Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ timing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
YYZ timing

Hello all, I'm a Delta Platinum flying AC to Toronto in July because I needed to be in Toronto by 9am and can't fly out the night before, so I needed the nonstop from DCA.

I am on the 6am DCA-YYZ on a Wednesday morning in July, scheduled to arrive at 7:32. This is Air Canada Express service, so it'll be on a RJ, i assume.

Assuming the flight leaves and operates on-time, how quickly do you believe I'll be able to de-plane and go through Canadian customs and immigration? I will not be checking bags and I have global entry.

The second part of my question, and this is coming from someone who has never been to Toronto before is this - how likely is that that I'll be able to de-plane; go through customs and immigration; taxi to my hotel (understanding it's morning rush hour) that is near Rogers Centre/CN Tower, drop off bags, and then make my way to the University of Toronto by 9am?

Is that do-able? Also, what should I expect to pay for a cab from YYZ to the Rogers Centre/CN Tower area? Is uber available in Toronto for airport pickups? I know some airport authorities do not allow uber for airport pickups, I'm sure a regular cab would be fine, but if uber or uberx is available to me, I would prefer that (mostly because it's cashless).

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
GE does not help you enter Canada.

Uber is available, but UberX is not available at the airport. All the taxis take credit cards too.

Also, I know you said you can't fly out the night before, but I think 88 minutes is REALLY pushing it to clear customs, go to the CN tower, drop of your bags, and then go to UofT.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Welcome to Toronto!

1) Clearing customs should be quite fast. Typically line ups are no more than 5-10 min. I can usually get from the gate to the taxi in less than 20 min. Though it really depends cuz if there are a few giant planes landing it can take longer. Global entry will not work entering Canada. You will have to report to a officer in person.

2) All taxis accept credit cards. Taxi can take anywhere from 25 min to 70 min depending on traffic. If it is in the morning on a weekday expect the high end of that range.

Also in July you will be able to take the new UP Express train that can get you to union station (next to CN tower) in 25 min. No traffic.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by plinko83
Hello all, I'm a Delta Platinum flying AC to Toronto in July because I needed to be in Toronto by 9am and can't fly out the night before, so I needed the nonstop from DCA.

I am on the 6am DCA-YYZ on a Wednesday morning in July, scheduled to arrive at 7:32. This is Air Canada Express service, so it'll be on a RJ, i assume.

Assuming the flight leaves and operates on-time, how quickly do you believe I'll be able to de-plane and go through Canadian customs and immigration? I will not be checking bags and I have global entry.

The second part of my question, and this is coming from someone who has never been to Toronto before is this - how likely is that that I'll be able to de-plane; go through customs and immigration; taxi to my hotel (understanding it's morning rush hour) that is near Rogers Centre/CN Tower, drop off bags, and then make my way to the University of Toronto by 9am?

Is that do-able? Also, what should I expect to pay for a cab from YYZ to the Rogers Centre/CN Tower area? Is uber available in Toronto for airport pickups? I know some airport authorities do not allow uber for airport pickups, I'm sure a regular cab would be fine, but if uber or uberx is available to me, I would prefer that (mostly because it's cashless).

Thanks!

Your plan for getting off the plane, through customs, getting out the door and grabbing a cab was fine. However, you'll be inbound to downtown in the middle of rush-hour (oxymoron). Assuming it's your typical weekday, you will not make it to hotel and UofT for 9 (or if you do, it will be extremely close if lucky). Pearson Airport to hotel would be all expressway. Hotel to UofT is city traffic.

If you have on-time arrival and if you get out of the airport rather quickly, you could skip hotel and got straight to UofT.

Anyone else like to chime in on whether his GE will allow his fast exit with the NEXUS kiosks?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cooleddie
Also in July you will be able to take the new UP Express train that can get you to union station (next to CN tower) in 25 min. No traffic.

BTW, there is major construction underground at Union Station. At least one of the exits was blocked on my recent trip down there. Plus, as a first-timer, plinko83 would have to exit the maze in reasonable time.

The upside to the new express train from Pearson is being able to avoid summer road construction and any mess-ups on the 427 and QEW.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 24left
Anyone else like to chime in on whether his GE will allow his fast exit with the NEXUS kiosks?
Nexus != GE. Nexus => GE. The converse is false.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the quick responses...

If I can be a little more clear...

1.) 9am is the goal - I am flying in to see a close friend play in the PanAm Games - if I'm a little late, while not ideal, it's OK. The game begins at 9am. It's not like I'll be late to a meeting or something that is incredibly important. That being said - I am flying in for this (and a couple other games) so I'd like to be there as close to the 9am start time as possible.

2.) The taxis taking credit cards is helpful - is there a negative stigma with using the credit card machine in a Toronto cab?

3.) Totally recognize the rush hour piece of it, in fact, I realize that'll probably be my biggest hurdle. This train sounds intriguing - any other details on it that you can give me?

Unfortunately, i do have an important meeting the night before on Tuesday, which is why flying out the night before simply isn't an option for me. I'm still very excited for the trip; while I've been all over the world in my travels, somehow I've never made it to Canada...so i'm eager to visit and spend time in Toronto for a few days.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left

If you have on-time arrival and if you get out of the airport rather quickly, you could skip hotel and got straight to UofT.

My reasoning for going to hotel is that I'll have two bags with me...

Since I'll be going to the venue next, it's likely they will have some sort of bag policy that will prevent from bringing my bags in (my rollerboard at the very least...I might be able to get away with my backpack, but I'm under the assumption the rollerboard will be a no go.) Also, after the game, it'll only be 11am, I plan to do some sightseeing and such and would prefer not to have my bags with me.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:53 pm
Suspended

My reasoning for going to hotel is that I'll have two bags with me...

Since I'll be going to the venue next, it's likely they will have some sort of bag policy that will prevent from bringing my bags in (my rollerboard at the very least...I might be able to get away with my backpack, but I'm under the assumption the rollerboard will be a no go.) Also, after the game, it'll only be 11am, I plan to do some sightseeing and such and would prefer not to have my bags with me.

understood
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC 100KSE
No negative stigma with credit cards. Canada is a highly plastic society. I never have cash personally.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AE*E, Hyatt Diamond, AAdv, BA Exec
if the goal is to be at u of t, then suggest a 15 mins taxi to kipling station and a 20 mins train ride to St George station.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by toflyer
if the goal is to be at u of t, then suggest a 15 mins taxi to kipling station and a 20 mins train ride to St George station.
This. Take a taxi to Kipling then take the Subway the rest of the way. If the PanAm games are going on as well as rush hour traffic, forget about driving, it will take 90 minutes just to get to your hotel
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
i would recommend since it is july that you apply for Nexus. (you have enough time)
That would avoid any lines at Canadian customs

I would also recommend the express train to downtown - will be very fast and no worries about traffic.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Thanks for all the quick responses...
3.) Totally recognize the rush hour piece of it, in fact, I realize that'll probably be my biggest hurdle. This train sounds intriguing - any other details on it that you can give me?

http://www.upexpress.com/en/informat...formation.aspx

UP Express will take you to Union Station, and it is only a short walk to CN Tower/Rogers Centre from Union Station.

Drop off your bags and then take the subway from Union Station to St. George Station** (10 minute subway ride)

**provided you are talking about University of Toronto Varsity Stadium and not University of Toronto Scarborough Campus... as Scarborough Campus is much further away

Varsity: http://www.toronto2015.org/venue/varsity-stadium
Scarborough: http://www.toronto2015.org/venue/aqu...nd-field-house

https://ttc.ca/Subway/interactive_ma...ctive_map.jsp#

Last edited by iamaho; Mar 16, 2015 at 8:46 pm
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iamaho
http://www.upexpress.com/en/informat...formation.aspx

UP Express will take you to Union Station, and it is only a short walk to CN Tower/Rogers Centre from Union Station.

Drop off your bags and then take the subway from Union Station to St. George Station** (10 minute subway ride)

**provided you are talking about University of Toronto Varsity Stadium and not University of Toronto Scarborough Campus... as Scarborough Campus is much further away

Varsity: http://www.toronto2015.org/venue/varsity-stadium
Scarborough: http://www.toronto2015.org/venue/aqu...nd-field-house

https://ttc.ca/Subway/interactive_ma...ctive_map.jsp#

Great links. Thanks for sharing !!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.