Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

can children sit in the centre section in an exit row?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

I'll be travelling with my 6-year-old son on the 787 and am thinking about changing my seats. I was wondering if he would be allowed to sit with me in the centre section of the exit row (ie. 31D, 31E, and/or 31G). I know that in the section of 3 seats on either side of the plane, he wouldn't be allowed to sit there as it's right next to an emergency exit, but how about in the middle set of 3 seats? Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...rredseats.html

Not everyone can sit in an exit row. We've detailed exit row and other restrictions in our terms and conditions:

Exit row seating restrictions

You may sit in an exit row if you are:
•12 years of age or older;
•able to read and understand English or French, and provide oral instructions in one of the two languages;
•able to visually assess if it is safe to open the emergency exit;
•free from any disability, condition or responsibilities (such as attending to another person) that may prevent you from performing the functions required to open an emergency exit;
•able to operate and safely evacuate through the emergency exit, and willing to assist in an evacuation in the event of an emergency.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't the point of the OP to question whether seats in the center section of a widebody aircraft count as being in the exit row when they are lined up with the seats next to, for instance, an overawing window exit? Six is clearly too young to sit in an exit row, but are these center section seats rurally considered to be part of the exit row?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't the point of the OP to question whether seats in the center section of a widebody aircraft count as being in the exit row when they are lined up with the seats next to, for instance, an overawing window exit? Six is clearly too young to sit in an exit row, but are these center section seats rurally considered to be part of the exit row?
The center seats are coloured the same on the AC 787 seat map for row 31 so yes it seems to me that all seats in that row are considered as preferred exit row seats.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:28 pm
B1

The exit row rules apply to the seats adjoining the emergency exit. The centre section row number happens to line up with those seats and has more space. The exit restrictions would not make sense - the additional leg room makes them preferred and it makes sense to charge more for the legroom, not for the opportunity to operate the exit window. It would seem strange to prevent a child from being in a row with an aisle separating the seat from an exit but it would be good to get an official ruling. The result should be posted in the Travel with Children FT forum.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by B1
The exit row rules apply to the seats adjoining the emergency exit. The centre section row number happens to line up with those seats and has more space. The exit restrictions would not make sense - the additional leg room makes them preferred and it makes sense to charge more for the legroom, not for the opportunity to operate the exit window. It would seem strange to prevent a child from being in a row with an aisle separating the seat from an exit but it would be good to get an official ruling. The result should be posted in the Travel with Children FT forum.
I just booked seats E and F in the exit row of a 320. E being the centre seat of 3. The same set of questions was asked for each seat. So I conclude that the same rules apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.