Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Revenue-based Upgrades (with miles) ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revenue-based Upgrades (with miles) ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Love it

In all seriousness, there's no reason why this couldn't be done. AC can figure out what that upgrade is worth, then offer it to Aeroplan for a certain cash price.

Aeroplan figures out what that cash is worth in Aeroplan points, including its profit margin, and charges it to you.

Unfortunately, if you look at the yields on non-ClassicFlight Aeroplan redemptions, and what AC charges for LMUs, I suspect it would be pretty expensive. You could see yourself spending 50,000 points for a one-way upgrade within North America.

I posted this thread because I assume if DL can manage to do this, why not AC? (I assumed the answers were either IT or Aeroplan is another company or both)

As we've seen in the LMU thread, some of those prices are silly or insane, or occasionally reasonable.

Here is a screen shot from DL's page (the original on the site is fuzzy)
The quote from The Boarding Area article refers to the box on the left with the upgrade choice:
"Interestingly, at present the example on their website shows miles worth 1 cent apiece towards upgrades. It’s an open question whether that paltry valuation will stick over time, of course."

Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:29 pm
alc

Never done LMU, nor I had used AC Gift card for anything other than Flights and Adv Seating. But I guess one can redeem Aeroplan miles for AC Gift card and then use it for LMU. So, indirectly LMU with Miles. But those LMU is very expensive as noted above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.