Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan booking - website glitch, but won't waive phone booking fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan booking - website glitch, but won't waive phone booking fee?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Angry Aeroplan booking - website glitch, but won't waive phone booking fee?

I've been trying to book a fairly straightforward Aeroplan redemption over the past few days (YYC-YHZ-YYZ-YYC on AC metal), but have been having issues with the Aeroplan website. The issue has been going on for at least 5 days now, and when do try to do a multi-city booking using priority rewards in biz class, you can't get past where you select the flights - the fare summary and "Book" button over at the right doesn't show up. We'd tried it in 3 different browsers on both PC's and Mac's, two different Aeroplan accounts (mine and spouse) and still can't get it to work, even though all other types of redemptions work OK.

Tried a few more times, and finally after 4 days ended up calling Aeroplan to try to book. It was so frustrating, it literally felt like we were in a Monty Python skit:
CS Agent 1: Offered to book it over the phone for a $30 fee, but said she can't waive the booking fee and offered to transfer to technical support
Tech Support: Said yes, this is a known technical issue, and I don't have a solution for it, so you're not able to book that itinerary online. Transferred back to CS agent
CS Agent 2: I can book it over the phone for a $30 fee, but am not allowed to waive the fee, even though it's a known issue and the tech support rep couldn't provide a solution. Asked to transfer to a Supervisor.
Supervisor: Acknowledges that this is a straightforward itinerary that should be able to be booked online, but says that because he doesn't have a "blanket waiver" from tech support, he can't waive the booking fee.

I'm in disbelief how Aeroplan can acknowledge that they've had a technical issue on their website for 4+ days that prevents booking an itinerary, and after speaking with 4 different reps in a call that lasted over 50 minutes, including a supervisor, they refused to waive the booking fee. Eventually was able to get through to a manager who agreed to waive the fee, but only "because he wanted to go home."

As a sidenote, I checked again tonight and it seems like the issue still isn't fixed (but again, seems isolated to Priority Rewards in Business Class using Multi-City tool).
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
New SE100K enhancement?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by gcashin
I've been trying to book a fairly straightforward Aeroplan redemption over the past few days ....

It was a Monty Python skit but in the real world of Aeroplan

Eventually was able to get through to a manager who agreed to waive the fee, but only "because he wanted to go home."
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
New SE100K enhancement?
Perhaps. I can only imagine how they'd treat the E75's though!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat w/Ambassador, HH Diam
Ughhhh tech support

Same issue. No multi city tool. Just a business booking between YHZ and YYT. Same great customer service response

Aeroplane. Taking it to a new level of low
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:25 pm
Suspended

They have never waived the phone booking fee for itineraries which cannot be done online. I think it's unfair, too, but there are bigger fights to pick than a $30 charge.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Aeropain
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Allvest
They have never waived the phone booking fee for itineraries which cannot be done online. I think it's unfair, too, but there are bigger fights to pick than a $30 charge.
I don't disagree with you Allvest. But...i'm usually the first person to just bend over and get [insert expletive here]. You're a man out of principle. I would have expected you to fight this one - i'm serious, not a tongue in cheek comment or anything!!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I don't disagree with you Allvest. But...i'm usually the first person to just bend over and get [insert expletive here]. You're a man out of principle. I would have expected you to fight this one - i'm serious, not a tongue in cheek comment or anything!!
I tried a few times years ago. Against the backdrop of $1700 YQs TPAC (ok, today was only 1400 something), it's a drop in the bucket.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

It's not like this is an itinerary where the flights aren't available online. The flights are clearly available on the search tool and you can select the flights, but the website glitch won't let you complete the booking. This is a simple itinerary that can be completed online as long as the Aeroplan site actually works.

There's a difference between itineraries that are not available on the Aeroplan website and itineraries that can be booked online, but their website doesn't work for multiple days.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:30 pm
Suspended

It's not like this is an itinerary where the flights aren't available online. The flights are clearly available on the search tool and you can select the flights, but the website glitch won't let you complete the booking. This is a simple itinerary that can be completed online as long as the Aeroplan site actually works.
does it give you a booking reference at all? If you get as far as a booking PNR, you can get it completed without paying the phone-in fee.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

does it give you a booking reference at all? If you get as far as a booking PNR, you can get it completed without paying the phone-in fee.
No, it doesn't get that far, as I'd mentioned above. After you select the flights, the "Book" icon doesn't show up. Just try to do a multi-city business class trip within Canada using priority rewards and you'll see.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:38 pm

No, it doesn't get that far, as I'd mentioned above. After you select the flights, the "Book" icon doesn't show up. Just try to do a multi-city business class trip within Canada using priority rewards and you'll see.
And on hold now for a supervisor

I am doing nothing fancy and the tool won't work
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:55 pm

I beat them down

Supervisor agreed to waive the fee after I told them I waited 90 mins on the transfer from tech to call ctr. I got tired of waiting and called super elite line to get to Aeroplane faster

They booked my biz class return without the fee. Persistence wins!
First world problem i realize!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by devriedd
Supervisor agreed to waive the fee after I told them I waited 90 mins on the transfer from tech to call ctr. I got tired of waiting and called super elite line to get to Aeroplane faster

They booked my biz class return without the fee. Persistence wins!
First world problem i realize!
Good to hear it worked out in the end. Kinda ridiculous you had to spend 90 minutes on the phone and escalate to a Supervisor to get it worked out.

You'd think that if they had a known technical problem with their website that prevented you from completing a booking that they'd offer to do it over the phone without charging you a phone booking fee without needing to plead with a Supervisor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.