Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC increases YYC-LHR, decreases YEG-LHR for S15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC increases YYC-LHR, decreases YEG-LHR for S15

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
Also please spare us the AC is cutting capacity in Edmonton crap - Its cutting LHR on the whole it will deploy something like 15% (the stat was posted somewhere from the horses mouth in a press release/news piece) more seats to the airport this year. Thats not a cut.

Personally I think once there are 787-8s to spare Edmonton will get LHR back for the summer. The higher density configuration will give them back a cost advantage of KLM -AirFrance, HD has allowed them to be more aggressive with KLM-AF in the east.
For the record, AC scaled back not cut YEG-LHR service, available April on ( personally looking at a couple of flights based on the schedule times for connections in EU )

As for more AC flights out of YEG, adding more Q400's to match Westjet Q400's and calling it adding flights is comical
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Another pull down from a foreign carrier serving Canada.
US (AA) have cut YOWCLT. There goes another 18,000 seats. FFS

I don't want to give AC more credit than they deserve but Ottawa/Gatineau > South Florida is a (relatively) huge market. CLT feeds Southeast USA. AC extends YOWFLL year-round, goes double-daily on some days .... And now we get the cancellation of YOWCLT. Hard to argue US/AA's decision to cut was not heavily impacted by AC.

In the last 18 months, AA (and US) have pulled over 60,000 annual seats out of Ottawa market. This "undersupplied" talk needs to go away
A carrier that got virtually zero non-leisure traffic (I know several corporate travel agencies that explicitly lobby against it to business clients), is leaving the YOW market. Probably has nothing to do with the precipitous decline of the CAD on both their operating costs and leisure passenger demand (vacationing in FLL just became 20% more expensive). So... Yeah, whatever.

Frankly, can't be bothered with developments on one route, but you're entitled to believe what you want. Compare prices on YVR-LAX to YOW-LGA/DCA to get a better idea of what under supply means.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by yulred
Frankly, can't be bothered with developments on one route, but you're entitled to believe what you want. Compare prices on YVR-LAX to YOW-LGA/DCA to get a better idea of what under supply means.
Odd route choices to underpin your supply angle ....... US pulled off of double-daily YOWDCA within months of starting it. DL pulled off of double-daily YOWLGA within months of starting it.
A carrier that got virtually zero non-leisure traffic (I know several corporate travel agencies that explicitly lobby against it to business clients), is leaving the YOW market.
Frankly, can't be bothered with inclinations of a couple travel agencies.
Probably has nothing to do with the precipitous decline of the CAD on both their operating costs and leisure passenger demand (vacationing in FLL just became 20% more expensive). So... Yeah, whatever.
Oh, OK. So the demand for Canadian air travel to their largest market has declined precipitously? Can one assume we're no longer undersupplied?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:46 am

Air Canada's relative cost of labour (biggest airline expense)
Fuel is every airlines biggest expense.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
The US carriers are at a disadvantage to AC now - while both have to buy fuel in US dollars, AC gets revenue from US Pax in USD that covers a substantial portion of that. Unfortunately US carriers get Canadian revenues in CAD.

So when it comes to employees AC can augment its fuel bill with USD and pay its crews and staff in CAD. The US airlines can pay for nothing in CAD. Air Canada's relative cost of labour (biggest airline expense) is dropping, while it may not have the same fuel gains as the US carriers it has the effect of a broad across the board cost cut at AC.

And if you don't think this is a factor take a look at when the US carriers really started flying to all of the cities in Canada (like YQR and YXE) - it was when the Canadian dollar was much closer to par in a better economy. If you look across the board the US carriers are on retreat. YHZ->ORD is done for example... I never flew on it when it wasn't full... Me thinks this is just the beginning.

Also please spare us the AC is cutting capacity in Edmonton crap - Its cutting LHR on the whole it will deploy something like 15% (the stat was posted somewhere from the horses mouth in a press release/news piece) more seats to the airport this year. Thats not a cut.

Personally I think once there are 787-8s to spare Edmonton will get LHR back for the summer. The higher density configuration will give them back a cost advantage of KLM -AirFrance, HD has allowed them to be more aggressive with KLM-AF in the east.
I think you may want to re-think this US $ thing. AC does not have a advantage, but has a disadvantage with the low CDN $. First, US airlines have a lower operating cost(Wages, Fee, Benefits, Labour rules). AC has a lot of capital costs in US dollars. Finally, I would say most of AC US flights are Canadian pax, paying in CDN $, where US airlines flights, mostly have US pax, paying in US $.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:21 am

You may want to guess again. This isn't a lack of aircraft problem, they are removing YEGLHR frequencies and adding YYCLHR. The plane is being redeployed and LHR slots used elsewhere. Doesn't sound like an aircraft with 20% more seats (788) will be a fix on a route we all agree never was the most packed of ACs LHR network.

So, right now AC decided the 763 and slot pairs are better used to YYC an extra 4x/week than daily YEG. Logic would suggest if AC had a spare 788, they would put it on YYC which is not only more profitable but could use a capacity bump.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: aeroplan Elite, Priority Club. HHonours
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Any extra Yvr would just be leisure traffic.

Don't forget. . . . not too many years ago Ac had 3 (that's THREE) daily flights YVR to LHR vs BA 1. Now its 1 a day for AC vs BA's 2. I realize aircraft size comes into the discussion but BA runs 2 x 747's vs Ac's single HD 777.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by AC854
Don't forget. . . . not too many years ago Ac had 3 (that's THREE) daily flights YVR to LHR vs BA 1. Now its 1 a day for AC vs BA's 2. I realize aircraft size comes into the discussion but BA runs 2 x 747's vs Ac's single HD 777.
BA flies once daily to YVR. In the summer, I believe they increase to 10x/week, but it's certainly not double daily. Not sure what the implications of VS' retreat may mean for frequencies to LHR by AC/BA.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I think you may want to re-think this US $ thing. AC does not have a advantage, but has a disadvantage with the low CDN $. First, US airlines have a lower operating cost(Wages, Fee, Benefits, Labour rules). AC has a lot of capital costs in US dollars. Finally, I would say most of AC US flights are Canadian pax, paying in CDN $, where US airlines flights, mostly have US pax, paying in US $.
No-on AA (sample routes: YYZJFK, YYZMIA, YVRDFW), the amount of Canadian and US passport holders is about equal (for YYZJFK) and Canadians are the majority (on the last 2 routes.)
(not to ignore the slight bias as well, as a dual citizen would be required to enter the USA on a US passport, even if they reside in Canada.)
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
No-on AA (sample routes: YYZJFK, YYZMIA, YVRDFW), the amount of Canadian and US passport holders is about equal (for YYZJFK) and Canadians are the majority (on the last 2 routes.)
(not to ignore the slight bias as well, as a dual citizen would be required to enter the USA on a US passport, even if they reside in Canada.)
Yes, but if they reside in Canada, they would be most likely paying in CDN $.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:05 pm

Odd route choices to underpin your supply angle ....... US pulled off of double-daily YOWDCA within months of starting it. DL pulled off of double-daily YOWLGA within months of starting it.
All I've found about the US YOW-DCA route is that it was dropped due to a swap US-DL slot swap deal falling apart, with DL later announcing new routes using those slots.

Frankly, can't be bothered with inclinations of a couple travel agencies.
Depends on who the travel agent's main client is; Ottawa is more or less a one-trick town. I'll let you decide how important their concern about US unreliability and lack of frequency was.

Oh, OK. So the demand for Canadian air travel to their largest market has declined precipitously? Can one assume we're no longer undersupplied?
You're free to assume whatever you want to assume.

Meanwhile KL is adding flights to YEG (incidentally, what this thread is about) - marking a significant increase in international capacity to YEG (KL wiil be offering ~50,500 seats). AF is coming to YVR. TK has increased its capacity to Canada by ~70%, and AC and WS have both increased their capacity by over 6% over the past year (and those are just the examples of the top of my head - wait till Transport Canada's annual report comes out). All of this in a country with a population growth rate of 1.2%. Let me know where these seat fillers appeared from; apparently they didn't exist 1-2 years ago.

But, as you've pointed out, the only important thing to note here is that US cut 18,000 seats to Ottawa, which basically negates all the capacity increases above because...well...I don't know, but you do.

As for your biggest market, Canadian travel to the US in Dec 2014 was 8.6% lower than it was in Dec 2013. Go figure. Its on the Statscan website.

Last edited by yulred; Feb 23, 2015 at 8:13 pm
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
BA flies once daily to YVR. In the summer, I believe they increase to 10x/week, but it's certainly not double daily. Not sure what the implications of VS' retreat may mean for frequencies to LHR by AC/BA.
Unless I'm reading the timetable wrong (entirely possible), its 12 weekly, with a second flight on M, T, W, S, S
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:25 am

Another pull down from a foreign carrier serving Canada.
US (AA) have cut YOWCLT. There goes another 18,000 seats. FFS

In the last 18 months, AA (and US) have pulled over 60,000 annual seats out of Ottawa market. This "undersupplied" talk needs to go away
YOW is a Star Alliance market these days - I doubt YOWPHL will last much longer either.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Is AMS really more efficient now that Star operates from LHR T2?
It's a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG walk underneath that LONG LONG LONG LONG tunnel at LHR T2.

When you connected I had to walk through all of that walkway to the main building, then walk back.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:35 am

You're free to assume whatever you want to assume.
It's your undersupply assumption I keep trying to wrap my head around as I read monthly schedule reductions from airlines serving Canada.
Meanwhile KL is adding flights to YEG (incidentally, what this thread is about) - marking a significant increase in international capacity to YEG (KL wiil be offering ~50,500 seats). AF is coming to YVR. TK has increased its capacity to Canada by ~70%, and AC and WS have both increased their capacity by over 6% over the past year (and those are just the examples of the top of my head - wait till Transport Canada's annual report comes out). All of this in a country with a population growth rate of 1.2%. Let me know where these seat fillers appeared from; apparently they didn't exist 1-2 years ago.
Agree, all nice additions to Canada. Great to see.
Meanwhile, UA, US/AA, and AS cut 500,000 annual seats from Canada last year. Sounds like the ups and downs one would expect of market providers acting and reacting to customer demand
But, as you've pointed out, the only important thing to note here is that US cut 18,000 seats to Ottawa, which basically negates all the capacity increases above because...well...I don't know, but you do.
Well, just those and the other 500,000 annual seats pulled from the market off the top of my head. (Not even including Air India, VS ... Were those pull downs in 2014?)
As for your biggest market, Canadian travel to the US in Dec 2014 was 8.6% lower than it was in Dec 2013. Go figure. Its on the Statscan website.
Ummm, OK. Does that mean CAN<>USA air travel is close to equilibrium?
Originally Posted by CorSter
YOW is a Star Alliance market these days - I doubt YOWPHL will last much longer either.
Whoa, whoa. Let's pump the brakes a little. Surely US won't totally abandon the Ottawa market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.