Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada does NOT refund preferred seat fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan

In November, I purchased four preferred seats (ex-PY) for a YVR-YYZ leg on a 77P. Equipment switch, and we end up in row 56. I sent in my refund request using the online form on December 14, and received an acknowledgment stating that it had been forwarded to refund services. Four weeks later, with no action, I contacted refund services at their direct email address. Eight weeks later, still no response. Today I call AC, where a phone agent tells me there's no other way to contact refund services. When asked who should I talk to, she says I have to keep emailing them. How long - 2 more months? 6 months? 2 years? In the meantime, last week I had to cancel the credit card used to pay for the fees (did not want to pay for an extra year of the Aeroplan Amex - useless piece of junk now), so if they ever attempt a refund without talking to me first it will come back denied.

I don't fly AC based on loyalty any longer - accepting their new business model, I fly them when Tango + preferred seat fees are cheaper than similar seats on the competition. However, now the game appears to be that sometimes you will not get your preferred seat (which I can understand) nor will you get your money back. Welcome to aerolotto 2.0.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:56 am

It's a complete mystery why such a simple thing as an equipment change can't trigger an automatic refund of a prepaid seat selection. The fact that AC does not have systems in place to take care of these things tells me they truly are not interested in customer care.

We were on UA recently and had prepaid E+ seats. The flight was cancelled due to weather and we were rebooked. We were given E+ on the new flight and I didn't give it much further thought. My CC statement shows a refund of the original E+ fee, which is a big surprise but I guess their system automatically processes these things. Seems so simple!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by arf04
It's a complete mystery why such a simple thing as an equipment change can't trigger an automatic refund of a prepaid seat selection. The fact that AC does not have systems in place to take care of these things tells me they truly are not interested in customer care.
Howcome that doesn't come as a surprise.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
That's surprising. AC has always refunded preferred seat fees in my case. There was a period when E75K's were screwed last year due to a system bug. I got charged a whole bunch of times - and then it ended up refunded. Now while that's a bug, a few on my team have no AC elite status (at all), and they get a refund after an equipment switch.

Best case, email (not PM) Ben. [email protected]
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
That's surprising. AC has always refunded preferred seat fees in my case. There was a period when E75K's were screwed last year due to a system bug. I got charged a whole bunch of times - and then it ended up refunded. Now while that's a bug, a few on my team have no AC elite status (at all), and they get a refund after an equipment switch.

This issue came up and I'm pretty sure there was a direct reply from Ben L that if the ticket is cancelled, the Pref Seat fee is refunded. I could be wrong.

????
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
This issue came up and I'm pretty sure there was a direct reply from Ben L that if the ticket is cancelled, the Pref Seat fee is refunded. I could be wrong.

????
Common sense prevails, however, system fails.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
In November, I purchased four preferred seats (ex-PY) for a YVR-YYZ leg on a 77P. Equipment switch, and we end up in row 56. I sent in my refund request using the online form on December 14, and received an acknowledgment stating that it had been forwarded to refund services. Four weeks later, with no action, I contacted refund services at their direct email address. Eight weeks later, still no response. Today I call AC, where a phone agent tells me there's no other way to contact refund services. When asked who should I talk to, she says I have to keep emailing them. How long - 2 more months? 6 months? 2 years? In the meantime, last week I had to cancel the credit card used to pay for the fees (did not want to pay for an extra year of the Aeroplan Amex - useless piece of junk now), so if they ever attempt a refund without talking to me first it will come back denied.

I don't fly AC based on loyalty any longer - accepting their new business model, I fly them when Tango + preferred seat fees are cheaper than similar seats on the competition. However, now the game appears to be that sometimes you will not get your preferred seat (which I can understand) nor will you get your money back. Welcome to aerolotto 2.0.
Even if you cancelled and they refund your CC, it will show as a credit on the balance, in which Amex can issue you a cheque.

You can also dispute the charge and let them go after it.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
so if they ever attempt a refund without talking to me first it will come back denied.
This is not true. If you ever get a refund from a cancelled card, you'll get a headsup from the CC provider (via a statement). Then you ask them to send you a cheque, and then you close the account again. Not sure if they'll ding you with an annual fee when the account is "reopened" or w/e the terminology is but i'm sure you'll get a full refund
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left

????
Slightly different scenario though, as this is an equipment switch and not a cancellation. To Nomad's point, system fails.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin

How about just calling AC and asking them to process the refund? Agree that AC's back-end systems are poor when it comes to automatically processing preferred seat refunds. I've had to do this for family when they've been upgraded or purchased an LMU at OLCI. But each time I've called in and they've processed the refund right away.

Just suggesting that contacting Ben should be a last resort, not a first.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvr76
How about just calling AC and asking them to process the refund?
Strange, I thought I had written:

Today I call AC, where a phone agent tells me there's no other way to contact refund services. When asked who should I talk to, she says I have to keep emailing them.
I insisted three times. She said there is NO WAY to talk to a real person at refund services, and that THE ONLY WAY to contact them is via email or fax.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:54 am

Bens as a fourth resort would be ok then?

I sent in my refund request using the online form on December 14, and received an acknowledgment stating that it had been forwarded to refund services. Four weeks later, with no action, I contacted refund services at their direct email address. Eight weeks later, still no response. Today I call AC, where a phone agent tells me there's no other way to contact refund services.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
How about just calling AC and asking them to process the refund? Agree that AC's back-end systems are poor when it comes to automatically processing preferred seat refunds.

Agreed that Ben S should be last resort and only if requested.

My experience last week is the complete opposite of the OP. My family missconnected on AC222 where we had preferred seats and then got out on AC224 in the last row of E90. Preferred seat refund was posted to my credit card on the Monday, so either the agent at domestic connections processed by refund or there is indeed a computer program to automatically handle the refund.

One thought I will toss out for the community, it might be more advantageous to book each preferred seat segment on its own ticket rather than aggregating all seat selection fees onto a single ticket. This way the computer system will not hang up because of future or past seat choices.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Agreed that Ben S should be last resort and only if requested.
Whoa I didn't go that far, I suggested Ben L.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WR Cage
One thought I will toss out for the community, it might be more advantageous to book each preferred seat segment on its own ticket rather than aggregating all seat selection fees onto a single ticket. This way the computer system will not hang up because of future or past seat choices.
Can't do this with connecting flights (well, you can, but if you misconnect you are SOL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.