Help with a Europe Itinerary

Old Feb 23, 15, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Help with a Europe Itinerary

We should have enough Aeroplans to book 4 tickets to Europe late this summer, for travel early next summer 2016. Unfortunately, we only have enough points for Y, but that's just as well, as I've read on this forum that J tickets to Europe can be hard to come by.

I am in the planning stages now, deciding where we'd like to go, and now just figuring out the 2 stopover cities + turnaround city we should visit. We have interest in going to Sweden, Norway, Germany, Netherlands and Switzerland. From what I've read, SAS is a no scam-charge airline, so I am hoping we can put together an UA/SK itinerary. We'd only be doing 2 weeks, so we won't likely be getting a rail pass to visit all 5 countries...just 4 nights in each city. I think Berlin and Stockholm are our preferences, but we are open to suggestions. We will have 2 children aged 11 and 13 in tow, so fun for them, plus educational, would be ideal.

Could someone provide an easy, no scamcharge sample itinerary that would include 3 cities, on popular routes, where 4 ticket availability would be a possibility?
Old Feb 23, 15, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K, FOTSG Platinum
Finding an itinerary like that, for that many people, is not a small amount of work - having just done it for family friends.

There are several experts who are happy to do this for you, but they generally charge a small fee on the order of $100 per passenger.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...king-services/

That said, the YQ on a single roundtrip YVR-LHR, in Y, can be nearly $700, so it's well worth it to either set this up yourself or find someone to do it for you.

Maybe someone else is feeling generous, but like I say, it can be quite a lot of work.

Last edited by YOWgary; Feb 23, 15 at 4:23 pm
Old Feb 23, 15, 8:48 pm

I used this to book my Europe trip:

http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2014/06...plan-bookings/

Find a good transatlantic flight there and back and you can work everything else around those. If you can't find connections to your transatlantic flight you can consider using one of your stopovers in North America (I took a 2 day stopover in DC before an SAS flight to Europe).
Old Feb 23, 15, 9:31 pm
alc

I am also planning my next EU trip next Summer for my family of 3 (read -- don't take my seats ) We are going to visit Scandinavia (CPH, OSL, & ARN) and Paris (we always stop CDG on every EU trip)

I actually been planning the routes for a few years now. I usually start planning the routes a few years in advance for EU trips. Then I will also monitor the purchase price on these routes, just to see if if I should purchase the ticket or redeem an AP ticket.

Here is a thread that I open on SAS forum on the price between Scandinavia and other major EU cities.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...andinavia.html

So, while it sound like a good idea to do 2 stops + destination for 60K, but the added Tax and booking fee on some of them actually end up very close to the actual flight price. Also, if you purchase the tickets, you can choose the best time that fit in your tight schedule - i.e. fly after 8pm/9pm instead of 3pm in the afternoon.

A suggestion will be go from YVR to EWR first (with stops on United) then EWR to ARN or OSL with SAS. That will be your to and from cities using SAS to avoid the fee on LH/AC if you choose the like of AMS or FRA/MUC.

For Germany & Switzerland, what cities you are looking for? you can do MUC and then drive ~2hr to Innsbruck, Austria for a couple of days and visit Swarovski Crystal Worlds. So that will let you hit that 5th countries you want

To even extend that MUC/Swarovski and you can fly to FRA (from ARN/OSL on SAS) and drive from FRA, stop at Würzburg. If you kids are in Lego, then also stop Günzburg for Legoland.

Goodluck.
Old Feb 24, 15, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Mattp and alc for the replies! This info will help a bunch! And don't worry alc, I am sure there are enough seats for us to go around!

For the record, I think it's fun to plan this stuff, which is why I am doing my research well in advance (although, not as far in advance as you, alc!) and I would never pay someone $100 to do this for me! Let the good times roll!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: