Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations per eligible Altitude member, per benefit period beginning March 1, 2015. Super Elite 100K members are able to book a combined total of ten reservations in both Economy and Business Class. In the event that Aeroplan ClassicFlight Reward seats are completely booked, Priority Rewards offer access to additional seats on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.
Super old news (except for the non-tracking part and potential removal)

Welcome to FT!

Now that this thread exists, I bet the 10 count will be enforced by AE!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Seat limit is a good idea Cow, but I can say that honestly if I use 3 this year, it'll be high. I've got one booked at Christmas because it's worth an extra $250 at least vs the fare/regular fare.

I can see though a couple family vacations with the way you guys need to route/book things some times that 10 could vanish quickly.

My issue is, it seems that any time I look for a booking, it basically has to be IKK. So if I booked 10 trips in a year, there's a good chance all 10 would be IKK.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by rehoult
Yes, this was announced last fall. An important note is that each of the 10 reservations can contain up to 9 people and it includes anytime of reservation (o/w, r/t or open-jaw). Given that, it shouldn't have a huge impact, but it may result in changes to booking procedures (i.e. booking r/t ticket instead of multiple o/w).
10 Reservations are a lot. I cannot see many SE even doing 6 Reservations per year.
I know for me looking back over the past few years it's more about my preference to use one way bookings since I don't always know the return date. Now I'd use a rt booking and pay change fees (which is annoying).

Also, 10 is so high that I think I'd never come close so it's made me much more paranoid about using IKK, trying to ration it just in case. It means things like a random last minute weekend trip I might not take.

Although I happen to live in a place where every AE booking I do requires an IKK seat (as it's very difficult to find regular availability).

That said, I understand why they want a limit - I just wish it was higher so I wouldn't give it any thought but would stop the people from doing it once or twice per week.

Last edited by CdnFlier; Mar 19, 2015 at 3:38 pm Reason: words
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:55 pm
Suspended

I have 2 SE accounts.

10x9x2 is 180 seats. I don't think I can fly that much.

Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allvest
I have 2 SE accounts.

10x9x2 is 180 seats. I don't think I can fly that much.

But it's nine of you on each trip. so 20 trips, yes you can. Nine seats each.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:35 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I disagree. It all depends on booking patterns. If you use all your Aeroplan miles on one or two family vacations for 4 people, that's two bookings, not a big deal.

But my girlfriend and I have no children. We travel a fair amount. Sometimes I use Aeroplan points to fly a friend out to YYC for ski trips with me or to join me on some trip they couldn't necessarily afford to go on otherwise. Bookings are always for only one or two people. Sometimes bookings are done as 2x one-way. Almost always within North America (e.g. DCA-YYC, YYC-YUL, etc).

In those circumstances, it's very easy to burn through 10 in a hurry and not actually cost AC a ton of money.

cow's math is funny and I'm sure someone getting 90 IKK seats would be costing AC a boatload, so go ahead and crack down on something like that, but I think his suggestion of a seat limit is much fairer than a reservation limit.

They could also look at refining the limit somewhat - e.g. no limit on Y reservations, but a limit on J, or fewer restrictions on North American and more on intercontinental.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:44 pm

Why not? Some short hauls within Canada can be incredibly expensive last minute...

I have redeemed a few YEG-YMM's with hours notice, fare was 300-400$, or 7500 miles and 40$... 4CPM is not a terrible redemption...
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:01 pm

Its most likely a very limited subset of SE's who were majorly abusing such. Its not hard to acquire points in bulk quantities for 2-3 cents/mile, which, with unlimited IKK, could enable a SE to effectively fly long transcons or to expensive Jazz stations for far beneath even the average revenue fare.

So its a loophole they definitely had to, if not close, then at least credibly threaten to close to stop the behaviour. Most likely a small subset of SE's/E100k's well known to AC that they brought the hammer down upon, leaving everyone else alone.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pitz
Its most likely a very limited subset of SE's who were majorly abusing such. Its not hard to acquire points in bulk quantities for 2-3 cents/mile, which, with unlimited IKK, could enable a SE to effectively fly long transcons or to expensive Jazz stations for far beneath even the average revenue fare.

So its a loophole they definitely had to, if not close, then at least credibly threaten to close to stop the behaviour. Most likely a small subset of SE's/E100k's well known to AC that they brought the hammer down upon, leaving everyone else alone.
I'm not disagreeing, but this screams of YoY need to increase profit. I'm not saying this is a good thing but clearly it has annoyed a few you super elites.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Mar 20, 2015 at 6:34 am
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I rushed to make several Priority Bookings before March 1 and made a mistake on one of them. When I called after March 1 to correct the error the agent suggested I cancel and re-book since they said imposition of the limit of Priority Bookings had been delayed.

Does anyone know when the limit will come into affect, if indeed, the start was delayed?

/paulc
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I thought the limit of 10 priority (aka "IKK") rewards for SEs referred to business class bookings only?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I thought the limit of 10 priority (aka "IKK") rewards for SEs referred to business class bookings only?
Nope, both economy and business.

Priority Rewards are limited to a combined total of ten (10) reservations in both Economy and Business Class, per Super Elite 100K member, per benefit period beginning March 1, 2015.
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/priority-rewards
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by adam.smith
I see that there is a such a limit for Elites - whereby they get priority access to economy awards at twice basic Aeroplan mileage requirements!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I see that there is a such a limit for Elites - whereby they get priority access to economy awards at twice basic Aeroplan mileage requirements!
Yeah, it's pretty bad. Tried to book some through my dad's account recently (he's E75K) and in every case Market Fare was a way better deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.