Revenue-based Upgrades (with miles) ?

Old Mar 10, 15, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Revenue-based Upgrades (with miles) ?

A few of us asked this question a while back: why can't we use Aeroplan miles to upgrade a paid ticket?

From The Boarding Area
"Delta has introduced revenue-based upgrades where miles are used to ‘pay the difference’ between your fare and a higher class of service."

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ased-upgrades/

or at DL's site

"Take advantage of Upgrade with Miles during an original booking directly through Delta"

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ith-miles.html
Old Mar 10, 15, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
A few of us asked this question a while back: why can't we use Aeroplan miles to upgrade a paid ticket?

You can - but only from Latitude or PE class O, fares. It's a Star Alliance upgrade - see https://www4.aeroplan.com/saua/Upgra...entLanguage=en
Old Mar 10, 15, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the C/D u/g request going to F?
Old Mar 10, 15, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by Geoflying View Post
You can - but only from Latitude or PE class O, fares. It's a Star Alliance upgrade - see https://www4.aeroplan.com/saua/Upgra...entLanguage=en
True, but it would be nice though if AC had a broader program, maybe only for Altitude status pax.
Old Mar 10, 15, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
I was looking at using miles to potentially upgrade SFO-OGG-SFO on United (I have a bunch of Chase points I can transfer to UAMP 1 to 1), but they wanted a $250 copay each way.

I *believe* that's waived for people with certain UA status, but something like that could be interesting for AC. However, I can't see how 20k miles + $250 is going to do anything to prevent "cheapening" of the J cabin.
Old Mar 10, 15, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, UA*1K, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I was looking at using miles to potentially upgrade SFO-OGG-SFO on United (I have a bunch of Chase points I can transfer to UAMP 1 to 1), but they wanted a $250 copay each way.

I *believe* that's waived for people with certain UA status, but something like that could be interesting for AC. However, I can't see how 20k miles + $250 is going to do anything to prevent "cheapening" of the J cabin.
Maybe Ben only thinks Altitude members cheapen the product. Base (non-status) members doing a points + cash upgrade aren't Altitude members therefore wouldn't cheapen the product.
Old Mar 10, 15, 3:48 pm

My suspicion is that while Air Canada would like to do this, their contractual arrangements with Aeroplan either limit their ability to do so, or don't make it worth their while (as Aeroplan miles are Aeroplan's "currency", not Air Canada's).

Also, the IT side of things may not make this very easy either.
Old Mar 10, 15, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SuddenDecompression View Post
My suspicion is that while Air Canada would like to do this, their contractual arrangements with Aeroplan either limit their ability to do so, or don't make it worth their while (as Aeroplan miles are Aeroplan's "currency", not Air Canada's).

I think it's likely that a mile is worth so little that it's effectively a free upgrade (or would be an astronomical number of miles), and Air Canada would prefer to reward their (Altitude) members than Aeroplan's (Distinction) members.
Old Mar 10, 15, 4:20 pm

As one of the biggest buyers of AE miles (if not the biggest) Air Canada treat AE miles as a currency too.
Old Mar 10, 15, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Geoflying View Post

Yes, thanks.
Also, in this thread, some posts noted the challenge of doing so.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ng-points.html

Agreed. But should we believe it's impossible?
I posted this topic about DL because I was trying to understand why AC/Aeroplan can't manage to offer this.

I'm not necessarily suggesting adding 20,000 miles to a Tango ticket and moving to J. And I understand there may be issues with those who can use eUpgrades.

Maybe it's because AC/AE are two separate companies. Still....
Old Mar 10, 15, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
Agreed. But should we believe it's impossible?
I posted this topic about DL because I was trying to understand why AC/Aeroplan can't manage to offer this.
AC IT? There's a lot of things that we can't do which our partners south of the border can do. Paying more for a ticket for more miles (UA) being one of them. Also, things that don't cost AC a whole lot like buying AQM's is also something we can't do. Until they fix that, the rest is something that we can only dream of.
Old Mar 11, 15, 11:04 am

AC has LMU. The problem is that one can never find out if it will be offered and the price. It's "all over the map".

For upgrade with points, "I" inventory is required, not P or Z or R. It is very difficult to find on many routes. They should be the same as eUpgrade IMO.

Unless one truly needs the "flexibility" of a Latitude fare, very often, buying a discounted business class fare makes much more sense even after factoring in the costs to cancel or change.

It used to be one of the best perks as an upper tier Altitude member to be able to fly business class at the cost of Latitude on a confirmed basis, not having to play aerolotto. This is no longer the case in many situations with AC's current pricing structure. For North American travel, I often find other airlines' F/J fares cheaper than AC's Latitude.
Old Mar 11, 15, 11:39 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I imagine that if AC offerred this it would probably be restricted to upgrading from Tango to Flex.
Old Mar 11, 15, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I imagine that if AC offerred this it would probably be restricted to upgrading from Tango to Flex.
You meant from Flex to Tango - an exclusive Air Canada experience to pay more for less.
Old Mar 11, 15, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
You meant from Flex to Tango - an exclusive Air Canada experience to pay more for less.
Love it

In all seriousness, there's no reason why this couldn't be done. AC can figure out what that upgrade is worth, then offer it to Aeroplan for a certain cash price.

Aeroplan figures out what that cash is worth in Aeroplan points, including its profit margin, and charges it to you.

Unfortunately, if you look at the yields on non-ClassicFlight Aeroplan redemptions, and what AC charges for LMUs, I suspect it would be pretty expensive. You could see yourself spending 50,000 points for a one-way upgrade within North America.

Search this Thread